Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hamhanded
    • Apr 2019

Black Peanut Butter - Oil Sludge

How do I clean sludge from a crude oil spill caused by a leaking pipe on an oil rig?
    I was anchored October 2nd (for the Pacific Air Show) when a major crude oil leak sent thousands of gallons of oil into the anchorage area off the coast of Southern California. My Anchor rope/chain/anchor got covered in the most horrible black sludge that stuck to everything it touched like warm peanut butter. It got all over the anchor locker on my 25 Ft. Bayliner, all over the bow pulpit, forward decking etc while pulling up the anchor. It was impossible to avoid it. Some of the sludge came up in globs 2 inches in diameter and 24 inches long. I will have to replace 100' of anchor line, gloves, pants and shirt. The hull has oil sludge stuck to it from the water line down to the bottom in blotches, bow to stern. It's a crying mess. I pull the boat out of the water in 2 days. I'll see the full mess when its back on the trailer but meanwhile does anyone have a tip on what to use to clean this mess. I already tried laundry detergent on some deck spots and it doesn't touch it.
    Thanks ahead,,
  • Metrodriver
    Guru
    • Jul 2019

Ask marine wildlife conservationists. They use stuff to clean birds and rocks on beaches. I am sure it would work on boats. I was supposed to be in El Segundo now, planned to go to the beach on the EL Segundo / Huntington Beach border. Two month ago it was a 17 million gallon sewage spill (I got caight in it while in the water) now it is the oil spill that closed the beach.
    1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
    5.8L OMC Cobra
    2 1/2 year restoration project after "all you need to do is put the rebuilt engine back in".
    Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

• smitty477
      Guru
      • Mar 2007

If not done already -
      - contact local CG and file a report
      - notify your insurance company
      - notify and claim your loss (in writing) with Amplify energy and ask what/when they are doing to correct the damage
      Northport NY

Comment

• Hamhanded
        Hamhanded commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks smitty477, I have an official claim in now and waiting for an authorized clean-up site to open closer to my home. I may have to trailer it back to Newport Beach (about 20 miles). However, the claim adjusters said to wait a couple more days, as they have been commissioning new decontamination/cleaning spots every couple of days. It's a mess, but apparently will be taken care of.
    • talman
      Founding Member
      • Nov 2000

This was big news today. Best of luck.
      Tally and Vicki
      "Wickus" Meridian 341
      MMSI 338014939

Comment

• cptncptn
        Seasoned Member
        • Nov 2015

Dawn dish soap. That is what they clean the wildlife with
        Hino W06
        St. Louis, MO
        ”It’s A Wonderful Life”

Comment

• dktool
          Guru
          • Jul 2010

There's a hotline to call and file a claim. 866-985-8366. That's the number oc sherriffs gave me.
          " WET EVER "
          1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
          mmsi 338108404
          mmsi 338124956
          "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

• 706jim
            Seasoned Member
            • Aug 2007

Varsol or gasoline. Needless to say using gasoline can be dangerous. This is what used to be used during wartime to clean machinery.
            2007 Discovery 246
            300mpi BIII
            Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

• Hamhanded
              • Apr 2019

Thanks to everyone for your tips. Crude oil is a hazardous material which may require me to take the boat to a special cleaning center set up to handle claims. I'm on their list and waiting for a center to open closer to my home. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...