Generator vs. Inverter-gctid341283

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator vs. Inverter-gctid341283

My boat is safely tucked away for the Winter and I'm already starting to think about Spring commissioning. My problem is that the boat is located at least 300 Ft. from the cloest electrical outlet. I do not want to have to lay out 300 Ft of extension cord to run the battery charger and power tools I'll use on the boat so I'm thinking about alternatives.

I figure the battery charger (3 bank) draws about 400 watts and I'm not sure about power drills, but I think a 1000 watt unit will do the trick. My question is am I better off using a 1000 watt 2 stroke generator or a 1000 watt inverter (I can park my pick up next to the boat and idle the engine while using the inverter). I was thinking generator at first but am now leaning towards an inverter due to less maintenance and no fuel/oil mixing.

I do not have any experience with inverters and would like some feedback.

Thanks,

Tom

A 1000W inverter will run a single small power tool, such as a 3/8" drill or a jigsaw. It will not run a large shop vac or a worm-drive circular saw.

WRT the option of a generator, why do you say a 2-stroke generator? Most are 4-strokes; I don't think I've seen a 2-stroke. Is there a particular version you're considering?

Comment

I'm in the same boat Tom, no pun intended. We keep our toys stored on a property with no electric. For small jobs I use my Jeep and a 1000 watt Cobra inverter. It will run drills, sanders, wet/dry vac ect. with no problem. For jobs that need a alot of electric I bring the boat to the house.

To answer your question I would say how often and for how long will you need electric. If it will be for hours at a time I would go with the generator, otherwise the inverter will work just fine.
      John Rupp
      1989 2455 Ciera Sunbridge
      5.8 OMC Cobra

1989 3288
      Starshine
      Hino 135

Comment

TerribleTom4085 wrote:
        My boat is safely tucked away for the Winter and I'm already starting to think about Spring commissioning. My problem is that the boat is located at least 300 Ft. from the cloest electrical outlet. I do not want to have to lay out 300 Ft of extension cord to run the battery charger and power tools I'll use on the boat so I'm thinking about alternatives.

I figure the battery charger (3 bank) draws about 400 watts and I'm not sure about power drills, but I think a 1000 watt unit will do the trick. My question is am I better off using a 1000 watt 2 stroke generator or a 1000 watt inverter (I can park my pick up next to the boat and idle the engine while using the inverter). I was thinking generator at first but am now leaning towards an inverter due to less maintenance and no fuel/oil mixing.

I do not have any experience with inverters and would like some feedback.

Thanks,

Tom
        An inverter will be cheaper than a generator. However, it will only run so long on your truck battery unless you keep the engine running. That will get expensive after a while. So, you'd be ok for drilling holes or sawing a few boards using the inverter, but should consider the generator for extensive polishing or vacuuming
        2007 Discovery 246
        300mpi BIII
        Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Why not buy a Honda 2000 Not Cheap but it is small and can be used when you are boating and need 110 We packed one around for years until we installed a diesel gen set

Comment

Thanks for the feedback so far. Mike, this is the generator I was thinking of getting:

http://www.harborfreight.com/800-rat...tor-66619.html

The EU2000 is the ultimate solution, however, I would have no other use for it than working on the boat while on the hard. I have a 5Kw Genset to run the house if we lose power (it came in very handy when after Hurricane Irene) and the boat already has a generator.

Tom

Comment

If you can, check how noisy that machine is, see if it has a DB rating. 2 cycle gensets can be very loud. Plus its really small rating, 800 watts w/max 900, won't run much. On the plus side, its really cheap, Honda will set you back around $900.00 or so.

My 4087 wasn't fitted with a built-in Genset, I ended up getting a Honda 2000. Very quiet, runs for ever on a gallon, always starts first pull. Will keep my batteries topped up and heat my water tank in under an hour when on the hook.

Machog
              1996 4087 Lazy Days
              2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
              2011 Porsche Cayman
              2010 Lexus IS 250C
              2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

TerribleTom4085 wrote:
                Thanks for the feedback so far. Mike, this is the generator I was thinking of getting:

The EU2000 is the ultimate solution, however, I would have no other use for it than working on the boat while on the hard. I have a 5Kw Genset to run the house if we lose power (it came in very handy when after Hurricane Irene) and the boat already has a generator.

Tom
                Whoa - $130! They're getting practically disposable. I'll bet it's [SIZE]4 wrote:
                LOUD[/SIZE]!

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
                  Whoa - $130! They're getting practically disposable. I'll bet it's [SIZE]4 wrote:
                  LOUD[/SIZE]!
                  For that price, who cares. For what he wants it for......

Also, don't believe the Manufacturer db ratings.. Trailer boats mag (I believe) tested the Honda and Yamaha 2000 watt units a few years ago. Neither made their stated rating. Almost 10 db off the package, as I recall.

...and the Yamaha won :drama

Comment

Most are 4-strokes; I don't think I've seen a 2-stroke. Is there a particular version you're considering?
                    Harbor Freight has this junky little thing for $99 on sale right now that sounds worse than a chainsaw.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback......I think I'll be shopping for an inverter.

Tom

Comment

TerribleTom4085 wrote:

Tom
                        Tom,

I have this exact generator. It's not too loud and works. I have abused it on the farm running in winter & summer. Starting from -30 etc. After 3 years it now takes Ether to get it started, but once started only runs for about 15 minutes. We used it for approx. 100 hours, which is probably throw away at some point. It's a 2 stroke.

I would not recommend this product.

Comment

Here's another Honda clone, maybe worth a try for what you need.

Who knows, maybe we will eventually stumble across a good knock off.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...22-193962900-2
                          " WET EVER "
                          1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
                          mmsi 338108404
                          mmsi 338124956
                          "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

Sorry, I can't find a link to the Costco generator at the website. At my local Costco in Seattle, they have a Honda EU2000 knock off that that sells for around $600. 2000 Watt, 1 gallon tank, around same DB as Honda and Yamaha, can be stacked (two units connected together), built in line conditioner (sine wave) for electronics.
                            "Adventurer" - 1986 Trophy 2560 383 Stroker/VP280
                            "Drag-a-Line" - 1994 Bayliner 1700 Capri Olympic Edition - Force 120

Comment

LostLeader wrote:
                              Sorry, I can't find a link to the Costco generator at the website. At my local Costco in Seattle, they have a Honda EU2000 knock off that that sells for around $600. 2000 Watt, 1 gallon tank, around same DB as Honda and Yamaha, can be stacked (two units connected together), built in line conditioner (sine wave) for electronics.
                              I found the one they sell at Costco Canada

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....4-0525c3ee9752

Thinking I may get this one myself.
                              1988 3218
                              Triple “O"
                              Hino diesels

Seadoo Wake 170

Comment

Working...
                              X