Trailering Help-gctid352042

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailering Help-gctid352042

I have a 2859 on a triple ax trailer and would like suggestions concerning proper tie down. My first concern is hauling pressure from the winch on the bow eye. Is it best to loosen the winch slightly after boat is loaded & on level ground to eliminate extra presure on the bow eye resulting from trailer flex due to highway bumps etc.? Also have thought about using a tie down strap over the front of the bow anchored to the trailer frame. Plan on about 3-4 200 mile trips per season and am worried about putting too much faith in what appears to be a small bow eye and pulling it out. Thanks for any help you can offer. Arnie

When I pull my boat I use a ratchet strap around the bow running it thru the 2 cleats on the bow. I do not loosen the strap to the bow eye. I also have a chain to the bow eye as back up as well (2 actually). What you can not see is the two straps for the stern.

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
    1998 3055 Ciera
    (yes, a 1998)
    Previous boat: 1993 3055
    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
    Sea Doo XP
    Sea Doo GTI SE
    Life is short. Boats are cool.
    The family that plays together stays together.
    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

I don't loosen the winch, but keep it tight. The bow eye is backed sufficiently to hold the load, it won't pull out. I don't use tie downs on the bow attached to the trailer but they couldn't hurt. We tow over 500 miles per year.

Comment

Been doing this for a lot of years.

Reference the photo:

The bow eye has a turnbuckle and chain to the trailer frame to diminish streses to teh whinch stand while stopping.

Another small chain/turnbuckle from the wihch stand to the bow eye, just in case of failure in the winch and/or cable

The stern has nylon straps between the stern eyes and the trailer frame in case of the winch stand failing. This is also required by Florida state law. This would also keep the boat onthe trailer in case of a collision........

Other things I have done.

I added 4 yellow marking lights to the trailer sides to light it up like a xmas tree. The cannot say they did not see it. The trailers rear lights are LED and very bright.

My friend has a 2859 in a 3 axle trailer. He got into a situation where he locked up the tow vehicle brakes and the trailer brakes came on strong. His bow stand failed, and moved to the side, letting the boat come forward 2 feet.

After changing his BVDs, they got it back on the trailer OK, tied it down with a lot of rope, and got it home OK. He asked me to help him rig the chains like I have rigged. And we put a more substantial bow stand on.

Some of the boaters may laugh at all my safety stuff, but I done have problems like the above.

I love boating, but don't want to get hurt or hurt someone else.
        Captharv 2001 2452
        "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

+1 with capnharv...

I trailered a 25' with a boat/trailer weight of 8500lbs. I had two additional chains on the bow eye, set up exactly at capnharv with a turnbuckle. I also used stern straps from the transom eyes to the trailer frame. Some may think this is overkill, but on a boat this big going 50-60 on the freeway... better safe than sorry.

Ken

Pugetsoundog (woof)

Comment

How is the upper end of the turnbuckle attached to the bow eye, I couldn't see it.

Comment

The upper end of the t-buckle is a "J" hook. The lower end is an eye, attached to the chain. Everything attached to the bow eye is a hook.

Overkill? I think not. Better to do all this than have a 4 ton boat on top of you and your vehicle.

Gotta allow for the idiots on the road.

I have had idiots pull out in front of me where I smoked 8 tires stopping........

Ever see a boat launch off the trailer onto a city street? I was called out years ago where someones winch stand failed, no safety straps or chains. On top of his boat and pride being damaged, the COPs gave him a ticket for an unsecured load. This was in 5 o'clock traffic....

Took a crane to put it back on the trailer.
              Captharv 2001 2452
              "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

The winch cable being drawn up tightly helps to create the triangulation of trailer frame and hull.

IOW, when tight, this creates load paths through the trailer frame, through the hull and to the attachment point of winch tower and bow eye.

Keep 'em tight.

As for stern tie downs on a boat of this size and potential mass/inertia, this holds the rear of the trailer up firmly to the hull should they encounter zero gravity.

Added cable/chain security to the winch tower to an AFT point is a great idea.

Has to do with forward inertia against the winch tower in a scenario such as what Harv explained.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I think it is a great idea and will do the same with mine! Thanks :coo-

Comment

My trailer actually has a welded eye for the safety chain. This eye is about a foot behind (toward stern) of the bow eye position. I have the largest chain with hook I can fit in place and keep winch tight for hauling. I loosen once haul is over. My boat is much smaller than yours but much larger than I want hitting me in the back of the head:-)

Comment

Just an FYI..... there are two safety chains that can be discussed here!

One being the standard and common chain for bow eye to winch tower, and one being an additional surge force protection for the winch tower to main trailer frame should we find ourselves braking hard.

Something like this would be a typical safety chain to prevent the boat from shifting aft.

With the above, and a larger boat, you can see that it wouldn't require much forward force to bend the winch tower forward and over.

Something like this would be for winch tower forward force prevetion.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/655126=24780-boat trailer winch tower support.jpg[/img]
                      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

yup, it is the additional one fixed aft of the tower that I really like! Want the boat to stop at the same time I do.

Comment

Timely Thread.

We are moving our 2859 in March to the our back yard so I can work on her at home for this years projects. It's a 2 hour drive each way.

I sure like the idea of securing the bow eye to the tailer to keep the boat from moving forward.

I seen this at the boat yard after she was put on the trailer. Before they moved the boat this cable was hooked onto the eye and ran aft to another welded ring on the trailer, but didn't ask why.

Never considered a failer of the winch tower on our 2755 trailer, but after reading this, I'm going to add a chain for that.

Comment

Working...
                          X