Battery Question (Semi boat related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Question (Semi boat related)

Hi, Group, I'm going to have to purchase new batteries for our travel trailer this come spring and was wondering which Group 24 would give the max reserve amperage preferably lead acid? I also use Group 24's as starting batteries on our Carver it would be good to know for the boat also. thank, Jim
    Jim
    1975 2865 Carver Santa Cruz
    Twin 215hp 302 Ford Waukesha
    Twin Straight Shaft Drive
    Tow Vehicle 2002 Ford F250 Superduty
    7.3L Powerstroke
    Boise, Id

Lead acid batteries are pretty simple. More weight = better. Its all about the weight. Which is a serious problem on the boat. We've got 4 x Rolls Surrette 550s in our 5th wheel which is serious overkill for the way we use it but damn they're nice. Except when I have to move them.
    R.J.(Bob) Evans
    Buchanan, SK
    Cierra 2755
    Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
    Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

wet cell or gel cell is the best options for deep cycle use in either application... in the boat where you have a need to start the engine, a 12volt bank of (4) 6v batts will do the job, but not a 12v bank of (2) 6v batts....

for starting, the bank needs to have enough quick amps to deliver quickly, which deep cycle batts are not capable of without a chance of causing them some damage, UNLESS there is enough of them in the bank so none of them will be over-taxed individually when the key switch is turned...

AGM can be used as deep cycle also, but not as desirable as the gel type... and the agm's are more expensive.

as for size, the g24 batteries are about 70-75amp batteries, where the g27 is about 90-100amps... the G31 is anywhere from 100 to 125 amp, depending on quality.... g27 and g31 are the most popular when upgrading, as the g24 batts that manufactures place in rvs is strictly for monetary reasons, NOT for adequacy.... unless one is plugged in all the time.

in a perfect world, a battery has a cycle life of about 400, which this number is not "fixed", but is reduced in proportion to the amount of discharge the battery gets and how long it is before it gets fully recharged.... a battery that gets pulled deep may not get its 200 cycles before it needs to be replaced, and a battery that gets lightly used and quickly recharged to full capacity may get 400+ cycles....

so, what size and how many in the bank it depends on your usage and how often you plug in to recharge them... personally, I go as big and as many as I have room for, because we boondock mostly, AND when one considers that when the batts are pulled too low, it takes life away from them, with the larger bank of amps I dont have to worry about battery damage as much.

PLUS, more batteries can give an exponential amount more amps/life due to the "peukert effect", of which you can do your own research on if you chose to try and understand it.... of which, one also needs to know what "exponential" means, to grasp the concept of the peukert effect.

NU LIBERTE'
      Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
      5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
      N2K equipped throughout..
      2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
      2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
      '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
      Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Cheaper and dirty: get two golf cart batteries at Costco or Sams. Wire them (6V) in series for 12V at 220amp hours. Any 12V smart or automatic charger will handle it In my 2452, which has a niorcold 0051 fridge, it ran the fridge for a week, on the trailer, with the power disconnected.
        Caveat: they weigh 75-80 pounds each.. Have some help when handling them. Also vober all terminals for safety.
        Captharv 2001 2452
        "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Originally posted by captharv View Post
          Cheaper and dirty: get two golf cart batteries at Costco or Sams. Wire them (6V) in series for 12V at 220amp hours. Any 12V smart or automatic charger will handle it In my 2452, which has a niorcold 0051 fridge, it ran the fridge for a week, on the trailer, with the power disconnected.
          Caveat: they weigh 75-80 pounds each.. Have some help when handling them. Also vober all terminals for safety.
          I run my 246 with two group 31's in parallel. I think they would be good for three or four days for the fridge. Don't know about a week.
          2007 Discovery 246
          300mpi BIII
          Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Originally posted by captharv View Post
            220 amps from two 6 volt batteries for a 12 volt application: Don’t forget to divided by 2, its a 110 amp battery bank at 12 volts.
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556
            Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            Misc. projects thread
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post

220 amps from two 6 volt batteries for a 12 volt application: Don’t forget to divided by 2, its a 110 amp battery bank at 12 volts.
              Yes 220 amp hours at 12 volts two GC's in series. No you don't divide by two.
              2007 Discovery 246
              300mpi BIII
              Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Originally posted by 706jim View Post

Yes 220 amp hours at 12 volts two GC's in series. No you don't divide by two.
                Just to clarify:
                When connecting two 6 volt, 100 amp hour batteries in series, it becomes a 100 amp 12 volt bank. When connected in parallel, it becomes a 200 amp 6 volt bank.

https://www.se.com/pt/en/faqs/FA229757/

If the 6 volt GC batteries mentioned above are rated at 220 amp hours each then yes you’ll have a 220 amp hour 12 volt bank.
                Sorry if I misunderstood captharv’s post
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556
                Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

A good 6 v Deep Cycle (in a G/C style) will typically offer 180 to 225 Amp Hours, depending on the brand.
                  When paired in series, the voltage becomes 12+, but the Amp Hours remain at 180 to 225.
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Here is the math: My Norcold DE0051 has a compressor which draws 2.35 amps when running. (Measured with a calibrated, laboratory grade DVM.) I timed it and it runs approximately 25% of the time, so call it 2.35/4= .587 or 0.6 AH rounded.. 220 ah /0.6 is 366 hours or 15 days. using a 50% safety factor, a week is a piece of cake.
                    The data was taken on the trailer sitting in my yard.
                    Nextly, I have a 15 amp pro mariner fly-back smart charger in my 2452, which came with the boat. When the boat has shore power or is in my yard, it is connected and doing its micro-processer thing, Automatically. I get 6-7 years out of my batteries. Oh, yes. Watch the batteries and when they show low in water, fill ONLY with distilled water, only after it is charged. And wear eye protection. Sulferic acid is very caustic in the eyes.
                    Gold cart batteries are designed to produce large amounts of current for a longer time. They are capable of deep cycle, however, do not run any battery down past 25%. It hates it.
                    Captharv 2001 2452
                    "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Working...
                    X