Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trim tab size 90 2755 owners-gctid351817

2755 owners if you've changed your trim tabs what size /style did you use

Doug, Why are you changing your trim tabs... just curious. I have the same boat with a 350 and alpha 1. I wouldn't say I pop up on plane, but at the same time I'd be reluctant to change the trim tabs. Do you have the big block? Great boat!! Mark '90 2755

Comment

I have the stock tabs also, with a 5.8L - I feel that the boat is very quick to come on plane and rarely lower the tabs to help that, just using the tabs to level her while under way.

Comment

[email protected] wrote:
        Doug, Why are you changing your trim tabs... just curious. I have the same boat with a 350 and alpha 1. I wouldn't say I pop up on plane, but at the same time I'd be reluctant to change the trim tabs. Do you have the big block? Great boat!! Mark '90 2755
        Mark

Yes it is a good boat, one of the reasons I got this one is because it has the small block 5.8 ( 351 m). I do have trim tabs they are the stock 8x12. I wanted to change my tabs for a couple of reasons

#1 last season I started having problems with the hoses and the pump which caused me to have to pull the boat out in the middle of the season so I would like a little piece of mind

#2 I wanted to change up to the latest model and include tab position indicators

#3 at slower speeds I get a lot of bow wounder

#4 I would like to be able to hold the bow down at slower speeds (I have to go a pretty good spd to do that but I dont remember what speed it was)

Comment

onthelake wrote:
          I have the stock tabs also, with a 5.8L - I feel that the boat is very quick to come on plane and rarely lower the tabs to help that, just using the tabs to level her while under way.
          onthelake

I wounder how differently you distribute the weight in comparison to me do you have dual batteries, is hot water tank being used? how many on board?

Comment

I would have at least a 12X18 drop fin.

If you have bennetts, the same actuator will work.

My 2452 came with 9X12. really bad. I went to 12X12 and big difference.

Then went 12X12 drop fin, and again a big difference. The 2452 has a lot of top sail with all the windows and hardtop. Its adversely effected by wind. SO, teh tabs help.

Also, we have a lot os no-wake zones here in Fl. The tabs help a lot with bow wander when all the way down at slow speed.

And lastly, some of the counties have a 25 MPH speed limit in certain waters. W/o tabs, really rides bow high. With tabs, rides level and more confortable.
            Captharv 2001 2452
            "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

dwoodford wrote:
              onthelake

I wounder how differently you distribute the weight in comparison to me do you have dual batteries, is hot water tank being used? how many on board?
              We use to carry two adults and a young one, full fridge, full cooler, full water tank, full fuel. I forgot to mention a repower on the 5.8L with holley which makes it very snappy.

3 batteries (2 for the house bank) I moved one to the STB side and moved all the batteries ahead as far as I could. Also, add a bit of weight to the cabin with some modifications. You'll find that in the link below.

I don't drive this boat at hull speed, so hadn't worried about the wander.

Get the tabs that have the sides turned down into the water. This will give you 4 more edge to help the wander. Have them on our 2859 and when they are down only a little, this helps. The boat still wanders but not as much and slows the cycle of correction.

Comment

Bennett recommends The largest size that will fit.I installed 12X24s with auto trim control they are twice the size of the old ones.Of course your boat may not need em that big.Mine will for sure.

Comment

Thanks for all the feed back guys :beer- I hope I can also get info from people that have the same transom with the integrated swim platform so I know what size they were able to squeeze into such a small area

Comment

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/655030=24765-drop fin 104113.jpg[/img]Drop Fin, that was the words I was looking for.Here is a site that lists a few sizes.http://www.bargainboatparts.com/p-10...ssemblies.aspx

Comment

dwoodford wrote:
                      Thanks for all the feed back guys :beer- I hope I can also get info from people that have the same transom with the integrated swim platform so I know what size they were able to squeeze into such a small area
                      Bigger is better and the drop fins really help. Even though it sounds counter intuitive, the bigger Trim Tabs will actually create less drag in relation to the lift they generate. This is because they have to be deflected to less of an angle to make the same amount of lift as a smaller Trim Tab.

Do you have a photo of your transom?

Tom McGow

Bennett Marine
                      sigpic"Like" Bennett Marine on Facebook

Comment

QUOTE=Tabman;655071]Bigger is better and the drop fins really help. Even though it sounds counter intuitive, the bigger Trim Tabs will actually create less drag in relation to the lift they generate. This is because they have to be deflected to less of an angle to make the same amount of lift as a smaller Trim Tab.Do you have a photo of your transom?Tom McGowBennett Marine[/QUOTE]Hello Tom I was hoping for your input I had sent you a PM about a week ago asking if you've came across this application before, I will see if I can get a picture posted asap. here ya go sorry you might have to turn your computor sideways

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/655100=24777-left transom.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/655100=24778-right transom.jpg[/img]

Comment

I had the same boat 5.8 in a 1989 2755.

I found the trim tabs worked good and was not that dependent on them once I added 2 house batteries and a 50 lb charger the boat was a little stern heavy with 4 or more adults on. Once I added a windlass and 100' of chain and 100' of rope there was never a problem again when it came to getting up on plan with even 8 adults in the boat. The tabs worked much better for slow speed wobble and keeping the boat level.

Ken
                          300SD all options sold.

Comment

I change from smaller tabs, To 12 X 12 tabs. Wish I would have done this years ago. Works great. hops right up on plane.

another photo.

Comment

Working...
                            X