Black smoke.. in the summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by infy View Post
    I'm fairly satisfied what happened was due to the bottom growth. Given that I never had any black smoke problems over the winter. So.. solved? I guess we will find out once I get it cleaned.

But I'm thinking I should still go ahead and pull the injectors and have them checked... It will be one less thing to worry about. They look original. And the engine paint hasn't even been broken. Browsing the service manual, looks like I need a special tool:

Looks like a threaded bolt with a weight. I could probably put this together at Lowes/home depot.

I'll need to remove the metal lines. You remove all the injector connections and take the fuel line off as 1 part right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200730_143114.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	594305
    its a diesel engine.... if it runs dependably, dont mess with it. diesels can go for many many years with nothing more than changing the oil and filters periodically, even after setting for many years without being ran, they are still very dependable runners as long as the the fuel is clean.....
    if there is nothing wrong with the injectors at this time, you have a much greater chance of causing a problem by trying to "fix something that isnt broke" than you have of the injectors causing you any troubles for the next many years.... as long as you keep the fuel reasonably clean...

what can be done is to add a good amount of fuel system cleaner/conditioner (seafoam is great for diesel engine fuel systems also) and let it do the expensive injector and pump cleaning work for you...

NU LIBERTE'
    Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
    5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
    N2K equipped throughout..
    2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
    2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
    '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
    Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Don't fix what ain't broken.

I am sure that there is plenty of other things on a 30yr old boat that could use attention.
      1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
      1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

How long has it been since fuel filters were changed? Always start there on a diesel as it will often solve the problem and it's cheaper too.
        1984 Contessa Sunbridge 2850
        Twin 5.7's 260 hp/VP 280 drives
        Ogden, UT

Comment

Intercooler boots can cause the black smoke too if they are blown or cracked.
          1984 Contessa Sunbridge 2850
          Twin 5.7's 260 hp/VP 280 drives
          Ogden, UT

Comment

As long as the issue really is the bottom causing a huge load. Otherwise something's not right. Visibility is poor here so I can't see the bottom very well. I'm assuming it's a mess.

I'm out on the water again testing things out. 1000 or 1100 rpm and.. they can probably see me from space.

Name:	Screenshot_20200731-181530_Gallery.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	758.0 KB
ID:	594417

Name:	Screenshot_20200731-181855_Gallery.jpg
Size:	689.7 KB
ID:	594418 ​​​​​​​

Doesn't seem to taper off.

Current boats: 1989 Bayliner Avanti 4285 & 1986 Catalina 30 Sailboat
            Past boats:
            1979 Catalina 30
            1997 Bayliner 2855
            1996 Bayliner 2855
            1990 Bayliner Avanti 2955

Comment

You can spray all the charge pipe tube couplers with a heavy dawn dish soap and water mixture then look for bubbles. A boost leak is easy to spot.

Comment

Originally posted by infy View Post
                As long as the issue really is the bottom causing a huge load. Otherwise something's not right. Visibility is poor here so I can't see the bottom very well. I'm assuming it's a mess.

I'm out on the water again testing things out. 1000 or 1100 rpm and.. they can probably see me from space.

Name:	Screenshot_20200731-181530_Gallery.jpg
Size:	758.0 KB
ID:	594417

Name:	Screenshot_20200731-181855_Gallery.jpg
Size:	689.7 KB
ID:	594418

Doesn't seem to taper off.
                I have seen plenty of situation where bottom growth would not allow the boat to plane and led to huge black smoke in their attempts to get over hull speed.
                Bottom is first item to cross off list - even a couple of dozen larger barnacles well placed on a prop can have a large affect.
                - How long has the boat sat between not having a problem and now having that problem?
                - Second would beintake air - is this one engine or both?
                - Are both engines equally (exactly) rpm challenged?
                - Was there any recent work done to either engine at all?
                - Was there any projects/work done to the engine room that could have affected anything?
                Northport NY

Comment

I'm scheduling a haul out and some yard time. Going to scuff up the bottom paint and put another layer on.

- How long has the boat sat between not having a problem and now having that problem?
                  Last time I took it out was about 1.5 months ago. Weather went from Seattle rain to hot and sunny. I'm guessing growth exploded in the warmer water.

Pictured is both port and starboard.

Seems like it. But since there's a relationship between RPM and knots it could actually be limited by the rate of movement rather than engine speed. Kind of a what happens first.. chicken or the egg situation. My reading is about 7.3 knots before the black smoke.

Both alternators were removed and tested good.. Reinstalled. Water pump impellers were inspected. None of these would make any difference.

- Was there any projects/work done to the engine room that could have affected anything?
                  Nothing.
                  Current boats: 1989 Bayliner Avanti 4285 & 1986 Catalina 30 Sailboat
                  Past boats:
                  1979 Catalina 30
                  1997 Bayliner 2855
                  1996 Bayliner 2855
                  1990 Bayliner Avanti 2955

Comment

I'm scheduling a haul out and some yard time. Going to scuff up the bottom paint and put another layer on.
                    If the rotating parts (shaft props) are covered that has a much larger affect than the actual hull.

Last time I took it out was about 1.5 months ago. Weather went from Seattle rain to hot and sunny. I'm guessing growth exploded in the warmer water.
                    I do not know Seattle at all, but 1.5 months here (NE) would be plenty of time to get fouled if you are moored in clean moving water.

Pictured is both port and starboard.
                    Sometimes one engine pulls the other down.

Seems like it. But since there's a relationship between RPM and knots it could actually be limited by the rate of movement rather than engine speed. Kind of a what happens first.. chicken or the egg situation. My reading is about 7.3 knots before the black smoke.
                    Often if one engine has a problem it will pull the other down and give similar symtoms - but the rpm will typically be 'off' by at least 100 or so.

Both alternators were removed and tested good.. Reinstalled. Water pump impellers were inspected. None of these would make any difference.
                    Any lack of air load to the engine during throttle up will cause black smoke as well - please carefully look at the flex hoses leadng to the intake manifild for 'slices' or failed clamps. These can at times be very hard to see when the engine is idle - look carefully along the clamps and test the clamps for secure operation.

My best guess is you have fouled running gear and/or fouled hull - it takes much less than most would think.
                    Northport NY

Comment

Working...
                    X