Looking to buy a project boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to buy a project boat

I'm looking to buy a ciera project boat, 1993 or newer, if anyone knows of one for sale.

Where are you? Btw, all boats are projects. It’s just a matter of what’s all on the list.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

My list is as long or longer than it was the day I purchased it.
      Keeps growing🤣
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
        Btw, all boats are projects. It’s just a matter of what’s all on the list.
        Originally posted by Dave
        My list is as long or longer than it was the day I purchased it.
        Keeps growing🤣

Very true!

89 2655, just in case you did not know this, the word BOAT is actually an acronym.
        Depending on which part of the country you are in.... it means "bring out another thousand" or "bust out another thousand".

Keep in mind that project boats typically sell for next to nothing.... and are sometimes free. Free boats are never free!

Also, boats are rarely investments, and are always expenses......... we just use it up in the form of family enjoyment.

Good luck in finding one!
        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

project boat?.... all the previous replies are absolutely correct, but no one here knows your budget or reason for specifically wanting a project boat.....

what brand or model are you looking for, or does it matter?..
          how much of a project do you want, as in, do you want the boat to be barely usable in the condition you purchase it in, or a full on project from the trailer up?.... engine/outdrive in good condition or does it matter?....

it can be much cheaper and get you on the water faster by buying a boat that can be used without dumping a pile of money in it to get it on the water... all the rest can be fixed as you go along... you can have fun as you get out on the water with it, then when you get it back home you can have more fun working on it...

we have ALL bought an old boat (or 2) and fixed it up, so we know it can be done, BUT, we have also learned that it is an expensive learning experience and we still end up with an older boat that we paid too much for....
          a turn key boat that you can customize to your liking is generally the cheapest way, because even a $350 boat payment every month for a couple years can be more affordable than a project boat is likely to cost....depending on the level of quality you want..

NU LIBERTE'
          Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
          5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
          N2K equipped throughout..
          2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
          2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
          '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
          Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

https://www.boatangel.com/donated.bo...ction.ebay.htm

There's always these guys. But seeing how much attention even a good condition boat can demand, I don't think I'd go for a "project boat" unless I had no money and tons of time on my hands.

Either way, I salute you
            "Binti B"
            1996 2855 Ciera Sunbridge
            Richmond, BC

Comment

I agree with everyone, you have to be rich to keep and maintain a boat in ship-shape. I'd like to find a ciera that's been sitting for years and needs to be gone through to get running again. I found a 1995 27 foot ciera that had a wiring problem for $2000 but missed the sale. So ideally something like that, that needs alot of tinkering and isn't too old. I'm in the northeast (NY).

Comment

My boat was bought as " the engine is out, it has been rebuilt, all you need to do is put it in. Interior cushions are shot, those need to be redone"
                A few you-tube videos further I got suspicious of the transom, yes it was rotten, so out came the credit card for Coosaboard, epoxy and fiberglass. Sealant for leaking windows, $600 for dry-fast foam (could have used the old stuff but it looked nasty, and $400 for fabric from Sailrite used their videos to make new cushions. Then the gimbal housing had to be replaced, another $240. Found a $800 brand new fridge for $400 (luxery item), $60 for a new rope rubrail. Bunch of seals and engine and outdrive parts, a new used Y-tube, battery (need one more, maybe LiPo4), $50 for 4 couple of years old speakers and $??? for an android radio to replace the 89 am /fm stereo cassette. Some led lights including nav light and anchor light, they all fell apart or were corroded.
                And tools. Deep sockets, crimp tool, glass suction cups, battery charger, rotary dremel, heat gun, electric stapler.
                By the time I am done I have about $4000 invested in parts, materials and tools. Which keeps the total project under $10.000.
                Would I have bought it knowing it became a year-long project for so much extra money? No. Is it worth it? I think so. Other same boats sell for more, and I know the condition of the boat now and hope to have a many years of fun with it and the family, without worrying about it falling apart on us.
                But.. without this forum and you-tube it would have been a much more difficult process.

Comment

I'm looking for a project boat simply because I can't afford a new one. Would I like to march into the dealership and drive out in a new 2020 30 footer? Hell yes. Is it a gamble to buy a project boat? Hell yes. Is buying a project boat something that will cost you more in the long run? Hell yes. But I can much easier afford to pay $100 here and $200 there to put a boat together, than to plop down $150,000 on a new boat. In addition, I just don't think buying a new boat is a smart financial decision since they take a beating during use and also depreciate in value so rapidly.

Comment

Same for me. Can't afford a new boat. Don't need more payments. My wife saw the boat, wanted it we scraped some money together and with a bit of overtime work we covered the parts. Not everyone has deep pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by 89 2655 View Post
                      I'm looking to buy a ciera project boat, 1993 or newer, if anyone knows of one for sale.
                      Hey, I have just entered such project. I've got 1995 Bayliner 2355 with 5.0 LX MerCruiser. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bayliner-Cr...rdt=true&rt=nc

My first boat project, see how it all turns out. Wish me luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Metrodriver View Post
                        Same for me. Can't afford a new boat. Don't need more payments.
                        Smart thinking!

I'm one who believes that we should never finance toys.
                        A home, perhaps a vehicle.... but not toys!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Originally posted by 89 2655 View Post
                          I'm looking for a project boat simply because I can't afford a new one. Would I like to march into the dealership and drive out in a new 2020 30 footer? Hell yes. Is it a gamble to buy a project boat? Hell yes. Is buying a project boat something that will cost you more in the long run? Hell yes. But I can much easier afford to pay $100 here and $200 there to put a boat together, than to plop down $150,000 on a new boat. In addition, I just don't think buying a new boat is a smart financial decision since they take a beating during use and also depreciate in value so rapidly.
                          It can be a good experience if someone is skilled in a number of areas and is able to estimate and manage the time and money required for the project. Many (most) folks do not have the interests or time to really put together a reasonable estimate of the tasks needed and the time required to complete these projects to the point that they get to enjoy the boat. Besides the skills needed in mechanical, wiring, soft goods, joinery and fiberglass there is always the acquisition of parts and knowledge both old and new that can become a drain.
                          Good luck with whatever you do...
                          Northport NY

Comment

• 2850Bounty
                            2850Bounty commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Well said, Smitty!
                        Working...
                        X