New Forum Section - Marine Service Provider Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Forum Section - Marine Service Provider Reviews

We are happy to announce based on member input a new forum section titled “Marine Service Provider Reviews”
    In this section there are sub sections based on the service type.

Please post your first person candid reviews there. These can be both positive and negative of course based on your perception of the service provided.

Please post the business name in the subject line. If someone has already posted a thread about a company, please add your comments to that thread so that we do not end up with several threads on the same company.

Thanks for the input and post away!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Awesome!
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
      We are happy to announce based on member input a new forum section titled “Marine Service Provider Reviews”
      In this section there are sub sections based on the service type.

Please post your first person candid reviews there. These can be both positive and negative of course based on your perception of the service provided.

Please post the business name in the subject line. If someone has already posted a thread about a company, please add your comments to that thread so that we do not end up with several threads on the same company.

Thanks for the input and post away!
      Here’s the link😉
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...ovider-reviews
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Kevin. You might add a sub-forum title for Misc Service Providers as a general collector for the non biggies like Boat cleaners, detailers, electricians, and other support items. I just had my boat detailed and my detailer did a really great job and I have been using him, Tony Harris at Seattle Boat Detailing, for the past 4 years and I am not sure where I would post his business. Also got a new dingy and got great support from Steve Guyer and not sure where I would post him at. Thanks.
        Guntar
        1999 3988
        Cummins 270s

Comment

Originally posted by guntar View Post
          Kevin. You might add a sub-forum title for Misc Service Providers as a general collector for the non biggies like Boat cleaners, detailers, electricians, and other support items. I just had my boat detailed and my detailer did a really great job and I have been using him, Tony Harris at Seattle Boat Detailing, for the past 4 years and I am not sure where I would post his business. Also got a new dingy and got great support from Steve Guyer and not sure where I would post him at. Thanks.
          THANKS! We’l think about another sub forum down the line!

Could you post your reviews of the foks you mentioned in boat yards and mechanics?

KEVIN SANDERS

where are we right now?

Comment

Great idea and I'm all for it.
            However, a word of caution if I may:

If we have a complaint regarding a certain marine repair facility, and if we wish to make it known to our members who may be in that area, let's make dang sure that we are clear and fair.

All too often the boat owner and the repair facility did not communicate as clearly as they could have. Or the boat owner is not familiar with the terminology used.

Example:
            Customer Joe takes his boat in for a repair.
            The shop gave Joe an estimate, not a quote!
            Joe says "go ahead".
            The shop discovered more issues than expected.
            Joe received a phone call, and then authorized the work.
            Joe later became disgruntled at the cost.

If an additional charge is a result of miscommunication, let's be fair!
            Did we ask the right questions prior to the agreement?
            Did we ask for diagnostics up front?
            Did we ask for a quote or an estimate?
            Did we authorize the work with a "do what ever it takes to fix the problem"?

Granted, some of these shops see a customer as their next mortgage payment.
            We need to be vigilant at making sure that both parties were clear from the get-go.

It would be a shame to give a bad review when it was actually an owner's misunderstanding that lead to the dispute.
            Conversely, it would be a service to our members if the compliant was legitimate.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post
              Great idea and I'm all for it.
              However, a word of caution if I may:

If we have a complaint regarding a certain marine repair facility, and if we wish to make it known to our members who may be in that area, let's make dang sure that we are clear and fair.

All too often the boat owner and the repair facility did not communicate as clearly as they could have. Or the boat owner is not familiar with the terminology used.

Example:
              Customer Joe takes his boat in for a repair.
              The shop gave Joe an estimate, not a quote!
              Joe says "go ahead".
              The shop discovered more issues than expected.
              Joe received a phone call, and then authorized the work.
              Joe later became disgruntled at the cost.

If an additional charge is a result of miscommunication, let's be fair!
              Did we ask the right questions prior to the agreement?
              Did we ask for diagnostics up front?
              Did we ask for a quote or an estimate?
              Did we authorize the work with a "do what ever it takes to fix the problem"?

Granted, some of these shops see a customer as their next mortgage payment.
              We need to be vigilant at making sure that both parties were clear from the get-go.

It would be a shame to give a bad review when it was actually an owner's misunderstanding that lead to the dispute.
              Conversely, it would be a service to our members if the compliant was legitimate.

I agree that a fair review is important.

That said, the BOC staff are not going to filter reviews, or be the truth police. That is not our role.
              We are a forum where the members get to post the content, we provide the platform.

That is why it’s important to have multiple reviews of any marine business. You might have had a great experience while I might not have had the same outcome, and Vice versa.

It’s also important for other members to question and comment on the reviews. Please ask questions to clairify especially a negative review, as you are correct, sometimes a negative experience especially with a service provider is based on a unreasonable expectation of the customer, and not a reflection of the service provider.

KEVIN SANDERS

where are we right now?

Comment

Working...
              X