Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

98 2355 Ciera- Thoughts on adding Tow hook to swim Grid

Hey guys,

My apologies if this has been asked before, I looked around and couldn’t find this specific question.

New boat owner. I recently bought a 98 2355 ciera and I was looking for a convenient place to tow from and noticed there are two bolts on the swim grid.

I’m not sure what the previous owner used them for but I was thinking of repurposing them for a tubing tow hook/loop. I was just gunna add a stainless steel back plate and call it a day. Or not use them but still install a pre-made tow hook in that location

My main worries are about the thickness of the fibreglass and the strain on the swim grid. Please let me know your thoughts!

Appreciate any help

Looking at the inside pic I wouldn’t use those holes without a pretty wide backing plate on them. I don’t think the glass is real thick right there. You’d probably be better off using the trailer tie down cleats.
    1990 2755 - sold
    2005 275 - sold (now boatless)

Comment

That's too low for towing. You should have a tow hook located on the back of your boat somewhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	51-lK6fbksL._SL1024_.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	589887

That is what you use for towing!
      Ships n Giggles
      1993 Bayliner 4388
      MMSI# 367412710
      Day Island Yacht Club
      Commodore

Comment

If you don't have one... then you should install one of these.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/white...yABEgKrNfD_BwE
        Ships n Giggles
        1993 Bayliner 4388
        MMSI# 367412710
        Day Island Yacht Club
        Commodore

Comment

When we owned our 2355, we had one installed just above the swim platform. It was easy access to back it with wooden blocking.
          Simo
          2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
          Downsized to a couple of kayaks for now.

Comment

• Boater_Eric
            Boater_Eric commented
            Editing a comment
            Above the swim grid on the back of the boat? Like opposite side to where the hidaway bench is?

Originally posted by Shipsngiggles View Post
          If you don't have one... then you should install one of these.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/white...yABEgKrNfD_BwE
          I like the idea of putting this in the back piece above the swim grid.

Comment

NO NO NO!!!....glad you posted this before doing it. Tubing creates more pull than anything else. I know its counterintuitive as the tube sits on top of water, but when it digs in it creates tons of force.

I have a reverse arch wakeboard tower and it's clear, NO TUBING from that and I yank fat folks up on skis and boards with it.

As previously posted, you want a tow hook mounted direct to transom with backing plate. That ski platform is designed to hold weight UP, not pulling force.

other option is to get a tow sling with float ball and use the transom tie hooks I see in the pic. It's a bit of a pain and not ideal, but will take care of business. Those eyes are above water level once on plane....but, dont pull from anything mounted to the platform and I'm wondering why those bolts are even there....seal those bolts and forget they're there.
            2008 H210SS Four Winns
            Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
            Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
            Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

• Shipsngiggles
              Shipsngiggles commented
              Editing a comment
              So couple of things. The reason why they say no tubing from the arch is not the force but the fact that the tube tends to take air at high speeds. It is a rider safety issue not a physics issue. Lifting a rider off of wakeboard creates 4x force of their weight until they are on the plane. So a 300lbs guy will exert 1200lbs of force on the back of the transom until they are up on the plane, then the force is greatly reduced. The tube, due to the surface area and buoyancy will exert only about 1.5 the weight in force.

That being said, the tubes will submarine if they are mounted too low, so a higher point is desirable. The location he indicated is right on the transom, although I would opt out for a sling in the back of the boat for dual tube pulling and smoother ride on the tube while towing at higher speeds.

Again, the reasoning the wakeboard tower says NO TUBING is because the tubes will catch air and FLY. It is NOT because the tubes exert too much force.
          Working...
          X