Gas Caddy Etiquette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Caddy Etiquette?

With the price of gas remaining lower than last season, the cash price of ethanol-free at the local Farm Supply is attractive. Our 2855 is in a slip in our marina, and I'm wondering if I would get any stink-eye looks if I wheeled a 15 or 20 gal. gas caddy down the gangway of our Yacht Club to top off. No written rules against it, but don't want to rock any boats!
    Jeff Prime
    "Optimystic Prime"
    2000 Bayliner 2855 Ciera Sunbridge
    Anacortes, WA

We tried that once. After all the messing around it was decided that we would go to the fuel dock.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

• freedre
      freedre commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too. Not worth the time and effort.

I did it for a while. If you have a good amount of gravity, it doesn't take too long. It is a lot of weight to put on the truck, take off the truck, get on the boat, etc.
    Then Costco wouldn't allow me to fill it (i bought the damn thing there) so I made them take it back
    Tally and Vicki
    "Wickus" Meridian 341
    MMSI 338014939

Comment

• builderdude
      builderdude commented
      Editing a comment
      Tally, you got some good stories! I’d make them take it back also
      😆

• talman
      talman commented
      Editing a comment
      More, Dave. Getting the caddie into the truck was ok, but it really had to get up to the flybridge on the 2556 to empty in a reasonable amount of time without using the hand pump all the time. So I built a sled rail out of PVC that i could slide it up the side of the boat into the cockpit, then slide it up the flybridge stairs. It was still hard. In the end, I guess I was really pretty glad Costco made it possible to get rid of it. I used it, and 3- 5 gallon cans. Pain in the arse, for sure.

We own boats, therefore we have no financial sense. Go to the fuel dock.
    Jeff & Tara
    (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
    "GetAway"
    Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

We do not know of anywhere that allows fueling of boats at a public or private dock without all safety gear and insurance in place. If someone were to attempt it under those conditions here they would likely quickly be reminded of that fact prior to fines and/or ticketing.
      Northport NY

Comment

Its best to check with your yacht club. By me all the Marinas have signs that say no fueling in the slips. But I know lots of folks that do it and have seen them do it. I my country club I see Board Members do it.
        I go to the fuel station on the water. Its the only place I have found the sells Ethanol-free fuel.
        2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
        Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP MPI Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
        Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
        Evinrude 88 Special

Restoring 1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
        1992 Johnson 40HP

40°55'22.9"N 74°39'11.9"W

Comment

Originally posted by optimist_prime View Post
          With the price of gas remaining lower than last season, the cash price of ethanol-free at the local Farm Supply is attractive. Our 2855 is in a slip in our marina, and I'm wondering if I would get any stink-eye looks if I wheeled a 15 or 20 gal. gas caddy down the gangway of our Yacht Club to top off. No written rules against it, but don't want to rock any boats!
          Would check with the marina...but 99% of the time I fill up my 2855 with 6 - 5 gallon gas cans. The marina I stayed at has NO fuel dock. And I don't want to pay a $1 more for gas at another marina. So I always truck it from the local gas station. I save about $1000 per season.

Comment

Don't know about where you are, but here in Florida, the gas stations have signs on the pump limiting gas in "approved" containers to 6 gallons. On gave me a hard time about my 6.5 gallon outboard motor gas tank, even though I stopped at 4.9 gallons. They say its a state fire code ordinance.

Being that many of my local area gas stations just plain don't have room for my boat and trailer combo, I have 5 5 gallon cans and 6 (ahem) and 3 gallon outboard tanks. Lately, I cruise the St. Johns river and 20 gallons is enough. so, a 25 gallon fill: @ $3,80 at marina and @ 1.90 at the corner gas station... I save $90 - 47.5= 42.50 per cruise which pays for a nice marina restaurant.... Other alternative is to get up at 5.30 AM and bring the boat on the trailer into Costco where nobody else is there then I can maneuver the rig thru. (They open at 6AM normally)
            Captharv 2001 2452
            "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

I fuel my 246 with 5 gallon jugs (your 6 gallon jugs...) With a large funnel and the spout removed from the jug I can dump one of these into the tank in about a minute. But most marinas won't allow this practice. As for a 20 gallon fuel caddy, I think it's just too heavy when you consider it has to be lowered from a truck bed.
              2007 Discovery 246
              300mpi BIII
              Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Originally posted by talman View Post
                I did it for a while. If you have a good amount of gravity, it doesn't take too long. It is a lot of weight to put on the truck, take off the truck, get on the boat, etc.
                Then Costco wouldn't allow me to fill it (i bought the damn thing there) so I made them take it back
                Good job! If I bought something they would refuse to let me fill I’d do the same thing while telling them where they could stuff it.

Comment

One more perk of diesel... fuel docks pump dyed fuel and is cheaper than the local road fueling station. I paid $1.84 on Saturday.

At least in Washington you can file for refund of states gas tax for what you put in the boat if you are burning lots of gas. It was never worth my time.
                  1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                  1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                  Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

During the winter, I rigged up a holley electric pump and an inline filter with some fuel hose and a cigarette lighter plug to pump all of the old fuel out of my boat. I burned it in the 96 Found On Road Dead Exploder. It runs on anything.
                    Anyhoo, I kept the assembly because I figure I could use it to transfer fuel from 5 gallon cans into the fuel tank, or to draw a few gallons out of the main tank to fill the kicker or Honda Generator.
                    But, I have been thinking about replacing the (brand new, expensive, discontinued by the OEM manufacturer) mechanical fuel pump (when it dies again) on my seawater pump with an electrical pump. This is well documented in forums elsewhere, but I am thinking about adding a couple of valves and tees that would allow me to-
                    Pump the old fuel out of the main tank when desired
                    Pump fuel from the main tank to the main engine carb(default operation, duh)
                    Pump fuel into my 2 stroke kicker can or generator
                    Pump fuel into my lawn mower when the boat is on the trailer
                    and best of all,
                    move a couple of valves and pump fuel from 5 gallon cans or a fuel caddy into the main tank. All of the hoses would be in place. I would only need to add an override switch to the pump and move a few valve handles.
                    Lance O. Albany, OR
                    1996 Ciera 2855 7.4 4bbl Bravo 3
                    1978 21' Hawaiian 557 BBF Berkeley Jet (dingy)

Comment

Working...
                    X