Best gun for marine environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best gun for marine environment

Need to have a gun aboard the boat. Is there a gun that withstands marine environments? Maybe a storage box that works well. Thanks.

FYI- this isn't a gun debate, its not possible for me to care less about your thoughts on gun usage or control!
    "The Profit"
    Sunny Florida
    2019 Tahoe T16 75 hp 300 hours in first year of ownership!
    2018 E16 75 hp......Sold

Depends. Self defense or seagulls? I like the Smith & Wesson 916a 12 gauge in stainless.
    Irony
    1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
    Portsmouth, NH

Comment

I don’t know [email protected]&t about guns, but looking at it from a metallurgic and precision device standpoint, I would think you’d be looking for something in stainless steel. Vacuum sealing it wrapped in oilcloth would provide good storage. Or wrapped in a gasket sealed box. A friend of mine had a stainless steel shotgun that was part of ship’s company, but I believe you are thinking handgun. Have you contacted anyone at the police marine patrol or USCG?
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

For shotguns I’d go with a pump before a semi unless you will regularly clean it. I carry a semi handgun regularly so that would be with me on a boat anyhow but for one left stored around on a boat, I’d go with a revolver. Less prone to rust related issues, imo. Also newer revolvers like the Ruger LCR have a lot less metal in them to begin with. Higher stainless composition would also help.
        1990 2755 - sold
        2005 275 - sold (now boatless)

Comment

Mossberg 590 Mariner
          Pelican 1790
          Silica gel packs
          Shawn Hammer and Geri Schaffer
          G-dock, Shilshole, Seattle
          2005 Meridian 490
          2016 Walker Bay
          M/V 2nd Circus

Comment

I carry a firearm 100% of the time when on shore as Alaskan bear defense.

This has evolved over a period of two decades. My current preferred firearm for this task is a Mossberg Mariner 12 gauge pump action shotgun, loaded with Black Magic slugs.

I have taken apart the The Mossberg Mariner and every part inside is coated with their proprietary anti corrosion stuff. Even the springs are coated.

I go to shore at least 4 times a day, good weather and bad. I do not need a tool that I am always having to clean, I need a tool that works every time. Just day before yesterday I fired two shots in the vicinity of a Black Bear to convince it that it should not bother my dogs or I.

As I have indicated this choice is based on decades of carrying firearms on shore for bear protection, in salty, wet climates. Other choices I have tried and rejected are...

1. Marlin Stainless 45/70. Don’t even try this one. The rifle is only stainless on the outside. Everything inside is just steel, and yes it corrodes quickly rendering it unreliable.
            2. AR-10 .308 caliber. This held up pretty well since it is military parkerized throughout. I just felt like it was too expensive of a rifle to be taken on the skiff all the time.
            3. Various pistols, .45 ACP, .45 Winchester Magnum. These worked well but I was concerned that with them in a holster they might be a issue if I found myself in the drink, also even though the .45 Winchester Magnum is pretty powerful it is stil light for Alaskan Bears.

When we travel out of our home state we will only have the mossberg on board. I have carried shotguns into Canada several times and border crossing is easy. Always respect the lars of any state or country you visit, and always remember that you are a visitor.

As a note for those reading this. The OP asked a simple question. If you post anything regarding the politics excepting issues regarding travel into differing legal jurisdictions affecting your choice, your post will be immediately removed.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
            www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

I carry my CZ 75B on the boat all the time. Thought the day it lives in its closed case. At night it resides in its open case right by my bedside. No environmental Issues noted thus far.
              Jim Gandee
              1989 3888
              Hino 175's
              Fire Escape
              [email protected]
              Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Stainless steel.
                A semi automatic shotgun aboard a boat is unnecessary and dangerous... a mistake blows such a big hole thru the hull that it can quickly sink you..
                A small but powerful handgun is good for personal protection, but when you need to really defend, a shotgun is the best choice......
                ​I keep mine loaded with alternating 00buckshot and slugs...

NU LIBERTE'
                Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                N2K equipped throughout..
                2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

You could go for a Hi-Point handgun. They are milled out of a Zinc Alloy so they are heavy which is good kickback and a emergency anchor, corrosion resistant and could also be used as a anode, also very cheap, its a multi-purpose boat tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Traxxas View Post
                    You could go for a Hi-Point handgun. They are milled out of a Zinc Alloy so they are heavy which is good kickback and a emergency anchor, corrosion resistant and could also be used as a anode, also very cheap, its a multi-purpose boat tool.
                    And they go bang every time. I have a C 9 for my boat gun over 1000 rounds no problems yet.
                    1995 Ciera .Express 2452 5.7 Bravo II. SOLD Boat on upper Mississippi river 1998 Searay Sundancer 270 7.4 Bravo III

Comment

Stainless double action 4" .357 (or .44) magnum. They can use bullets or birdshot, simple to operate, easy to maintain, and relatively concealable. I like S & W, Ruger, Colt and Taurus, find one you like, then learn the gun and practice. Take a safety course if you haven't done so already.
                      Jeff & Tara
                      (And Ginger too)
                      Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                      "GetAway"
                      Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I carry a polymer Taurus Public Defender on board .45 and 410 ga. I use the 410 for blasting large halibut in the head and .45 as bear defense. Its poly so it doesn't rust.
                        "REEL WILD"
                        2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
                        Anchorage, Alaska
                        If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

Comment

I take whatever I normally carry. Currently it's a SIG 365. My wife prefers revolvers and has a Ruger LCR. If I'm wearing shorts I carry a Taurus LCP in a pocket holster.
                          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Norton, I just recently picked up a Sig 365. I like it ! Great little conceal carry weapon!
                            Jim Gandee
                            1989 3888
                            Hino 175's
                            Fire Escape
                            [email protected]
                            Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Thanks for all the information! Interested in handgun for self protection. Is a revolver going to be more reliable than a semi in the worst environment? (Gulf of Mexico) The tools I take on the water rust and fail in no time.
                              I have no interest in shooting seagulls, unless they mistake me for french fries or funnel cake..
                              "The Profit"
                              Sunny Florida
                              2019 Tahoe T16 75 hp 300 hours in first year of ownership!
                              2018 E16 75 hp......Sold

Comment

• Kwood
                                Kwood commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Depending on your familiarity with handguns I would suggest a stainless revolver 357mag w/ 4 inch barrel. The 357mag can be loaded with 38 special ammo and is very controllable for a novice. The 4" barrel balances nicely and is long enough to give you a good sight picture - you will be more accurate than with a snubby - even though the guns have virtual identical accuracy.
                            Working...
                            X