Safety Safety Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety Safety Safety

Getting ready to launch for my first 'official' new boat owner season. Perhaps I am going overboard..., no, that doesn't sound good.. perhaps I am doing a bit of a stretch here, but just trying to be safe and start off with good equipment and plans in place. VHF fixed mounted w/ internal gps, connected to 8' antenna. MMSI # obtained. Cat 2 EPIRB obtained and registered with NOAA (mount near helm, or keep in ditch bag??). Boat US membership obtained. Life jackets obtained and worn while underway. Throw cushion on board (going to upgrade to throw ring w tether). Putting together ditch bag w handheld vhf, flares, floating mirror, drinking water, snacks in ziplock bag, rope, knife, 1st aid kit, whistle, flashlight. Having the wife and son take the Boat-ed online course, and will teach them to drive the boat as well.
    What else?

Fire extinguishers are high on my list. I have one mounted near the lower helm and one mounted at the cabin door.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

A very basic kit of tools to get you through a minor repair. Good on ya for teaching your family how to skipper your boat. My oldest could maneuver our previous twin outdrive boat when he was 12. His siblings were a little older because I had to allocate wheel time.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

In the above mentioned tool box keep a mallet and several sizes of tapered dowels for emergency leak stops. They’re readily available at marine supply stores.
        Drew Haas
        1998 4788 "Painkiller"

Comment

After things return to normal, consider having your wife and son attend an in-person boating safety class. The USPS as well as the USCG Auxillary both offer them.

I also recommend that you or the whole family take some of the USPS courses such as seamanship, piloting, etc
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Anchor and rode?....
            sound producing device?..

What size boat?... depending on the size of boat, I've used both the throwable rings and the cushions.. on a pleasure boat of less than about 28-30 ft, i prefer the cushions, as they are dual purpose... the rings need mounted and space is always at a premium on any boat..

If its a larger boat, you may need oil/garbage placards also...

NU LIBERTE'
            Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
            5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
            N2K equipped throughout..
            2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
            2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
            '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
            Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

builderdude Thanks! I forgot to mention I have 2, one mounted near the helm, one in the cabin, new as of end of last season.

Pcpete Yes! I definitely need a tool kit. Thank you

drewhaas Great idea! I will definitely look into that.

Norton_Rider Good suggestion. When I looked into a course, unfortunately it was few hours away from where I am. Have to look for something closer. Do you have any links to those sites for details? Thank you,

Centerline2 Yes! Good catch. I do have anchor and rode, just need to get out there and play with it and figure it out a bit. Thanks

Comment

Dave, here's the USPS website:

https://www.americasboatingclub.org/

I believe that you can search for classes near you.
                1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                Anacortes, WA

Comment

An insurance policy that would also cover environmental clean-up costs involving site pollution in the even of a fuel or oil spill.
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

When you say "snacks in ziplock bag", what are you taking exactly? A package of Datrex bars will last 5 years in storage, and they aren't expensive either. Although the fiber content may make for some interesting bathroom visits. Best sample them first
                    "Binti B"
                    1996 2855 Ciera Sunbridge
                    Richmond, BC

Comment

If you’re planning any ocean travel,or even a large lake, I’d suggest a Dan bouy I never depart the slip without it!

http://www.danbuoy.com/sos-dan-buoy/
                      Jim Gandee
                      1989 3888
                      Hino 175's
                      Fire Escape
                      [email protected]
                      Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Drogue anchor. Cheap, light, does not take much space, but will buy you time if You have a technical issue. Boats drifts surprisingly fast without in some wind, and especially in a location where You are close to shore but water is deep, very useful. Also much better to have the bow in the wind than rolling sideways when engine is inoperative.
                        Bayliner 2556 1990 project

Comment

Norton_Rider Thank you, that's very helpful. Looks like I will be spending some time on that site!

2850Bounty I will look into my policy on that, good one!

Squidward Just a few granola bars and some bottles of water, I'm thinking everyone will be scared S#*tless anyway!!

Jim_Gandee That's a great idea. I like it.

C-NUMB Thanks, I'll check that out

Comment

If your boat has a cabin, get a CO detector. Too many boating deaths from CO, and they are easily prevented.
                            1993 Bayliner 3058 Cierra
                            Twin 4.3L V6's
                            Alpha 1 Gen II Drives
                            Moored in Everett, WA

Comment

• Dave Boroughes
                              Dave Boroughes commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Diamond_Boat Yes! That's one of the 1st things I did last season when I purchased the boat, ripped out the original CO detector and installed a battery operated unit

Your list looks good. A few other things that I would add and have onboard: mask and snorkel (you may have to remove something from the prop or other underwater issues); knife (leatherman for the ditch bag and a floating one for other work); mini fuses (should be some spares in the two fuse boxes under the galley step but always take extras - FYI - some 246's and 266's have the left and right fuse boxes reversed); zipties; ducktape, tube of caulking; container of power steering and trim oil; container of extra motor oil; smoke detector; boat hook or gaft; booster cables or another source of power (I carry one of those power packs that can start an engine); spare stopper for the gas, water, and waste openings - the tether inside will break and you will loose one overboard; spare spring pins that keeps the canopy frame connected; manual water bailer/pump; spare engine and cabin key (I usually hide the key in the engine compartment); I have a dinghy but when I don't carry I have a cheap 2 person inflatable boat - I figure it's a much better option than getting into cold frigid Atlantic :-). Those are the ones that come to mind but I'm sure there are others. Safe voyages!

Comment

Working...
                            X