Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I just found out how expensive hino alternators are.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I just found out how expensive hino alternators are.

They're asking over $1000.. each. And I probably need two. Holy crap.

I called a couple rebuild shops and they're worried parts are too scarce.

What are you guys doing for replacements/rebuilds?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200521-165214_Gallery.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	586.7 KB
ID:	583954
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200521-165200_Gallery.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	878.4 KB
ID:	583955

​​​​

Local shop rebuilt mine, Brownings Alternators and Starters...$150 a piece rebuilt. I bring all my starters and alternators there since I've been driving and fixing my own cars and boats engines. These things are a dime a dozen over seas. These diesels are common in Asia and Australia like the old Cummins 12 valves are in the USA. New, I found them for $350 or so plus international shipping.

https://alpha-truck-parts.myshopify....ino-alternator
    . . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

Comment

Take them to a real alternator and starter shop. I replaced one of mine with a Delco that nearly bolted on without any modifications to the brackets. These are just truck alternators and I was able to find bearings and the regulator for them. If you can’t find a shop near you, G & H Auto Electric in Everett, WA that can do it.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
        Take them to a real alternator and starter shop. I replaced one of mine with a Delco that nearly bolted on without any modifications to the brackets. These are just truck alternators and I was able to find bearings and the regulator for them.
        Yeah. Regulator = $30 https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-NEW-ALT...-/291167859927

Specifically, find a shop that deals with heavy diesel trucks and machinery and equipment. If you're calling places that rebuild domestic car alt/starters, you might spook them 😂
        . . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

Comment

Have you had yours bench tested?
          Not sure this is an exact replacement for you but you may want to give them a call. Alternators are not necessarily engine specific.
          https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...2005-2010.html
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I'm feeling a little better about the situation. I'll keep calling tomorrow. Hopefully someone knows how to get this done

I also thought alternators aren't engine specific. Most batteries are 12v standard. One would think it doesn't mater what alternator you use? As long as it can keep up with the juice demand. If I don't catch a break I'll be tempted to tack on a new bracket to fit something off a Ford truck (or something of the sort).

Comment

There are actually only a few different frames used and many engines are setup to accept them in a fixed mount arrangement (belt tension set with an idler) as well as what you have that you pull tight against the belts and cinch down the bolts. You just have to look at the sides of the block / head for the mounting pads.

You are exactly right for 99% of us with lead acid batteries this isn't rocket science If you get an internally regulated/self excited one and have the right pulley size on it - all it needs to do is have one wire go back to the battery.
              1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
              1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
              Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

I see you are in Seattle. G&H is part of these guys.http://romaineelectric.com/ The guys in Everett will walk you through the options and mods you may want to do.
                P/C Pete
                Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                MMSI 367770440

Comment

As said above, find a REAL automotive electric shop. I used one locally for starters and alternators, however, I have brought then other 12V motors that they rebuild. The macerator inmy boat was dying after 29 years. A new one was nearly $200. They rebuilt the one for the boat for $20.
                  I went to a technical High school. Electric motors was one mandatory shop in the exploratory shop program. Being 73 yrs old, I take mine to someone else.
                  What usually goes bad in small electric motors? Brushes are made from powdered carbon granules compresses into a solid rod. It rides in a channel with a spring behind it and touches the armature (or rotor, if I may).During operation, some of the brushes become dust and coat the insides, in particular, the brush channel. This impeads the brush movement, and it sticks. Brushed are usually in2 pairs, 90 degrees apart. IF one sticks, that pair is not conduction current. Since power has a square in it, the motor is now running at 25% power, and something urns. If caught in time, the brush can be replaces, and the inside cleaned. Then, they have mock-ups to test it before and after servicing it.
                  Besides, if you rebuild rather than replace, you are confident that it will fit back in,,,,
                  Captharv 2001 2452
                  "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

how expensive it is to shop depends on how you vote ... far from everything manufactured in the USA
                    subscribe to my youtube channel

www.youtube.com/c/MyBoatandMylife

Comment

There is a company just across the boarder from you in Richmond, outside of Vancouver, B.C. They rebuild electrical equipment. I've had my windless done by them and alternators over the years. They also sell new ones at reasonable prices finding replacement ones to fit your foot print and requirements. They are called Bridgehouse Electric. I have no affiliation with these folks other than I'm a very satisfied customer that appreciated good businesses.Their email is [email protected]. You US dollar will go a long ways in Canada on top of everything else! Not sure if they ship to the US though?

16' lap straight with B&S inboard, my 1st commercial fishing adventure
                      17' run about with original 80ph Volvo, fun with some exploration of the coast
                      25' Chris Craft - lots of fun exploring further north on the BC coast
                      32' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
                      41' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
                      38' Permaglass commercial salmon troller - freezer boat, harder work & fun
                      1987 3870 with 175 Hinos - back to mostly fun again & exploration

Comment

Working...
                      X