Outboard paint-gctid351557

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outboard paint-gctid351557

My boat is out of the water and the outbords have been power washed. I would like to paint them and want to know what type of antifouling paint should I use. The boat will be in fresh water in Lake Ontario

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/654405=24665-DSC00126 (640x480).jpg[/img]

That original Mercury paint lasted a long time! Why don't you go down to the dealer & get some more of that?
    Ernie
    1986 3270
    Volvo 305s

MMSI 338130047
    Lake Michigan

Comment

If you have these media blasted, your paint job will certainly bond and hold up better.
      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

wrong there ricko....sand the whole drive down....get some chromate primer and spray that on after you fill in any large pits....sanding smooth after the application....

then use mercruiser outdrive black paint........

your drive will look like new ......

:arr arrr

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I will try the Chromate primer and mercruiser outdrive black paint. I just have to wait now for the warmer weather.

Comment

Recently posted before and after pix of my outdrive which I had cleaned up, primed and painted with 2 coats of Interlux TriLux33 to prohibit growth while in the slip for the season. Obviously don't know how well it will work yet but I'm sure it will be better than regular paint and recoats will be a simple process as needed. By the way I'm on Lake Michigan so pretty much the same watwer temps.

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...-your-outdrive

Comment

The media blasting makes quick work out of removing the old loose paint and cleaning up any hard-to-reach corroded areas. You can sand additionally after blasting.

It was just a suggestion......, if you don't mind sanding, then there ya go.

Your finish job will be only as good as your prep work will be.

Note that the Zinc Chromate is to be a thin coating, not an excessive coating.
              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
              Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
              Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
              X