Battery charging Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery charging Question

Hi Group, I've got a battery charging question. Where hooked to shore power should the 1-2-all-off be set? There's a Freedom 10 inverter/battery charger installed with a Xantrex Link 2000 inverter controller and dual battery monitor. The charger/inverter is putting out 12 volts but the batteries are not charging. The Link 2000 is not showing anything on the display. Totally blank. No AC in light. No Battery voltage or amps or anything. When I first connected to shore power it showed an error code then went dead. Thanks, Jim
    Jim
    1975 2865 Carver Santa Cruz
    Twin 215hp 302 Ford Waukesha
    Twin Straight Shaft Drive
    Tow Vehicle 2002 Ford F250 Superduty
    7.3L Powerstroke
    Boise, Id

the way the charger is connected to the system depends entirely on how someone set it up....

the MBSS may have to be on, but its preferable for the shore power charger (and all aux charge sources) to be connected to the batts directly (or from a point where they do get a direct connection to the battery).. if the charger does not see a good battery connected to it, it will shut down until it does sense a battery that needs charging...
    Last edited by Centerline2; 03-29-2020, 12:05 PM.

NU LIBERTE'
    Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
    5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
    N2K equipped throughout..
    2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
    2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
    '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
    Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Sounds like there may be an issue with the charger. You stated you had an error code at the link 2000 and now it shows nothing. I’d verify you have AC voltage actually getting to the charger, sometime the connections behind the AC panel can become questionable (loose/corroded etc.) both at the main panel and the charger.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

• Calvincat
        Calvincat commented
        Editing a comment
        I pulled the cover off where the AC goes in and checked it and it was getting 120volts. it's also has 12 volts coming out to 1-2-All-Off switches. I'll check tomorrow and see if it's getting to the batteries. Jim

If charging you should see around 13.8 DC give or take.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      Misc. projects thread

Comment

Originally posted by Calvincat View Post
        Hi Group, I've got a battery charging question. Where hooked to shore power should the 1-2-all-off be set?
        Jim, while charging (whether by Engine Alternator or by On Board Charger) or while simply using your on board 12 vdc, the MBSS (what you're calling the 1-2-all-off) should NOT be set to ALL/BOTH. The ALL/BOTH selection combines banks, ** and prevents the charging system from sensing each bank individually.
        The ALL/BOTH selection should be reserved for an emergency only.

Regardless of the above, and if all is connected properly, the batteries will receive a charge rate no matter where the MBSS is set.
        (see ** again)

Also, just an FYI.... the HLBB (house load batt bank) receives it's charge through the heavy cables that connect the Inverter portion to that bank.
        The alternate or second battery battery bank receives it's charge through what they call a Eco charge circuit.

Your system will include two shunt resistors that will each interrupt the Negative paths for each bank that is being monitored.

There's a Freedom 10 inverter/battery charger installed with a Xantrex Link 2000 inverter controller and dual battery monitor.
        The charger/inverter is putting out 12 volts but the batteries are not charging.
        As noted by Dave, it should be putting out 13.8 +/- volts.
        12 volts alone will not provide a charge.
        When/if you test for charge voltage, take your reading directly at the battery bank.

The Link 2000 is not showing anything on the display. Totally blank. No AC in light. No Battery voltage or amps or anything.
        If you have the installation instructions, take a look to see if the Link system is connected properly, including the shunt resistor circuits.

When I first connected to shore power it showed an error code then went dead.
        Xantrex is now owned by Schneider Electric in Burnaby, BC.
        Customer service / tech support line 1 800 670 0707 (I assume that is a good number)

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post
          When I checked to see if the charger/inverter was putting out current I just used a 12 volt test light from the output lead to ground. It was quick and dirty. I was about haft beat from wiggling around in the hanging locker. I'll check today with a volt meter. The Xantrex was in the boat when we bought it 5 years ago and I believe it was working properly. I just recently installed a shore power hook up in the shelter where we keep the boat. I'll do some more check on things today. Jim
          Jim
          7.3L Powerstroke
          Boise, Id

Comment

Hmmmm...A new shore power connection? ensure it’s been wired correctly. Neutral and grounded.
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            Misc. projects thread

Comment

It is. The shelter is in our backyard. We have an acre of ground. I went out with a volt meter today and the Freedom 10 is only putting out 1.9 volts at the battery connection. The Link 2000 come back up today briefly after being disconnected from the Freedom 10 overnight. Went blank again after about 5 minutes. Looks like I'm going to have to replace the charger/inverter. The joy of boat ownership. Jim
              Jim
              7.3L Powerstroke
              Boise, Id

Comment

Sounds like a new charger may be in order. You could always try the “smack it with a hammer repair”
                🤪
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                Misc. projects thread

Comment

Those old Freedom inverters are pretty much indestructable. It sounds like the relays that switch from invert to charge aren't switching. Don't hit it with a hammer but give the inverter a good solid smack with the flat of your hand on the side of the case. If it starts charging one or more of the switching relays is sticking. It may not do it again if it had been sitting for an extended period prior to causing trouble. 15 years ago I had the relays changed in a Freedom 25 but I expect the guy who did mine is dead now - he was pretty old when he did mine. They are great old inverters - definitely worth repairing if you can find someone competent to do the repair.
                  R.J.(Bob) Evans
                  Buchanan, SK
                  Cierra 2755
                  Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
                  Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

Calvincat,

You asked what position the MBSS should be set to (1-2-All-OFF). That depends on if the Xantrex has been connected properly. The Xantrex requires 12v yo perform its function. One would expect this 12v source be directly from the battery (preferably the HOUSE battery) +ve terminal. If this connection has been made through the Common post of the MBSS switch then switch must NOT be in the OFF position so it can provide power to the Xantrex. The fact that you are not seeing anything on the Xantrex screen implies it is not getting power.

Switch the MBSS to 1, 2 or ALL but NOT to OFF. See if Xantrex display comes alive. If that is the case, connect the Xantrex to 12v directly at the 12v (Preferred way to do this is to connect to the 1 or 2 post of the MBSS switch, depending upon which post the HOUSE battery is connected to).

Good luck
                    Retired, computer expert / executive
                    Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                    Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                    D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                    [email protected]
                    [email protected]

Comment

The inverter's power supply (from the house load battery bank) should not be passing through the MBSS.
                      It should be via a direct house load battery bank connection, and fused appropriately!
                      This means that the charger portion of the Charger/Inverter is not dependent on the MBSS being set to any certain position during charging.

If we do supply the Inverter via the MBSS's Common terminal, it generally increases the length of the circuit, and it places a rather heavy and continuous Amp load on the MBSS contacts.

Even worse if we have a Perko MBSS, of which generally has light contacts.

My suggestion:
                      Keep both Positive and Negative inverter cables as short as possible, sized correctly, and directly to/from the HLBB.
                      In other words.... no MBSS involvement, and no System Negative Common connections.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

if the batteries are dead, or below about 9v, the charger wont stay on... (sometimes bad/corroded connections at the terminals will prevent the charger from staying on).... the charger will come on, sense a problem and then shut down to prevent self destruction (its a smart charger, but not smart enough to know just what is the cause of the the problem)....

as a work around, you can connect another battery to it briefly with jumpers, along with the charger, and then try it.... if the charger remains on, the batt was too low to be "sensed".... just leave the jumper battery on it for 20mins with the charger going and it will then charge enough to sense the main battery when the jumpers from the second battery are removed....

if, after checking all terminals and connections, and this procedure is tried and it still doesnt work, the charger will need to be replaced....

NU LIBERTE'
                        Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                        5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                        N2K equipped throughout..
                        2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                        2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                        '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                        Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

AN update on my battery charging question. If all else fails read the directions. The way that it is wired is in the attached photo. The inverter will only work when the MBSS switch is in the # 1 position. This is the house bank. I just had to replace the two 6 volts because they wouldn't hold a charge. They were under warranty so they didn't cost me anything. I had to remove the starting batteries for another reason so though the process of elimination I know who goes where on the MSBB switch. According to the Freedom 10's instructions the MSBB switches has to be turned to the bank that is to be charged or to All to charge both banks. The house bank consists of two 6 volts in series and the two starting batteries are to Group 24's in parallel. I still have to determine which starting battery is on number two position but that's fairly easy to determine I just have to install them one at a time and turn the switch. Jim
                          Jim
                          7.3L Powerstroke
                          Boise, Id

Comment

• Centerline2
                            Centerline2 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            after you figure out which is what, you should consider installing an ACR to eliminate the need for any switching of the MBSS, except to disconnect the batteries when you go away from the boat...

Calvincat, it appears my guess was right and all you needed to do was to set the MBSS out of the OFF position. Now that this has been sorted out and you have good batteries you should change the wiring. The batteries should be charged regardless of the MBSS position. Otherwise, when you leave the dockside you will have to leave the MBSS in the 1, 2 or ALL position so the batteries get charged but this will also power any/all devices/gauges/equipment/lights that may have been left on so you will be consuming as well as charging the batteries. When you leave the boat you should switch off the MAIN DC circuit breaker so nothing remains powered and yet the batteries are charged. Also, if you have any 12v operated fridges these too should wired directly to a battery (HOUSE battery) not the COMMON post of the MBSS). Dual voltage (12v/110v) fridges automatically detect AC so they use shorepower to operate. If you want to shut down the fridges you should use their individual switches or the switches on the DC panel, if any.

Good luck
                          Retired, computer expert / executive
                          Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                          Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                          D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                          [email protected]
                          [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                          X