Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me dodge the minefield.-gctid351275

Hi there,

I am pretty new to all this,and don't actually own a Bayliner,I am based in the uk,living in Cornwall and currently own a 20ft Norman cabin cruiser.I have only just got back on the water after 35 years,my parents owned a boat when I was younger and I am now 48 and in the position to take up this great pass time again..I am hoping in the near future to purchase a Bayliner possibly the 2455 and I thought what better place to find out as much as possible about this craft than a Bayliner owners club.Has anyone got any advice on what to look out for,?What goes wrong,? best engine etc.Any advise would be great.Thanks. Ian

Welcome aboard !

You came to the right place.

In my humble opinion " MHO " a 5.7L would give you enough power. Drive system some here would go with a Volvo. Some would go with a merc. maybe a Bravo 3.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Welcome!

What kind of boating are you looking at doing - fishing, cruising, water skiing, lake, ocean, day trips only, overnighters, week long, etc.

The more info you give, the better opinions will come.

Comment

Jeff H wrote:
        Welcome!

What kind of boating are you looking at doing - fishing, cruising, water skiing, lake, ocean, day trips only, overnighters, week long, etc.

The more info you give, the better opinions will come.
        Welcome to BOC Ian and +1 on what Jeff said.

Also to consider is who will be with you on the boat. Solo cruising, just you and the Admiral (wife), young children, older children, extended family, rowdy friends??? All must be factored into the initial equation or, and trust me on this, "two footitis" will strike you down like lighting.

Good luck with your search, keep both eyes open and above all, don't rush into anything.

Keep in touch!

Comment

Our 1st Bayliner was a 1989 2455 had the 260 hp 5.7 OMC. Was a great boat, plenty of power & had a lot of fun with it. because of availability of OMC parts if I was you I'ld look for a later model with mercruicer power, the only problem I had was leaks on the windows on the deck & the side. Was a easy fix remove old sealant & re-seal. Good luck
          Capt. Ron.
          "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
          "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
          1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
          Hino EH700
          Westerbeke 8.0
          1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
          on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

welcome to the zoo...first off...buy as big a boat as you can afford...cuz you will grow out of a small cruise fast......

2nd...get as big of an engine as possible.....never heard anyone say they wished they had less hp....

finally....never approach the dock faster than your willing to crash into it......don't ask how I know.....

actually the 1999-2006 model yrs are probably the nicer of the models.....

:arr arr

Comment

Cheers for all the imput,I will be using the craft on the sea,mostly weekends with overnight stays on her,maybe will get the odd 3-4 days out.I guess until I get brave it will be mainly coastal distance 6 miles or so out to sea,We will be fishing and chilling with friends and family mainly,Our grandson is 6yrs old and loves going out on the boat,(hope he will get the bug for boating over the years to come.)I agree about size of the craft,I was looking at the 27,but they seem few and far between over here,and the bigger the boat,the more expensive to run.Fuel is a massive issue over here,Diesel is £1.40 per litre and petrol £1.34 per litre. I guess diesel would be the way forward if fuel consumption was better.Any clues to litres per hour on engines?I was also told that the gauges on the helm tend to pack up.Is this true or am I being led down the wrong path.It seems most of the people on here are from the usa and Canada.Don't know how many English there are but would appreciate info from them as well.Cheers. Ian

Comment

Working...
              X