Recommended lenth/size of line for stern tie on 41 ft MY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended lenth/size of line for stern tie on 41 ft MY

Planning to explore Desolation and the Broughtons this Summer and expect to stern tie. What would be a recommended length and size for a stern tie line to hold a Bayliner 4087? Thanks all in advance.

Hi Michael
    There was a post earlier 2/19 on this subject,posted in Bayliner Motor Yacht section. Or just do a surch "stern tie".
    But a quick answer 3/8 to 1/2 in. Floating line 200+ ft. Would work. Most will do a "Loop" through iron eye or tree back to vessel.
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Originally posted by brad4550 View Post
      Hi Michael
      There was a post earlier 2/19 on this subject,posted in Bayliner Motor Yacht section. Or just do a surch "stern tie".
      But a quick answer 3/8 to 1/2 in. Floating line 200+ ft. Would work. Most will do a "Loop" through iron eye or tree back to vessel.
      Please don’t use our trees.

Thank you
      Midnight Star
      1996 3587
      Twin diesels, Hino 250's
      Ladysmith, BC
      History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

Comment

We use 3/8 poly on our 4788, we loop it around something solid onshore. Many of the provincial parks have chains cemented into rock just for this person. A dead snag, a rock above the high tide line or a tree can work.
        Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

• Michael Ramos
          Michael Ramos commented
          Editing a comment
          200 ft was recommended. Does that length sound adequate?

Michael, I wish I knew how much line we have. It is a full spool. We have managed to use most of it at times, mostly because the admiral isn’t always able to hold the boat in position while I go ashore in the dinghy put the line around something and get back! If your crew is on top of things I would think 200’ would work although you may not be able to double it back. You can always splice more on in the future. I made my reel using the spool that came with the rope. Maybe this will give you an idea of how much is on it

Click image for larger version

Name:	0F0C2686-9E66-416E-BDAD-6BC5733C8285.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	567488
        Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

Waggoner suggests 600 feet. Harbor Freight has 600 feet of polypropylene but it's only 1/4 inch. I've used it successfully in lighter winds and currents but it's on the thin side.
          "Impasse". 2001 3988
          Cummins 330's
          Puget Sound

"You don't want to be the richest guy in the nursing home..."

Comment

Form experience I’d say you want a lot more than 200ft. For retrieval you want to loop it back and not have to go ashore again. And some spots simply require more to be safe. We stern tied in a brilliant spot but there were shallow rocks and we had to be about 90 ft off shore. Then the best looping back point was probably 100ft up the shoreline. I’d say play it safe and get at least 500ft.
            BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
            5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
            Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

We have a spool of 600ft 5/8” polypropylene on our 3870......
              have stern tied many times. We have certainly used well over 500 ft of it. We always double back to the boat, so when we leave we just uncleat
              the end and reel the line in back to the spool
              Allan
              1986 - 3870
              175 Hinos
              Moored in Ladysmith BC

Comment

Thanks all for your recommendations. Sitting around in Hunker down in place mode I jumped the gun and ordered 300 ft of 1/2 in poly pro. I suppose I can order another 300 ft and splice the two together.
                Thanks again,
                Michael

Comment

• builderdude
                  builderdude commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If amazon on you can usually alter your order, I’d also say 600’ for ya big boats

I like Stargazer's spool design. Are there others that wouldn't require the DIY approach but are more affordable than the Ultraline?
                Michael

Comment

Working...
                X