Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There a Point Where You Shouldn't Use Compound On Your Old Gelcoat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is There a Point Where You Shouldn't Use Compound On Your Old Gelcoat?

Gearing up for spring with the 96 2855 I just bought. It's my first boat, so needless to say I haven't waxed one before.

The boat is white-ish. I've seen worse, and I've seen better. I'd like to polish it up new, and I'm thinking about using Shurhold Buff Magic, followed by their wax.

The thing that bugs me is the idea of removing layers of gelcoat with that compound, no matter how little it may be. I found a bottle of 3M Rubbing Compound onboard, and I have no way of knowing how much the previous owner used it. The last thing I want to is wear right through the gelcoat and create a bigger problem for myself.

Any thoughts? Should I just wax the boat and call it good?

For that year boat I would not be concerned about removing too much gelcoat. Buff Magic is not very aggressive so you should be fine. 3M makes a #2 buffing/polishing compound I use on my 86 Bayliner every year. It does a great job and prepares the surface for wax. I use the 3m wax also. They both come in purple bottles. I highly recommend them. I did not have much luck with Shurhold products.
    Gibraltar, Mi.
    1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
    34' Tollycraft- sold
    88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
    14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

I have always used 3M buffing compounds and I would recommend using in this order step 1 could be skipped.
      1) 3M Heavy duty rubbing compound (brown). Used for highly oxidation gelcoat.
      2) 3M Imperial compound slightly oxidation gelcoat
      3) 3M Finesse it for removing fine scratches from compounding
      depending on amount of oxidation you could skip a step ou two.I also use double sided wool pads on my buffer. Then I follow with Colinite past wax,buff in an towel off.
      Yes you can buff thru the gelcoat,I have a couple of small spots. You should call last owner see how often he buffed it.?
      Brad & Sharon
      Lady Jake
      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
      LaConner,Wa. (summer)
      2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
      kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

All the product recommendations are good, Gel coat normally is 20 mils thick, to put that in perspective your new car has a paint coating of 2 mills or less.
        Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
        96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

I want to agree with brad4550 regarding 3M Finesse It II Glaze.

As the last step before waxing, it gives a mirror like finish.

I then apply 3M Ultra Performance Paste Wax.

I bought a Ryobi cordless random orbital buffer and use it to apply both.

Even if applied by hand, the wax is easy on/off and smells good.

Neither product is cheap but I have been pleased with the results each spring.
          Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
          Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

Originally posted by vr5200 View Post
            I want to agree with brad4550 regarding 3M Finesse It II Glaze.

As the last step before waxing, it gives a mirror like finish.

I then apply 3M Ultra Performance Paste Wax.

I bought a Ryobi cordless random orbital buffer and use it to apply both.

Even if applied by hand, the wax is easy on/off and smells good.

Neither product is cheap but I have been pleased with the results each spring.
            Regarding that Ryobi, did you get the 6" or the 10" one? I've been eyeing those as I shop for buffers.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far guys.

Comment

Compounding is typically done with a variable speed rotary polisher. I used an inexpensive version from harbor freight with wool pad. They go up in quality and price from there.
              https://www.harborfreight.com/7-in-1...SABEgKzi_D_BwE
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
              (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
              The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I got this 6 inch model (no battery or charger- just bare tool)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Got the bonnets from Walmart-----

copy/paste from late 2017
                Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
                Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

I've been using a variable speed Maktia for buffing for at least 20 years (same one) and a random orbital Porter Cable I use to put on the wax......Although they are getting heavier over the years...has anyone found a robust LIGHT WEIGHT buffer or is that a dream.??
                  Brad & Sharon
                  Lady Jake
                  1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                  LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                  2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
                  kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

• Pcpete
                    Pcpete commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’ve been looking at spring loaded tool hangers to lift my buffer. That way I should be able to just direct and apply pressure without holding the buffer in place.

• builderdude
                    builderdude commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Come on guys, it’s a fantastic upper body workout🤣
                    That Makita is the cats meow, brings back my auto body days👍🏼

If I had a college aged kid, Id buy him a new Toyota Tacoma, a buffer, a generator, and $500 in supplies, and point him to the marina. Total investment maybe $35,000? Cheaper than college.
                  Last time I asked, a guy at the marina wanted $900 to buff my 2859.
                  Any of you all make $900 a day?
                  Esteban
                  Huntington Beach, California
                  Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952
                  Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida

Comment

Originally posted by brad4550 View Post
                    I have always used 3M buffing compounds and I would recommend using in this order step 1 could be skipped.
                    1) 3M Heavy duty rubbing compound (brown). Used for highly oxidation gelcoat.
                    2) 3M Imperial compound slightly oxidation gelcoat
                    3) 3M Finesse it for removing fine scratches from compounding
                    depending on amount of oxidation you could skip a step ou two.I also use double sided wool pads on my buffer. Then I follow with Colinite past wax,buff in an towel off.
                    Yes you can buff thru the gelcoat,I have a couple of small spots. You should call last owner see how often he buffed it.?
                    I like the Collinite waxes as well....925 is as good and as easy astir gets in my opinion. I also use the Buff Magic, personally it’s all I have used as it was recommended to me. I buffed our 1987 SR 300 for the first time, it was heavily oxidized in my opinion any ways and it did a great job. On our 2012 185 I also use Buff Magic, and don’t think that it’s too abrasive at all. Worse spots require more time on that area that’s all....
                    Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
                    2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                    1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                    1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
                    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
                      2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                      1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                      1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
                      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

Yes you can buff through gel coat so be careful but it is a necessary evil for a well maintained boat. The big trick is to keep it waxed after you have it shined up so that you do not have to buff again any time soon. Use a good quality wax and give the boat a good thorough waxing a minimum of twice yearly (more if you are in a sunnier area). Spring and fall at the bare minimum. Buy an orbital waxer (they are really cheap) and just know that you are going to allocate some maintenance time to this job. And btw - there are no viable shortcuts.....forget all the liquid floor wax talk etc. And go with good quality marine wax.
                        Currently watching from shore while deciding what my next boat will be !

Comment

Working...
                        X