Boat Show Season 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Show Season 2020

Like most boaters I look forward to the annual boat shows, in my case in Vancouver BC, and sometimes the Seattle boat show.

We attended the Vancouver boat show last week under the dome at BC Place, and the floating show at Granville Island. We always enjoy the atmosphere at boat shows, we love to check out the new products, including the ‘snake oil’, with the bonus that often meet up with old and new acquaintances as we move around the various trade booths and exhibits. Being retired has the advantage that we can purchase multi-day passes very reasonably, giving us the opportunity spend time looking at the products and services that interest us most without the need to rush anywhere, and having the chance to dock our boat for a few days at a nearby marina just adds to the enjoyment of the occasion.

Here’s my rant.....

For the most part, the folks staffing the exhibits are knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with, but this year we noticed more than ever before, the number of exhibitors staring mindlessly into their cellphones, almost daring you to set foot on to their exhibit as if you were entering their personal space. Seriously, what’s the matter with these people?

If you are a company owner, exhibitions and shows are not cheap in terms of cost for exhibition space, exhibition setup, hotels, your time, and the cost of logistics to move product around, plus the fact that you are away from normal opportunities at your home base. If staring into your phone is more important than visitors to your stand, then you don’t deserve any business.

If you are an employee working the show and need to take phone calls, get off the bloody stand! - I for one don’t want to listen to your call, or have to dodge around you as you walk around ignoring all else but the person on the other end of the call (which may not be business anyway).

Fortunately most exhibitors respect potential customers visiting their exhibit, and it shows. If you are in the other Anti Sales category, either show some respect, or quite frankly, you should stay home.

End of Rant.....
    Rob
    Bayliner 5788
    'Merlin V'
    Vancouver BC

I enjoy being “curb qualified”. The sales people look at me and decide before I’ve opened my mouth, picked up an item to purchase or walked into their booth, that I can’t afford what they are trying to sell. Well, they are sorta correct. I probably can afford whatever I’m interested in, so wrong there; but they are correct that if I’m ignored, I’m not going to buy anything.
    Trade shows can be boring, things just drone on with the same questions, time stands still. I’ve been there. However, anyone trying to sell something needs to put the phone down unless it’s a sales call, and when on a sales call do it discreetly. I don’t need to see or hear you thinking you are looking like a big shot talking on your cell phone. That’s disrespectful of my intelligence.
    rant over. Next?
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Originally posted by MerlinV View Post

.......For the most part, the folks staffing the exhibits are knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with, but this year we noticed more than ever before, the number of exhibitors staring mindlessly into their cellphones, almost daring you to set foot on to their exhibit as if you were entering their personal space. Seriously, what’s the matter with these people?.....

In addition to the phone, I have a few pet peeves:
      • BS'ing with a buddy or another show-goer and not paying attention to someone that wants to ask a question.
        • At the Seattle boat show I stopped by a supplier. I was interested in a product and wanted to ask a question. The rep that was there was engaged in a conversation with someone else about retirement pensions and investments. He continued the conversation, even though he saw me come in to the booth. I waited about 30 seconds before walking away.
      • Telling a person what they need instead of listening to their concerns first.
      • Disparaging a competitor's product.

On the other hand, there are some very good reps at booths:
      • I am about to renew the bottom paint on my boat and had a question about underwater metals. The Pettit and Interlux reps were both very helpful.
      • At the Seattle RV show I had some technical questions regarding a travel trailer. The dealer rep called an engineer from the manufacturer at home on a Sunday. The engineer answered the questions he could off the top of his head. Later that evening I got an email from him with the answers to the rest of my questions.
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

Lately I’ve spent more time at boat shows than boating. Number 5 will be the Miami boat show on Saturday. First time for that one.
        My favorite so far this season was the Fort Myers. It is laid out in a long path so you do not have to plan a route or duplicate anything. And there are beer vendors all along the route. Oh, and most people are wearing flip flops and tees so you do not get treated like a bum if you are not well dressed.
        The Los Angeles boat show was disappointing. Pretty much dominated by high dollar speed boats and 150k wake surf boats...which many people want to ban because of the shoreline damage they cause.
        Esteban
        Huntington Beach, California
        2018 Element 16
        Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
        Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Vancouver was the first show in 15 years that I didn’t see people I knew (well, one).
          Also, from our perspective, it was better supported by vendors than California’s best shows.
          Beer at eight dollars, not so good.
          Joe
          2001 5288
          Lucky Liner ll

Comment

• kwb
            kwb commented
            Editing a comment
            $8 Canadian is far cheaper than what they were at Seattle when you figure the exchange rate.

My wife paid $7.00 for a bottle of water. I don't consider myself cheap, but beer at a buck more seems to be the better deal
          Rob
          Bayliner 5788
          'Merlin V'
          Vancouver BC

Comment

I thought the Vancouver Boat Show was the best one I've been to so far and I've been to many. Perhaps it was because I went there actually looking to buy a number of items. Additionally the advances in electronics were impressive. I found the discounts on the items I was looking to buy were good. The talk I attended on electronics was informative. I did find that the odd person in their booth may not have been as knowledgeable as they should be? In the end I purchased from someone else that was. I feel I got value from my visit. Ya the drinks and food was expensive but that is nothing new from any show I have been to anywhere.
            16' lap straight with B&S inboard, my 1st commercial fishing adventure
            17' run about with original 80ph Volvo, fun with some exploration of the coast
            25' Chris Craft - lots of fun exploring further north on the BC coast
            32' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
            41' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
            38' Permaglass commercial salmon troller - freezer boat, harder work & fun
            1987 3870 with 175 Hinos - back to mostly fun again & exploration

Comment

Working...
            X