Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• captharv
    replied
    The antennas which come with the boat ARE cheapskate and inferior. However, proper display or the US flag is at the stern. I have a simple mount on the top of the transom for the flag. The commodores flag should be at the bow, easily done with a rail mount flag holder.
    TALMAN: most of the new boaters are lost in "letters to the editor" of boating mags.

Leave a comment:

• talman
    replied
    So many boaters do not give a damn about proper flag etiquette. In my opinion, f you can't follow etiquette, don't fly at all.

When I bought my first boat, 100's of years ago, Chapman Piloting & Seamanship, was my bible. New boaters today would toss it after the first chapter, if they even got that far.

If you can't get close to Chapman on flags, don't even try. Crotchety old man rant over.

Here is next best: http://www.usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html#usps-o-flags

Leave a comment:

• kwb
    replied
    Just fly it low on the mast of the antenna

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    You could get a cheapskate antenna where you don’t care about signal strength or quality.

Leave a comment:

• Don77
    replied
    Try this site.
    usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html
    Don

Leave a comment:

• nwboater62
    replied
    That was my first idea Pete.The mount is already installed on the Port side but I haven't been able to come up with an antenna to install.

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    Plan B.1.2.9.6. What about mounting a dummy antenna on the port side, avoiding all the rework of moving the vhf antenna and running the cables, and use it for the flag pole? This time of year is usually a good time for some dumpster diving for old antennas. Fit it, trim it to fit and plug the upper end, and install it on the port side. This will also leave the starboard side open for a courtesy flag.
    I used old antennas in the past and drilled a couple of mounting holes for zip ties then tried to get the slack along the hoist to near zero.

Leave a comment:

• Norton_Rider
    replied
    Originally posted by builderdude View Post
    Good read Pete. I’ve been flying mine at the bow staff as I feel lumped in the “sport fisher” category. I don’t have a gaff, mast, or halyard etc and don’t want to disrespect my colors having it being ripped apart by my fishing gear.
    When the national ensign is in the way of fishing or other gear, it is usually flown up higher from a fishing tower, radar arch, hardtop, flybridge deck, etc. In all cases it should be aft and on centerline. It can be skewed to starboard if it will get fouled with other gear. On my boat I installed a flagstaff on the aft rail of the cockpit hardtop.

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    Good read Pete. I’ve been flying mine at the bow staff as I feel lumped in the “sport fisher” category. I don’t have a gaff, mast, or halyard etc and don’t want to disrespect my colors having it being ripped apart by my fishing gear.

Leave a comment:

• nwboater62
    replied
    Unfortunately, I don't have a radar arch. Looks like I may have to find some support for the antenna and use that.
    Thanks Pete!

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    V/C, on my previous 25kn cruising speed boat, I added an antenna mount to the radar arch, starboard side, and used a 24” extension section to carry my officers flags and the external antenna for my gps. It’s challenging to find a perfect place robust enough so my basic solution was to use a plastic mount so that if there were an issue the knuckles on the mount would fail first. I did have one that broke but the antenna cable kept it with the boat. Even though Glauben is a much slower boat, I still use dedicated flag staffs.
    Check this out https://www.smsa.com/Cruise/cpsflyflags.pdf When you’ve finished and properly display your colors, don’t do what I do and go down the dock going “that ones right; oh, martini flag? Cool I’ll just pop in for one....I get a lot of puzzled looks; I wonder if that guy realizes his burgee is upside down....”

Leave a comment:

• nwboater62
    started a topic Flag Etiquet

Flag Etiquet

I don't really have a lot of options for displaying a flag on my boat, not wanting to put one on the antenna for obvious reasons. I need to fly my Vice Commodore flag and was wondering if it is proper to fly it on the staff under the American flag?
Working...
X