Flag Etiquet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flag Etiquet

I don't really have a lot of options for displaying a flag on my boat, not wanting to put one on the antenna for obvious reasons. I need to fly my Vice Commodore flag and was wondering if it is proper to fly it on the staff under the American flag?
    Ted G
    The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
    Designers Edition
    Mercury 350 Mag
    290 Volvo DP

V/C, on my previous 25kn cruising speed boat, I added an antenna mount to the radar arch, starboard side, and used a 24” extension section to carry my officers flags and the external antenna for my gps. It’s challenging to find a perfect place robust enough so my basic solution was to use a plastic mount so that if there were an issue the knuckles on the mount would fail first. I did have one that broke but the antenna cable kept it with the boat. Even though Glauben is a much slower boat, I still use dedicated flag staffs.
    Check this out https://www.smsa.com/Cruise/cpsflyflags.pdf When you’ve finished and properly display your colors, don’t do what I do and go down the dock going “that ones right; oh, martini flag? Cool I’ll just pop in for one....I get a lot of puzzled looks; I wonder if that guy realizes his burgee is upside down....”
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't have a radar arch. Looks like I may have to find some support for the antenna and use that.
      Thanks Pete!
      Ted G
      The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
      Designers Edition
      Mercury 350 Mag
      290 Volvo DP

Comment

Good read Pete. I’ve been flying mine at the bow staff as I feel lumped in the “sport fisher” category. I don’t have a gaff, mast, or halyard etc and don’t want to disrespect my colors having it being ripped apart by my fishing gear.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
          Good read Pete. I’ve been flying mine at the bow staff as I feel lumped in the “sport fisher” category. I don’t have a gaff, mast, or halyard etc and don’t want to disrespect my colors having it being ripped apart by my fishing gear.
          When the national ensign is in the way of fishing or other gear, it is usually flown up higher from a fishing tower, radar arch, hardtop, flybridge deck, etc. In all cases it should be aft and on centerline. It can be skewed to starboard if it will get fouled with other gear. On my boat I installed a flagstaff on the aft rail of the cockpit hardtop.
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Plan B.1.2.9.6. What about mounting a dummy antenna on the port side, avoiding all the rework of moving the vhf antenna and running the cables, and use it for the flag pole? This time of year is usually a good time for some dumpster diving for old antennas. Fit it, trim it to fit and plug the upper end, and install it on the port side. This will also leave the starboard side open for a courtesy flag.
            I used old antennas in the past and drilled a couple of mounting holes for zip ties then tried to get the slack along the hoist to near zero.
            P/C Pete
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

That was my first idea Pete.The mount is already installed on the Port side but I haven't been able to come up with an antenna to install.
              Ted G
              The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
              Designers Edition
              Mercury 350 Mag
              290 Volvo DP

Comment

Try this site.
                usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html
                Don
                1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
                1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
                1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
                10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
                1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
                "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

You could get a cheapskate antenna where you don’t care about signal strength or quality.
                  P/C Pete
                  1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                  MMSI 367770440

Comment

Just fly it low on the mast of the antenna
                    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

So many boaters do not give a damn about proper flag etiquette. In my opinion, f you can't follow etiquette, don't fly at all.

When I bought my first boat, 100's of years ago, Chapman Piloting & Seamanship, was my bible. New boaters today would toss it after the first chapter, if they even got that far.

If you can't get close to Chapman on flags, don't even try. Crotchety old man rant over.

Here is next best: http://www.usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html#usps-o-flags

Tally and Vicki
                      "Wickus" Meridian 341
                      MMSI 338014939

Comment

The antennas which come with the boat ARE cheapskate and inferior. However, proper display or the US flag is at the stern. I have a simple mount on the top of the transom for the flag. The commodores flag should be at the bow, easily done with a rail mount flag holder.
                        TALMAN: most of the new boaters are lost in "letters to the editor" of boating mags.
                        Captharv 2001 2452
                        "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Working...
                        X