Search for the right kicker motor mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search for the right kicker motor mount

I've been looking for an adjustable kicker motor mount that can handle a 9.9 high thrust and get the engine lower into the water than most others on the market. My problem is that manufacture motor mount specs don't usually provide this information and they usually don't even show pictures or drawings showing the mount in the lowered position. Most manufactures only provide vertical travel in inches and pictures in the up position. What I'm finding is that many adjustable mounts only lowers the mount to the 90 degree position (straight out). I need a mount that lowers more than 90 degrees, image below shows an example of what I'm talking about. A few more inches down can get a extra long shaft anti-cavitation plate equal to the bottom of my boat for optimal performance.

I'm mounting the motor mount to a swim platform and using a heavy duty L bracket to attach the kicker mount to. The swim platform is 30 inches above the bottom of my boat.

If anyone knows of a mount that lowers the engine more than 90 degrees than place post the product information.

Thank you

Click image for larger version  Name:	mount position.JPG Views:	0 Size:	20.4 KB ID:	559379
    It's all a dream
    '03 245 5.7/BIII & '07 Sedona pontoon

If the total vertical travel is adequate, wouldn't it be a matter of installing the mount lower on the L-bracket to achieve what you need?
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
      If the total vertical travel is adequate, wouldn't it be a matter of installing the mount lower on the L-bracket to achieve what you need?
      The L-bracket I identified is 6061 T6 angle stock which is only available in 8"x8"x.5" max. I could find another option but so far.
      It's all a dream

Comment

On my wish list is a motor mount that travel's vertical up and down. Advantage is when parked in a tight marina, if the kicker is tilted out and up it impedes traffic by sticking out, on my boat over 2 feet ( X- long shaft), one other is with the kicker up backing in to a slip, I always concerned of running in to the cross dock.
        Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
        96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Originally posted by fritzman View Post
          On my wish list is a motor mount that travel's vertical up and down. Advantage is when parked in a tight marina, if the kicker is tilted out and up it impedes traffic by sticking out, on my boat over 2 feet ( X- long shaft), one other is with the kicker up backing in to a slip, I always concerned of running in to the cross dock.
          I was not familiar with a motor mount that travels vertical without a swing-out mechanism but you got me curious and I started researching it. This gave me some more ideas to run down. Thanks!
          It's all a dream

Comment

Originally posted by Don9 View Post

The L-bracket I identified is 6061 T6 angle stock which is only available in 8"x8"x.5" max. I could find another option but so far.
            Do you have a fabricator with a brake nearby? It would be better to custom bend a bracket from stock. Just make sure they use the correct minimum bend radius for the temper and thickness.
            Anacortes, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post

Do you have a fabricator with a brake nearby? It would be better to custom bend a bracket from stock. Just make sure they use the correct minimum bend radius for the temper and thickness.
              I was looking at 6061 T6 extruded aluminum structural angle equal leg raw stock. I was thinking I could add an extension plate using the same material except in extruded plate form instead of extruded angle. The max leg equal leg angle available is 8"x8"x.5" and I was going to have it cut to 8" so it would be 8x8x8x.5

Here is some info provided by the supplier:

6061-T6 American Standard Angle

is an extruded aluminum product that is very versatile and has a wide range of applications. 6061 Aluminum angle is made from one of the most widely used heat treatable aluminum alloys. It has excellent corrosion resistance, good workability and good machinability. 6061 aluminum structural angle applications include a wide variety of products from medical assemblies, aircraft construction to structural components. 6061 t6 aluminum angle has a high strength to weight ratio making it ideal for any application where parts need to be light.

Cutting tolerance: -0/+.125

6061 Structural Angle Equal Leg

Used for engineering and structural applications. Tensile strength range 20 to 42 KSI. Conforms to AMS QQ-A- 250/8
              --Due to material handling and processing items may have light scratching. Raw Material is not meant to have a finished cosmetic look--
              It's all a dream

Comment

I was looking at 6061 T6 extruded aluminum structural angle equal leg raw stock. I was thinking I could add an extension plate using the same material except in extruded plate form instead of extruded angle. The max leg equal leg angle available is 8"x8"x.5" and I was going to have it cut to 8" so it would be 8x8x8x.5

Here is some info provided by the supplier:

6061-T6 American Standard Angle

is an extruded aluminum product that is very versatile and has a wide range of applications. 6061 Aluminum angle is made from one of the most widely used heat treatable aluminum alloys. It has excellent corrosion resistance, good workability and good machinability. 6061 aluminum structural angle applications include a wide variety of products from medical assemblies, aircraft construction to structural components. 6061 t6 aluminum angle has a high strength to weight ratio making it ideal for any application where parts need to be light.

Cutting tolerance: -0/+.125

6061 Structural Angle Equal Leg

Used for engineering and structural applications. Tensile strength range 20 to 42 KSI. Conforms to AMS QQ-A- 250/8
                --Due to material handling and processing items may have light scratching. Raw Material is not meant to have a finished cosmetic look--
                That would work, but a custom bent section may be better.

6061 is a very common alloy. It's fairly strong and weldable. There are stronger alloys, but they are not weldable, and not as common.

Make sure to use an aluminum etching primer and a good paint on it. Consider using shouldered nylon washers under the fasteners to minimize dissimilar metal corrosion.
                Anacortes, WA

Comment

• Don9
                  Don9 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the info. What material would be a better choice?

Remember the bracket I had on my 1802 Capri? I 'll send you a E-Mail tomorrow with pictures, I believe I still have the measurements. I had it fabricated out of 1/4" sheet aluminum and welded together.
                Are you measuring down from where the projected mount will be or to the centerline? My 5hp Merc was a 20" shaft and cleared the bottom of the hull.

Comment

• Don9
                  Don9 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Dave. With my L bracket only being 8 inches on each leg a typical bracket (stationary or adjustable) will just fit. A typical motor mount pad top surface will be above the boat side mounting bracket as shown in my first post top image. I measure from the top surface of the motor mount pad in the lowest adjustable position to the bottom of the boat in the location directly in front of where the kicker prop would be, not at the centerline. One thing I was not considering is the setback distance of the kicker prop due to the kicker being attached to the swim platform and how that impacts the performance issues relative to the vertical position of the kicker prop. Maybe getting the cavitation plate exactly at the boat bottom is not as critical when the prop is setback 2-3 feet.

the 6061 structural is equal to steel of the same thickness, but the aluminum has much more flex under load than steel. it would be a good choice....

here is a rough drawing of a bracket I made for a sailboat. it had the same problem that the motor would not lift high enough in a rough sea.... when the motor is down and being used, you have to take what you get, but when its up and not being used its nice to keep it out of the water when the boat is pitching.. the length of the swing arms is the secret, and the small block and tackle handles it easily without having to lean over the rear of the boat to fiddle with a lock latch to get it to lower or lift... the block and tackle will let you adjust it for any height within the entire range of its swing...

Click image for larger version

Name:	outboard bracket.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	559514

NU LIBERTE'
                Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                N2K equipped throughout..
                2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

• Don9
                  Don9 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the good info. My swim platform is ~15" above the water surface and the bottom of the boat is another ~15". So if I use a extra long shaft (25") kicker I need to get the top of the motor mount pad down 5" relative to the swim platform top surface. And being I have a cruiser that can exceed 40mph I need to keep the kicker prop well above the water when not in use.

I forgot to ask, what's the best material and thickness to use for a motor mount pad?
                It's all a dream

Comment

• Centerline2
                  Centerline2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  as Norton_Rider said, starboard... its a polyethylene plastic, like is on the OEM brackets, but about anything will work. you can buy the kicker mount pads, ready to bolt on from many sources.

one suggestion i will make is.. not all mounting pads have indents for the motor clamp pads to recess into. I would definitely get a forstner bit of the correct size and make some about a 1/4' deep, so if the clamps vibrate loose, you will notice before davy jones gets the motor... which I see Norton' has addressed already..

I used 1/2" starboard on both sides of a stainless mount, so 1" plus the metal thickness. I also routed a couple of circular indentations in the starboard where the outboard clamp pads would go. That way it did not slide around if the clamps loosened up a bit.
                Anacortes, WA

Comment

• Don9
                  Don9 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank You

Don 9 You are right, I have not found a commercial unit on the market , thanks for the aluminum information, since it may be a DYI project.

Comment

Picture 0f home made kicker lift on a 2859 that was fore sale.

Comment

Picture 0f home made kicker lift on a 2859 that was fore sale.

Comment

Working...
                    X