X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burrrrr.... Chilly Boating!

Burrr it’s cold!!!

Right now in Seward Alaska it’s 13 degrees

I am back on the boat after nearly a month of holidays and vacationing in Texas.

Right now I’m thinking that the Rockport Texas harbor needs a 4788

Glad to be aboard! I have all three furnaces going full blast, the generator running, and all the electric heaters on. I think this is the lower limit of my heating capacity!

All that said I am sitting in my Pilot House enjoying a adult beverage and plotting my future, someplace warmer than Alaska for the winter!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

you got a trustworthy boat and the road is wide open to warmer waters... all you have to do is hoist the anchor and get the pointy end headed south... if I lived on, and worked from my boat, you could bet that I wouldnt be spending my winters in alaska, or anywhere else that has mostly cold nasty weather throughout the winter months.... its a hard living when one is struggling to stay warm.

NU LIBERTE'
    Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
    5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
    N2K equipped throughout..
    2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
    2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
    '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
    Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Not to rub it in, but here in Texas it's been upper 70s and up to 80 this week. It will be freezing next week though...down to mid 40s for few days.
      2008 H210SS Four Winns
      Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
      Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
      Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

You guys are killin me!

I have to say that of all the places I’ve been, All the places I’ve looked at from a potential Snowbird perspective, The Texas gulf coast felt the most comfortable.

The People of Texas are flat out Fantastic. The folks we met along the way made us feel at home. The small town atmosphere along the Gulf Coast is really apealing.

I have no clue how this is all going to work out in the end, or where I’ll wash up, but I can tell you that we really enjoyed Texas, especially the Rockport-Fulton-Lamar areas.

I love Alaska in the summer, but in the winter it’s a difficult place. My wife says I’m a “winer” about the weather, and she is right. She is comfortable in our home, I am not. My challenge is to figure out how to get her to leave our Alaskan Ice Castle for the winters. I really prefer not to go it alone, but I am committed that I am not growing old locked inside for 6 months out of the year.

I have a nice boat, one that we or I can take anywhere.
        We could buy a nice RV and travel.
        We cold buy a decent second home and snowbird to that.

I turn 58 in a couple of months and my pensions are fully payable. I also have my business that is set up to run from the cloud.
        I have one more year till I’m 59 and then We can tap into our savings as well.

We just have to decide what to do. I will continue working part time for the next year. I am schedule to work 130 shifts in 2020. This not only pays a good wage, it provides medical insurance as well.

After that it’s anybodies ball game.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

My wife and I spent 2 weeks over Christmas at our condo in Puerto Rico and it was really hard to come back to the cold. I'm retired with a P/T job and she's hoping to retire by year end. After that we'll probably become snowbirds, living 4-5 months in PR and the rest of the year in WA.
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
            My wife and I spent 2 weeks over Christmas at our condo in Puerto Rico and it was really hard to come back to the cold. I'm retired with a P/T job and she's hoping to retire by year end. After that we'll probably become snowbirds, living 4-5 months in PR and the rest of the year in WA.
            Snowbirding seems to be a favor’s theme.

I live in a neighborhood wgere almost everyone is getting up in the years.
            They all have snowbird places in a warmer climate. The favorite for my neighborhood seems to be the Goodyear Arizona area.
            I do not understamnd the attraction to that place except that it’s warm.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Visited Arizona once, got off the plane and asked where are the mountains and real trees?
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
              (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
              The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

• Centerline2
                Centerline2 commented
                Editing a comment
                the only real mountain and trees in arizona are on Mt Lemmon :-)

• JThiessen
                JThiessen commented
                Editing a comment
                Flagstaff is a GRAT location in the mountains.

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
              Visited Arizona once, got off the plane and asked where are the mountains and real trees?
              Yep that’s about it. Yes there are pretty places, but... Yes we did like the Lake Havasu area and will return.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

There’s a lot to be said about not having to deal with snow, ice and cold for 6 mos out of the year! Then there’s a month on either side of that when it’s deciding to be or get cold leaving only about 4 mos of comfortable, outside activity weather. There’s hardly anything better than having a shorts and tee shirt wardrobe year round! The trouble I’m having is there is no one perfect place that I’ve found. Alaska is an awesome boating local in the summer but to run the boat from there to the Sea of Cortez every year is a significant undertaking. Thus many base their boat somewhere then commute.
                I’d like to go check out Florida myself. Great jumping off locale to boat the Caribbean and great winter Wx!
                so many different choices, so little time!
                Jim Gandee
                1989 3888
                Hino 175's
                Fire Escape
                [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Gandee View Post
                  There’s a lot to be said about not having to deal with snow, ice and cold for 6 mos out of the year! Then there’s a month on either side of that when it’s deciding to be or get cold leaving only about 4 mos of comfortable, outside activity weather. There’s hardly anything better than having a shorts and tee shirt wardrobe year round! The trouble I’m having is there is no one perfect place that I’ve found. Alaska is an awesome boating local in the summer but to run the boat from there to the Sea of Cortez every year is a significant undertaking. Thus many base their boat somewhere then commute.
                  I’d like to go check out Florida myself. Great jumping off locale to boat the Caribbean and great winter Wx!
                  You are correct. Tee shirt weather is May-September. April and October are transition months. The rest of the time it’s cold. At my house it’s a sheet of ice November through March. Seward is better. Normally we are about 10 degrees colder than Seattle. Wet and Rainy.

Yes it’s a very long commute from Alaska to Baja and back again. Really too far unless you are 100% full time on the boat.

If my wife in the end likes shoveling snow that much then I’ll cruise south and base the boat out of SOCAL, probably San Diego with trips down the Baja.

If I can get her to winter elsewhere I’ll keep the boat in Alaska and continue this adventure in the summer.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
                    There are lots of both in parts of Arizona.
                    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                    Anacortes, WA

Comment

It's all relative I guess....I cant stand cold. I will take a 100 degree day over 40 degrees anytime. I like spending my time outside in t shirt and shorts.

Rockport is big retirement local.....farther south its baffin bay for serious fishing all the way to port Mansfield, which is on south border of King Ranch.

I will say, if you get in a jam you usually have to turn people away offering to help. I had the kiddo and wife on way to lake and had a flat on boat trailer with spare flat too. Farmer stopped, hauled us to tire store and while we waited he went to store and brought some neapolitan blue bell ice cream sandwiches.....we were near Brenham, home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.

most folks outside of ruined big cities are extremely down to earth good people.....cant say that about big city areas. I assume it's that way everywhere
                      2008 H210SS Four Winns
                      Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
                      Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
                      Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Gandee View Post
                        Imagine having a shorts and tshirt wardrobe your whole life!
                        A few years ago I was flying back from Hawaii and the man next to me was flying to the mainland for the first time ever to go to a wedding. He said he had to buy pants because he never had any before!

Esteban
                        Huntington Beach, California
                        Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952
                        Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida

Comment

Working...
                        X