glossy bottom paint-gctid351123

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glossy bottom paint-gctid351123

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/653967=24646-2008 Bayliner 300 SB 1.jpg[/img] Looking around at various boats online and noticed some seem to have a glossy finish on the bottom paint . I am planning on taking on this project before launching this year, as we have tried every other substance known to man . I really do not like the look of bottom paint and we have eliminated white paint as an option. I have recently received an email from a friend for a Bayliner 300 we have been interested in upgrading to and it also shows a shiny bottom paint (black) too. Ive exhausted myself searching online to the various manufacturers of antifoul paint for a gloss finish. Anyone shed some light on this for me. check the reflection on the bottom paint in the pic.

I have not seen glossy bottom paint right out of the can. I know that the top notch racing sailboat owners spend a LOT of time and effort getting a smooth and glossy bottom. They will wet sand with very fine sandpaper then burnish the bottom with things like burlap etc. they will spent days doing this before a race, only to do it all over again for the next race.

Good luck finding a glossy bottom

Comment

It's Rustoleum! :kidding But seriously, it might be for boats that spend most of their lives on a boat lift or a trailer. If that's the case, growth is not an issue and a simple washing once in a while keeps it shiny.

Comment

lol, im going with the Pettit Vivid Gallon of blue and quart of red gives me a darker blue. I got a feeling i was just over thinking it. Looking forward to a grassless bottom this year. and i think ill rub down the prop and drive in some *** cream to boot!

Comment

The Pettit Vivid w/ a very smooth roller works well for me when I paint my bottom.

Comment

I am going to try that on my deck boat. It will be in and out of the water , but will sit in the water most of the summer so I need a bottom paint. I want white and it comes in white, so it should look good.

Comment

That "SHINY" area is the part that is in the water all the time. if you look at the water line and above, it is flat black with the white chalky scum on it.... not so shiny.

Comment

Looks like the shiny one is an epoxy based paint.
                Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

Comment

Scraping B wrote:

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img] Looking around at various boats online and noticed some seem to have a glossy finish on the bottom paint . I am planning on taking on this project before launching this year, as we have tried every other substance known to man . I really do not like the look of bottom paint and we have eliminated white paint as an option. I have recently received an email from a friend for a Bayliner 300 we have been interested in upgrading to and it also shows a shiny bottom paint (black) too. Ive exhausted myself searching online to the various manufacturers of antifoul paint for a gloss finish. Anyone shed some light on this for me. check the reflection on the bottom paint in the pic.
                  I am not 100% sure but I know of no ANTIFOULING paint that comes in a gloss finish. What this appears to be is a paint finish for appearance only.

Comment

wingless wrote:
                    The Pettit Vivid w/ a very smooth roller works well for me when I paint my bottom.
                    I won't even bother to ask for details. It's a disturbing image, lol.

Comment

Abigayle 3 , you are correct sir! upon further review of my photo i do believe what i thought was a reflection is actually a scum line residue. Im past the search for gloss and have picked a paint for use . Again much thanks for replies.

Comment

crowder.dr wrote:
                        I am not 100% sure but I know of no ANTIFOULING paint that comes in a gloss finish. What this appears to be is a paint finish for appearance only.
                        Pettit VIVID is probably as bright an antifouling paint you will find, don't know if it's glossy though:

http://www.pettitpaint.com/vivid.asp

Joey
                        2007 Discovery 246
                        5.0L MPI BRAVO III
                        The "BAY-BEA"

Comment

Working...
                        X