Stern Anchoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stern Anchoring

Being its winter...I'm rigging up a stern anchor, which I've never had before. Curious for those who are accustomed to this, I guess you get bow anchor set then wind up and chunk stern anchor somewhere around hernia distance?

I usually anchor around the 4 to 5' depth with bow away from shore due to wake of other boats....all is good unless the wind is blowing from shore.

just for safety I swapped the 50' anchor rode with 200' should I want/need to anchor min 20+ feet for some reason. I will pickup a smaller danforth for the stern I reckon.

at least I will not have to swim out to get boat after wind pivots it around.

2008 H210SS Four Winns
    Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
    Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
    Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

let out extra from the front, drop the stern, pull in the front a bit to balance the two.
    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

• TX H210 SS
      TX H210 SS commented
      Editing a comment
      Well that makes simple sense.... the obvious escaped me.

Now if I can keep smart folks from motoring over the anchor lines it will be great. That's been an issue several times as they just dont get how far out from the boat the lines extend.

What ever you do, or what ever you rig up, and what ever size/type anchor you chose........ when in current, NEVER set a stern anchor that has greater holding ability than that of your bow anchor.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

TX H210,
      if you’re worried about others setting their anchor over yours you can easily rig your anchor with a marker buoy which also provides you with a trip line should you anchor ever become stuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvD7C3HukrM
      Jim Gandee
      1989 3888
      Hino 175's
      Fire Escape
      [email protected]
      Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

• TX H210 SS
        TX H210 SS commented
        Editing a comment
        That is pretty darn slick... thanks...I have all parts needed for that. At least they will think there's something to avoid above anchor. If they motor over it and wrap up their prop then I've not lost much.

Some of these folks skiing and tubing have really been clueless....I've had them damn near collide with my boat as they have their head up their transom....my boat is red and white!

Originally posted by TX H210 SS View Post
      Being its winter...I'm rigging up a stern anchor, which I've never had before. Curious for those who are accustomed to this, I guess you get bow anchor set then wind up and chunk stern anchor somewhere around hernia distance?

I usually anchor around the 4 to 5' depth with bow away from shore due to wake of other boats....all is good unless the wind is blowing from shore.

just for safety I swapped the 50' anchor rode with 200' should I want/need to anchor min 20+ feet for some reason. I will pickup a smaller danforth for the stern I reckon.

at least I will not have to swim out to get boat after wind pivots it around.
      Upon our move to your neck of the woods, Lake Hartwell, I am just gonna beach all my toys...so excited to to have all the “islands” to be able to hang out on. Still packing things here in Hell, but much of the “fleet” is in GA already....still have the pontoon which is negotiable with the Hell house, and 3 more jet skis...I am in the wrong the business after seeing the quotes to move a 5 bedroom, 4 full bath, 2 kitchen 4000 Sq ft home from Michigan to Georgia....no wonder some of these companies have some really nice rigs that you see on the highways!
      Lake Hartwell, GA
      2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
      1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
      1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
      1996 SeaDoo GTX
      1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

• TX H210 SS
        TX H210 SS commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice weather change ahead for you....we usually anchor up and hang out in water along edge of shore within the coves. Here the island waters arent protected so much and can' be pretty rough.... on the beach side of island anyway.

Good luck with the move and enjoy

Hi Brad
      Boating in the PNW we (boaters) stern tie to shore a lot.... so I use yellow poly line it's highly visible and won't get caught in your props. You could also tie flots/fenders off that stern line to make it noticeable.
      Brad & Sharon
      Lady Jake
      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
      LaConner,Wa. (summer)
      2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
      kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

• TX H210 SS
        TX H210 SS commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep....I've used ski rope to tie up to shore before and definitely a good option if theres something handy to tie up to. I think getting a small danforth will help with this as I can stick it in the shore by hand.

Sure makes me envious of those fishing rigs with power poles....they just chunk an anchor and then push a button for the power pole and done....had a bud who learned the anchor is still required as they were wade fishing in bay when tide came in and raised the boat, which floated away.

anchoring in 10ft or less is simple enough if you have very little current or wind, but I have found we typically anchor in waters from 20 to 50 feet... we have anchored as deep as 80ft, but this is getting on the extreme edge of safe anchoring in mild conditions and should NEVER be attempted in wind or current.... we anchor a lot in wind and current, and if you want the anchor to hold in these conditions, you have to do it with some thought.....

in either current or wind, the boat can "sail/swing" on the anchor, which means the boat will yaw one way, and when its gets to the end of the yaw in that direction, the boat will swing and it will yaw the other way, which the length of the yawing is determined by the amount of rode that is out.... and this will continue forever until the rode chafes so bad that it parts....

in current, I like to set 2 bow anchors in a V formation, and this will prevent the yaw and give excellent holding....

in light current or light wind, you can set one bow anchor as normal and just drop the 2nd anchor straight down from the stern, which will cause a drag so the boat doesnt yaw or swing...

if the winds are a bit stronger and shifty, of if the current is in one direction and the wind is coming the other way, you will need to do as suggested and drop the bow anchor and back down as far as the rode allows and then drop the stern anchor, then adjust the rode at the bow to the proper scope for the conditions....

WARNING.. trying to anchor in too much current will sink your boat so fast that you wont have time to wonder whats happening, or where your boat went as you go swimming down current trying to survive...
      anything more than about 3 kts current is getting near dangerous anchoring conditions for those that havent experienced anchoring in currents.... wind is less dangerous than current, but still has its struggles and safety issues to contend with.

the bow should always face in the direction of the current, and if there is no current, then it should face the wind....

if you are near shore, a "stern tie" to an object on shore is a good option as well....

NU LIBERTE'
      Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
      5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
      N2K equipped throughout..
      2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
      2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
      '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
      Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

• TX H210 SS
        TX H210 SS commented
        Editing a comment
        Good write up.... as far our use, I never anchor any deeper than 15 feet. Only reason we do that is when folks want to dive and swim. Usually .its 5 to 7 as we stop to listen to music, cool off and have a beer.

I got 200' of line plus a chain that make up the rode.....95 percent of time im in a lake but have gone to the river before, so went long to make sure I had enough rode to allow anchor to grab

• Centerline2
        Centerline2 commented
        Editing a comment
        being in a lake, the stern anchor can be as simple as a gallon can filled with concrete, (which was my dads favorite kind of anchor, as its no big loss if it gets fouled in the rocks and lost).... you just need a drag at the rear to keep the boat from swinging on the bow anchor
    Working...
    X