Coval Molecular Coatings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coval Molecular Coatings

Anyone ever heard of, or used, Coval Molecular Coatings, as a bottom coat?
    I normally look at all the "amazing" products as a bit of snake oil. But, I'm negotiating on the purchase of a 4788 and the fellow that owns it currently went on and on about how special it is. (I got this third hand from the broker.)
    I guess if I buy the boat, i'll be a fan, but I figured it was worth asking the conventional wisdom.
    file:///C:/Users/tonif/OneDrive/Docu...ta%20Sheet.pdf
    Toni

Yelm, Washington
    1994 Hino powered 4788

Link doesn't work
    Irony
    1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
    Portsmouth, NH

Comment

is that a ceramic coating? you linked to a local file on your hard drive. It would have to have some bio-cide on it I would imagine for it to work. Otherwise its just a slick surface, if that were true if you put a teflon coated pan into the water it shouldn't grow barnacles and algae... curious if that is enough.

Comment

Link to the manufacturers page: https://covalmolecular.com/products/coval-marine/

Sounds interesting but I'm trying to go to no bottom coat since I don't really need it.
        Justin
        1984 2150 Ciera "C-ya"
        AQ225D w/ 280
        MMSI 338355691
        St. Joseph, Michigan

Comment

thanks for fixing the link. I have trouble turning the computer on, so me having the wrong link is to be expected. Appreciate the help.
          Toni

Yelm, Washington
          1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

After reading the Mfgs pitch on the link above, I'd say that if it is truly being used in industry (large ships, oil rigs etc.) then it may be a viable product that works. It may also be very expensive and/or require special application which is why it may not be a "common" solution. With all that said, if the boat is in good/great shape otherwise, is what you are looking for and passes all your inspections, surveys (If performed) and the price is right, go for it. Worse case scenario is that it doesn't hold up as expected and you have to revert to having the bottom coated with a more conventional covering.

I'll be reading more about it as time permits as it does sound interesting. Might steal one of the admirals Teflon pans and hang it in the water to see if T4T's idea "pans" out.
            2004 Monterey 282 Cruiser
            Twin Volvo Penta 5.0GXi-E
            SX-M 1.6gr Outdrives
            Docks @ Punta Gorda, Florida

Comment

Working...
            X