I am gonna share, instead.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am gonna share, instead.....

Living here in the Pacific Northwest brings us lots of bountiful opportunities....catching and eating Dungeness crab, is one of those blessings.
    I do pretty good, catching them, with limits pretty much the norm for my wife and I, and that is usually 3 times a week, so as you can see, that can add up quickly.
    Seems we live on them, the first few weeks of the season, then it starts to abate, somewhat....
    I then start cleaning and freezing the meat, but it never taste as good as fresh....never.
    I just took some out this week, made omelets, etc.... and I have decided, no more will I freeze crab.
    I will start to give it away, fresh, to neighbors and friends, who are not as lucky as I am.
    I guess down deep, I am selfish......arg.
    Perhaps this little gesture can bring about other positive change in my life too....one can always hope.

Thanks for reading....

Its a lot of bloody work freezing them but I like having frozen crab for crab dip. Other than for that I wouldn't bother freezing it either.
    R.J.(Bob) Evans
    Buchanan, SK
    Cierra 2755
    Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
    Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

Wish I lived closer!
      1984 2150 Ciera
      AQ225D w/ AQ280
      St. Joseph, Michigan

Comment

Sharing with friends and family is what life should be about. Making friends to share experiences with makes life rewarding.
        1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

I have a whole bunch of crab frozen too. The Admiral has a fun casserole with rice, shrimp and crab. We make crab dip constantly, love it. FWIW, I’m going to be looking for guests to go crabbing with me.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          MMSI 367770440

Comment

Good deal...wish I was a neighbor too. I do same with venison and axis meat.

Each year my bro is required by the state to harvest around 20 deer off his place. We usually clean many of them and deliver to the shelter in town....they process and distribute to those in need so nothing goes to waste.
            2008 H210SS Four Winns
            Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
            Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
            Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

Tara and I have discussed your predicament Island Eddie, and we've decided to help you out. We'll be in your neighborhood later this year, and we have lots of room for crab meat in our motorhome fridge. No need to thank us, it's the least we can do to help out a brother boater...
              Jeff & Tara
              (And Ginger too)
              Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
              "GetAway"
              Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

I quit fishing in Washington years ago and devoted that time to Crabbing. I too love crab omelettes. Have you tried Vacuum sealing your crab.??
                  Brad & Sharon
                  Lady Jake
                  1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                  LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                  2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
                  kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Need to move closer, then on the other hand I can just set a batch the on the porch in Montana and have frozen crab.
                    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
                    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Learning how to crab is something the wife and I have talked of on a few occasions. She loves crab more than I do so it might be good leverage to get her out on the boat more often which means I'd get out on the boat more often.

I'd be interested in knowing what you all recommend as the basic set of gear I would need to get started. I don't necessarily want the cheapest but should we decide it's just not for us I don't want to be out a bunch of money and stuck with gear I can't get rid of.

Paul
                      US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
                      MMSI: 338181912

Comment

Originally posted by O1dSoldier View Post
                        Learning how to crab is something the wife and I have talked of on a few occasions. She loves crab more than I do so it might be good leverage to get her out on the boat more often which means I'd get out on the boat more often.

I'd be interested in knowing what you all recommend as the basic set of gear I would need to get started. I don't necessarily want the cheapest but should we decide it's just not for us I don't want to be out a bunch of money and stuck with gear I can't get rid of.
                        Its pretty simple.
                        I have used the commercial type traps, heavy, leaving them out overnight, etc...pulling them once a day ( I live really close to the water, we have our own ramp ) and of course, did really good....
                        It was ALL ABOUT catching, not really about enjoying.
                        I have since only trapped, when the wife and I go out, together, using the cheap, fold-able, traps, weighted line, and 100 feet of it. I do have a electric puller, makes all the difference in the world, as I can lift the traps right out of the water, swing them over to a "sorting" table I made for the transom, no more bending over, etc....
                        I use turkey legs, and maybe clams I dig on the beach, they LOVE clams....or salmon head/bones, after I filleted my fish.
                        I usually soak less than a hour, and check.
                        I have found better results by checking, and moving the traps around to the best "first" pull, of the initial set of 4 we put out....I fish them about 100 feet apart, to start, then bunch them tightly for the last set....we are usually done after a second check/pull.
                        I bring my traps home, don't leave them out....everything goes into a nice plastic storage bin, easy to rinse and store, and load in boat, the next time we go out.
                        OH....and I make my wife sort and measure her own crab

Comment

Originally posted by O1dSoldier View Post
                          I bought used commercial traps. I don't recall spending a bunch of money on them. The light recreational stuff will move around if there's any current - the commercial ones pretty much stay where you drop them. Beyond that, find someone on your dock who has caught crabs and ask his advice. I never told anyone where I dropped my prawn traps but crabs are easy. I used the commercial bait and there's some really stinky oil they dump on the bait. Its a truly disgusting vile concoction but it works.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
                          Buchanan, SK
                          Cierra 2755
                          Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
                          Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

Originally posted by Island Eddie View Post
                            I will start to give it away, fresh, to neighbors and friends, who are not as lucky as I am...............
                            Please send to me at;

12345 NW Rick Street.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

We are really blessed in the NW ! Sharing is what it is all about. The best investment in crab gear was the Hamilton Pot Hauler. Hand pulling got old. Happy New Year to all and safe boating.

Comment

Working...
                              X