Troubleshooting diesel engine stall under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troubleshooting diesel engine stall under load

An issue came up today with the port engine. It starts and runs fine.. Cruised around at about 800-1,100 RPM for hours without any problems at about 8.5-10 knots. I decided to push it a bit and get on a plane..

First attempt.. I'm going about 8.5 knots at 900 rpm and I throttle up both port and starboard. As I reach 1,700 RPM (on both engines) the tach on the port engine drops suddenly to 1,300 and continues to fall. I quickly throttle down to check out what's going on. After a visual inspection, I don't find anything out of place.

20 minutes later I make a second attempt. I get up to speed at 1,000 rpm then begin to throttle both port and starboard up to 1,700 rpm.. Again, the port engine suddenly drops to 1,300, then 900. I cut both throttles. I see the port engine go to 400, 200, and 0. The port engine stalls completely. Starboard is fine.

Made another visual inspection, restarted the port engine, and headed back to the marina for the day (10NM at 1,100 rpm).

Here's my theory..
    I'm suspecting the port engine is getting starved of fuel at higher loads. Fuel pressure is fine at around 1,000 rpm but it's not enough when you throttle it up. As soon as fuel pressure begins to drop the engine stalls.

Bad fuel pump or bad fuel filter.

Specs..
    Twin inline-6 Hino EP100 TI Turbo diesels in an Avanti 4285

Anyone have any thoughts?

Fuel filter(s). Very typical. FWIW, I have Racor turbo primary filters and us 2 micron filters in each of them. The nice thing is, it’s a one and done. Many others will use a 30 micron at the primary and a 10 or 2 micron in the on engine filter. I change the Racor filters every spring and haven’t had a problem. When I first got the boat I went through quite a few filters because the boat had been underused for several years.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Im dealing with same issue on my diesel tractor. I'm starting with filter too.

after that I've read to remove injectors, attach them to fuel rail and hold piece of cardboard in front of them as someone cranks the engine at full throttle......should see a nice cone shaped fuel spray but dont hold hand in front of them as it is under high pressure and will inject diesel into skin.

merely repeating what I read as diesels arent in my wheel house so to speak. Keep us posted please.
      2008 H210SS Four Winns
      Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
      Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
      Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

This is why when most folks get a new-to-them boat, they go through everything, especially changing out all filters and fluids. Then there is fuel quality, belts, hoses and pumps. This establishes a baseline for maintenance, which IMO is mandatory, unless you buy from a trusted source, with documentation.
        Jeff & Tara
        (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
        "GetAway"
        Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by infy View Post
          An issue came up today with the port engine. It starts and runs fine.. Cruised around at about 800-1,100 RPM for hours without any problems at about 8.5-10 knots. I decided to push it a bit and get on a plane..

First attempt.. I'm going about 8.5 knots at 900 rpm and I throttle up both port and starboard. As I reach 1,700 RPM (on both engines) the tach on the port engine drops suddenly to 1,300 and continues to fall. I quickly throttle down to check out what's going on. After a visual inspection, I don't find anything out of place.

20 minutes later I make a second attempt. I get up to speed at 1,000 rpm then begin to throttle both port and starboard up to 1,700 rpm.. Again, the port engine suddenly drops to 1,300, then 900. I cut both throttles. I see the port engine go to 400, 200, and 0. The port engine stalls completely. Starboard is fine.

Made another visual inspection, restarted the port engine, and headed back to the marina for the day (10NM at 1,100 rpm).

Here's my theory..
          I'm suspecting the port engine is getting starved of fuel at higher loads. Fuel pressure is fine at around 1,000 rpm but it's not enough when you throttle it up. As soon as fuel pressure begins to drop the engine stalls.

Bad fuel pump or bad fuel filter.

Specs..
          Twin inline-6 Hino EP100 TI Turbo diesels in an Avanti 4285

Anyone have any thoughts?

Almost certainly fuel related.
          - Very likely filters, replace both filters on each engine and re-prime with pump on engine.
          - consider adding "cheap" vacuum gages as they are easy to use for diagnostics as well as when to replace filters
          - consider replacing your initial filters with more capable filtration
          - please read this site for more complete information:
          https://www.sbmar.com/articles/marin...-seaboard-way/

"Specs..
          Twin inline-6 Hino EP100 TI Turbo diesels in an Avanti 4285"

Your engines are likely Hino EH700 - TI's rated at 3,000 rpm under load - prop to reach rated rpm +3-5% (3030-3150)
          Update - I just read some very old Bayliner information that said there were a 'few' Hino EP100's used on test models of the 4285.
          If that is the case these are very rare in a boat and have some 'one off' parts for the marinization.
          If this larger displacement engine is in the boat all the more reason for larger capacity fuel filters as well as vacuum gages. Rated and preferred rpm for this engine will be different than a typical EH700.
          Last edited by smitty477; 01-02-2020, 07:07 AM. Reason: Edited for possible engine ID confusion....
          Northport NY

Comment

There is another "maybe"...I helped a friend with the same issue. We went thru the filters, looked for a loose fuel line and checked for a restricted air filter, etc.

FINALLY found the fuel tank air vent was plugged with a critter.

Cleared the vent and issue was resolved. Discovered this by removing the filler fuel cap while underway which allowed the tank to breathe.

David

Comment

If there ever was a classic description of a clogged fuel filter this is it. Replace the filter then prime the filter and lines using the on engine hand plunger pump. When pumping I normally crack the bleed screw atop the on engine fuel filter till I see fuel, no air, there. Several hundred strokes of the pump may be required depending on the size of the filter. You can prefill the filter to decrease the number of pump strokes but that can be awfully messy especially when rocking at sea.
            Jim Gandee
            1989 3888
            Hino 175's
            Fire Escape
            [email protected]

Comment

Yes his Avanti Has the EP series Hino engines 400 hp each....And as everyone has said it's most likely a fuel problem,filters,both primary and secondary,to bad injector.
              Brad & Sharon
              Lady Jake
              1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
              LaConner,Wa. (summer)
              2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
              kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'll start by replacing all the fuel filters both port and starboard. As soon as I identify them...

It's definitely the EP100 TI.. Clearly marked on the plates. According to an article I have, it was the standard option for the 4285. With a Caterpillar 3208 as an alternative.
                Attached Files

Comment

Studying the manual and getting my shopping list organized here.. I'll be replacing the filter labeled #7 below... And the fuel filter in the racor. Am I missing any other fuel system filters?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	556313

Comment

That chart very clearly shows the efficiency of running at hull speed and how much FF suffers to go even slightly faster than hull speed!
                    Jim Gandee
                    1989 3888
                    Hino 175's
                    Fire Escape
                    [email protected]

Comment

Infy, yes those are the two filters that I’d replace. There should not be any other filters inline unless a PO has added something. What Racors (primary) filters do you have?
                      Jim Gandee
                      1989 3888
                      Hino 175's
                      Fire Escape
                      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Gandee View Post
                        Infy, yes those are the two filters that I’d replace. There should not be any other filters inline unless a PO has added something. What Racors (primary) filters do you have?
                        I'm going to need a closer look at the Racors. I have a photo from the engine room but I can't make out the model.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200102-113245_Gallery.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	556318

Comment

Same as what I have. Put on vinyl gloves, turn the valves from the tank off, Unscrew the T bolt and take the lid off and lift out the cartridge, put a new cartridge in, change the seals in the kit, top the filter chamber off with fresh diesel and reinstall the lid and T bolt. I keep a one liter pop bottle of diesel near my filters for topping off, and a couple gallon jug for backup and sharing.
                          P/C Pete
                          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                          MMSI 367770440

Comment

Probably 900's but don't order elements until you can confirm.
                            1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                            1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                            Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Working...
                            X