Someone’s been snooping around my boat at Dagmars marina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone’s been snooping around my boat at Dagmars marina

Anybody have this problem? I went to my boat yesterday at dagmars in Everett to check on it and noticed foot prints on my outdrive.. I never stand on my drive as I fear I’m too heavy. Only thing missing is the sun cover for my kicker, which may have blown away in the wind since the tie down line for it broke awhile back. Went looking around for the cover and noticed my neighbor behind me, identical boat as mine, also had foot prints on the drive, same shoe pattern! All the rest in the immediate vicinity are outboards. Although now that I think about it my neighbors side window is shattered, but his Bimini is still fully attached.

I haven’t bothered telling dagmars as I doubt they would even care or have any constructive input. My kicker is locked to the boat, same with my dingy that’s rolled up on the floor.

Does it sound weird or am I being paranoid?

I don’t think you’re being paranoid at all. Sounds like you used your best CSI skills and determined you had a visitor. I’d definately report this to Dagmars as they may have surveillance video and/or may have received other reports of theft.
    several years ago I almost kept my boat there. Once I actually got a good, on-site look at the operation I decided to remain in Anacortes even though it was further from KSEA.
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    [email protected]

Comment

Like in most marinas, Dagmars has had thefts over the years, but I don't think it's any more than other places. I kept boat s there for 10 years and the only issue I ever had was stolen crab pots. I left them unlocked under the boat and they disappeared. After that I would run a cable lock though them and never had an issue. I also locked the tender and the tender motor.

I've always found the Dagmars staff to be first rate, and concerned about any thefts. I understand their security cams were upgraded since we last had a boat there. I would definitely talk to them immediately.
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

Dagmars is really pretty good about security. I’ve gotten the “evil eye” a few times when doing a “dock walk” and had friends when they were looking for my boat. I even had my adult kids checked out when they are not recognized. It’s okay by me.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
        MMSI 367770440
        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

File a theft report, notify marina and talk to neighbor to get him to file report also.

I don't believe in coincidence of someone entering boat and missing item....

If the police and marina dont know about a problem then hard to fault them for not addressing it.

Nothing worse than a lowdown thief!
          2008 H210SS Four Winns
          Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
          Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
          Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

I’ll wait until the main girl is there Monday and she what she has to say. My neighbor might not even know his window is broken. I sometimes worry about my stainless steel props

Comment

Her name is Melody. I guess I’d better check mine tomorrow. I need to run the furnace anyway. What row are you in?
              P/C Pete
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

Up at Squalicum in Bellingham someone was sleeping on my 32xx. I found a sleeping bag, pillow, and cigarette ashes on the floor. And my electric bill went up that month as he turned up the heater. I told the marina and they said they had other complaints of vagrants. They stepped up security and made sure the charter company didn’t keep the gate to the docks propped open anymore.
                Didn't touch any of my booze.
                Esteban
                Huntington Beach, California
                Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952
                Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
                  Her name is Melody. I guess I’d better check mine tomorrow. I need to run the furnace anyway. What row are you in?
                  E

Comment

Hmmm

I have an active intruder detection system on my boat.

Step into the cockpit and all hell will break loose. Sirens, lights, and I’ll be notified. Plus it’s all recorded by the cameras.

KEVIN SANDERS
                    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

I’d like camera but there is no internet at this place. I’d have to get something that ran off cellular and that sounds expensive

Comment

• RPrather
                        RPrather commented
                        Editing a comment
                        About $15.00 for 1500 pictures a month for a Bushnell wireless trail cam. I have one on my boat all summer mounted on the radar mast it sends me a picture within a minute, it also has a gps that records its location in case someone decides to snatch it. It uses cell phone service so no internet is needed.

Originally posted by green650 View Post
                      Up at Squalicum in Bellingham someone was sleeping on my 32xx. I found a sleeping bag, pillow, and cigarette ashes on the floor. And my electric bill went up that month as he turned up the heater. I told the marina and they said they had other complaints of vagrants. They stepped up security and made sure the charter company didn’t keep the gate to the docks propped open anymore.
                      Didn't touch any of my booze.
                      Something similar happened on a number of boats at the south covered docks at Everett Marina a few years ago. People were living in boats whose owners were snowbirds. They weren't typical vagrants. They dressed a bit better and acted like they owned the boats. There were a number of them sleeping in various boats.
                      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                      Anacortes, WA

Comment

I have to ask....why would you not notify the local law enforcement agency of jurisdiction?

Folks....I'm a peace officer and we want to be notified! It helps us know what, when and where to look. While your incident may not seem major, it could be tied in with other more serious incidents.

Yes, tell the marina but never hesitate to report to law enforcement.....that's what we are paid for.....its their/our job to get marina video and other info.

If theres many such incidents like this we may ask permission to sit up in your boat or at your slip....or....place some remote cameras.

You pay for this.....really, this is like hunting and catching these folks is what the job is about.
                        2008 H210SS Four Winns
                        Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
                        Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
                        Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

• TX H210 SS
                          TX H210 SS commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Also....the longer you wait the worse it is. Some video systems only hold data for short periods of time.

Again...theres nothin worse than a lowdown thief!

Originally posted by TX H210 SS View Post
                        I have to ask....why would you not notify the local law enforcement agency of jurisdiction?

Folks....I'm a peace officer and we want to be notified! It helps us know what, when and where to look. While your incident may not seem major, it could be tied in with other more serious incidents.

Yes, tell the marina but never hesitate to report to law enforcement.....that's what we are paid for.....its their/our job to get marina video and other info.

If theres many such incidents like this we may ask permission to sit up in your boat or at your slip....or....place some remote cameras.

You pay for this.....really, this is like hunting and catching these folks is what the job is about.
                        Unfortunately the police in this part of the state are too busy administering narcan all shift to do much of anything else.

Comment

TX, thank you for being in law enforcement. Unfortunately, the jurisdiction is overwhelmed with drug enforcement and all that goes with it, and has been grossly underfunded for decades. If it’s a property crime and unless the thief is there at the time of the call the instructions are to fill out a form online. My oldest son had a continuous problem and his best temporary solution was to scatter a few spent shells around. He finally solved it by moving to another city. It’s sad,
                          About the only thing that can be done is to get an alarm that can be able or disabled by cellphone. One of the features at Dagmars is you can call ahead or prearrange the launching of your boat. Something like a car alarm would go making noise as soon as the boat is lifted.
                          P/C Pete
                          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                          MMSI 367770440

Comment

• TX H210 SS
                            TX H210 SS commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sounds like some changes need to be made....here, every crime reported is assigned to a detective and reviewed to verify something was done. That's how patterns are identified.

May need more resources there, but we have an entire unit devoted to burglaries and thefts.

Hope the issue gets resolved because it will not improve by itself.
                        Working...
                        X