Our season is over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our season is over.

Our short 90 to 100 day season here in the cold North is over. Boat is hauled and it heated storage. It was not the best of seasons. It was very wind, strong wind windy. But any day on the boat is a good day so no real complaints. Had some interesting things happen tho.
    There is a swing bridge in Little Current, Ontario where we boat. The bridge says it opens for 15 minutes on the hour for boats. Not really so. It takes 4 minutes for it to open. It closes as soon as the last boat passes or starts to close at 11 minutes after the hour.
    I tow a 16'5 Sea Nymph with a 90hp Evinrude. I do not like to go around in a circle so I time the bridge. I start 12 miles or so out. I set the bridge as the waypoint on my plotter. Adjust my speed so I get there at 4 minutes after the hour. When the bridge opens, I am there. I adjust speed as necessary.
    So I am approaching the bridge being pushed by a strong current. I am right on time. Another boat is on my starboard perhaps doing the same thing. Another boat is starboard of him but closer to the bridge. He turns in front of both of us and I think he is going to pass on my port side and go behind.
    Uh oh, he is turning right in front of me. Then he stopped right in my path. I get on the hailer and ask him to move. Tell him I cannot stop or reverse. He stays. I have to hit reverse. The tow rope gets in the prop. Towed boat takes a big lunge up my swim platform, scrapes some hide off the corner of my boat. The boat is now loose heading for the bridge and is passed me. I catch up. In the meantime my wife gets off the bridge and when I caught it she hooked it with a boat hook. I rush down, grab it and hook up a second tow line I always have ready. With snaps its quick and I am back on the bridge getting off track to the bridge center posts. The guy is now in my way again. The other boat is along side so I can't go starboard to go around him. The bridge is port so I can't go there. Now I am a bit pissed. I get on the hailer. You ahole, I broke a tow line because of you, get out of my way. He doesn't move. Get the f out of my way. I made up my mind if anything else happened he was going to be involved. I was out of towlines. He didn't move. The bridge is open go through it I say. Oh duh, he raises his hand with a wave and goes through. I followed. He got out of the no wake zone and got on plane. He went right for a long way. He then turned left and went the other way so far I thought he was going to get in trouble with shallow water. (well OK I kinda hoped he would at that point). He then turned right again and went out of sight.
    I was lucky. I lost some equipment. I have a large rubber thingy that takes the shock out of the tow rope. I should say I had one. There was still a piece of rope around my prop shaft when they hauled the boat. It didn't caused any problems however.
    I think the guy just panicked and froze. I should have told him to go behind me and circle behind and he may have done it.
    My wife always waves to the bridge guy when we go by. She did this time and he waved back and gave her a thumbs up.

Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

The Good....admiral was ready and snagged the drag boat. Imagine if she wasnt there and able to help.

The Bad....who in the hell would turn portside and stop directly in front of two moving boats. What a hump....ignorance or incompetence doesnt matter. Some people are just sucking up good oxygen.

I was trolling on our fishing rig.....clearly trolling about 30 yards from shoreline and way out of the way of boat traffic. Some Yahoo in a yellow Tahoe decides to circle us and snags my line.....had to dive across stern to grab my rod as he peeled off all the line never stopped.

Always hoped that line sucked up his prop shaft seal and trashed his drive.
    2008 H210SS Four Winns
    Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
    Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
    Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

Sorry about the mishap.
      As usual Doug, you are always a good story teller, and I always enjoy reading them!
      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

The Good....admiral was ready and snagged the drag boat. Imagine if she wasnt there and able to help.

Haha. At 82 she isn't moving as fast as she once did. She was down that ladder so quick and she says she doesn't remember going down. Well at 83 I am not moving as quick as I used to either. I would guess it was less than a minute down the ladder, hook up another tow line and back up the ladder to the helm. I don't remember any aches and pains when I went down the ladder either. It was closer to a disaster than I care to think about. There are two channels past that bridge. I was drifting toward the center structure of the bridge and I don't know how much water is there. Its good to know you can kick it up a notch when you have to. Over the 56 years I have boated that area I have been past that bridge 100's of times. This is the first mishap.
        Started boating 1955
        Number of boats owned 32
        Bayliners
        3870 presently owned

Comment

Originally posted by dmcb View Post
          ..... Well at 83 I am not moving as quick as I used to either..................

Click image for larger version  Name:	Doug  McBurney.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.9 KB ID:	537323

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Happy to hear you both are safely back in port and on the hard. Hope to see you soon, let us know...
            P.S. Changed out your 30 amp to a 50 amp. Tested it with my new motorhome, it works fine...
            Jeff & Tara
            (And Ginger too)
            Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
            "GetAway"
            Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Planning a trip West Jeff. May take you up on that 50 amp service. Will let you know.
              Started boating 1955
              Number of boats owned 32
              Bayliners
              3870 presently owned

Comment

Working...
              X