Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one. https://www.fredwarner1.net/product/...CABEgIdH_D_BwE

Comment

Looks like a direct replacement for a TB type distributor but you’ll also need the ignition module, coil and wiring harnesses etc.
      I see complete kits that offer everything and are a direct replacement ranging in price 400 is on the low end.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I see, well that sux then... good thing I got this boat for cheap I suppose...

Comment

Regarding the distributor I would get a Mallory marine unit that is all in one, I.e. the ignition module is built in, these come as a kit with coil and wires for a reasonable price. Trying to replace all the Mercruiser ignition will be costly.
          1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
            Regarding the distributor I would get a Mallory marine unit that is all in one, I.e. the ignition module is built in, these come as a kit with coil and wires for a reasonable price. Trying to replace all the Mercruiser ignition will be costly.

Talking about this one? https://aaamarine.com/marine-electro...-omc-chev-more

So this is all I would need, right?

Comment

This looks to be the Sierra replacement for the TB 5. I cant find if it includes a module though, maybe have to call them.
              https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rra-18-5514/
              There’s also this one.
              https://www.marinepartssource.com/de...SABEgJHdfD_BwE
              FYI I have no personal experience with either of these units.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              Misc. projects thread

Comment

After having seen nearly 40 posts regarding a slave solenoid, I had to look in at this thread.

That’s an automotive distributor with vacuum advance which doesn’t have the proper advance curve for marine applications and is not ignition protected. Being the solenoid is not correct either you should review all electrical to make sure you are ignition protected for safety reasons.
                Mike is correct..... that automotive ignition system will not only offer an incorrect advance curve, it will not be "ignition source protected"!
                It could also land you a citation!
                I tell you..... a previous owner can sure mess things up when they start doing their own service and repair work in order to save a dollar!

I have circled a few areas that I would be concerned with:

..... what's with the 2 wires at the temperature gauge sender? Typically, the main harness joins these in parallel for a dual station boat.
                .... the fuel line connection at the steel line is an un-approved connection.
                .... I would question the fuel pressure gauge connection!
                .... I am curious as to why the fuel line is coming up and in to the carburetor from AFT of the engine!

.... you also have the Morse 33C cables and the 33C-to-Merc adapters. Look closely at these adapters for any signs of age related cracking!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Johnp 454.jpg Views:	0 Size:	374.7 KB ID:	537311

By the way and in my opinion........ if you found the need to replaced the risers, you should also replace the Elbows.

As for an ignition system, as said if you go back with the Merc EST (electronic spark timing), you will also need the OEM module and harness.
                There are other good options!

I would bet that these two EST systems are the same and are just being marketed differently.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Originally posted by johnp548 View Post

Yes this would work and be all that's needed. Either of the ones Dave have links to in post #36 would work as well.
                  1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by John

Yes this would work and be all that's needed. Either of the ones Dave have links to in post #36 would work as well.
                    I see an interesting notation in the ad.

"Vacuum advance is locked internally, and centrifugal advance is suited for marine usage."

and it goes on to say:

"........ AAA MARINE PARTS WHOLESALE & Pertronix."

For me, the question now becomes.... which triggering system does that one incorporate?
                    Is it Photo-eye, VR or the cheezy Pertronix Hall Effect?

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

• builderdude
                      builderdude commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes the vacuum advance being locked with the centrifugal advance struck me as odd. A retrofitted automotive distributor with mechanical advance maybe😳

• Nauti_Mike
                      Nauti_Mike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I missed that. I would steer away then but there are other options.

Just saw another item in the pic Rick posted. The flame arrestor doesn't seem to be secured on. Perhaps John P (OP) just has it sitting on for the picture, but if there isn't a post in the carb and nut to hold it tight it would be another safety concern and inspection failure. John P - you certainly have some work ahead of you on this one. But the PROs here (not me) will help you make thing right. Reminds me of my first boat with an I/O.
                    1998 BL Ciera 2655 Sunbridge LX (Special Edition)
                    "Sea Flights"
                    5.7L 2bbl w/Thunderbolt Ignition and raw water cooling
                    A​​​​​​lpha I Gen II Sterndrive/1.45:1 gears
                    M15.25 X 15P Black Max prop
                    MFG Extra's - A/C, Fresh Water Engine Flush port, HWH and Windlass
                    Docks @ Punta Gorda, Florida

Comment

Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post
                      After having seen nearly 40 posts regarding a slave solenoid, I had to look in at this thread.
                      Was wondering what took you so long
                      Dave
                      Edmonds, WA
                      "THE FIX"
                      Misc. projects thread

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post

Was wondering what took you so long
                        Dave, I have no good explanation for that!
                        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Originally posted by pgiconch View Post
                          Just saw another item in the pic Rick posted. The flame arrestor doesn't seem to be secured on. Perhaps John P (OP) just has it sitting on for the picture, but if there isn't a post in the carb and nut to hold it tight it would be another safety concern and inspection failure. John P - you certainly have some work ahead of you on this one. But the PROs here (not me) will help you make thing right. Reminds me of my first boat with an I/O.
                          Ya. Its to the side do.i could get a good pic of everything

Comment

Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post

Mike is correct..... that automotive ignition system will not only offer an incorrect advance curve, it will not be "ignition source protected"!
                            It could also land you a citation!
                            I tell you..... a previous owner can sure mess things up when they start doing their own service and repair work in order to save a dollar!

I have circled a few areas that I would be concerned with:

..... what's with the 2 wires at the temperature gauge sender? Typically, the main harness joins these in parallel for a dual station boat.
                            .... the fuel line connection at the steel line is an un-approved connection.
                            .... I would question the fuel pressure gauge connection!
                            .... I am curious as to why the fuel line is coming up and in to the carburetor from AFT of the engine!

.... you also have the Morse 33C cables and the 33C-to-Merc adapters. Look closely at these adapters for any signs of age related cracking!

Click image for larger version Name:	Johnp 454.jpg Views:	0 Size:	374.7 KB ID:	537311

By the way and in my opinion........ if you found the need to replaced the risers, you should also replace the Elbows.

As for an ignition system, as said if you go back with the Merc EST (electronic spark timing), you will also need the OEM module and harness.
                            There are other good options!

I would bet that these two EST systems are the same and are just being marketed differently.

Thank you for the insight! Will check on all those. My plan is to replace the controls and cables anyways. Plan on putting the morse ones on.

Comment

Just curious, what makes a solenoid "marine"? Potential for arcing?
                              Glen Sherwood
                              1987 3270 twin 305’s
                              Coupeville, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X