Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loose the "boat yard" or marine dealer parts dept and save money.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loose the "boat yard" or marine dealer parts dept and save money.

First let me say this. Being of a technical background, I have the ability to determine if something non-marine store will work without sacrificing safety...

I installed a "city water" inlet with all the accessory parts required to have it work correctly.

Start with the inlet assembly. This has the "marina" hose connector, a about 40 PSI regulator, and a anti reverse (anti siphon to non boaters) in it. This was about $65 at the local marine store. Same make and model at a RV store: $29.
    Hoses: at marine store $3/ foot. At ACE hardware, again same manufacturer $1/ft.
    Stainless hose Clamps: AT Marine store: $4 each. (Size for 1/2 to 7/8 plastic hose) AT Home depot: 10 for $6 (Yes I tested using a magnet)
    Anti reverse valve. This goes in the hose coming from the water pump to the rest of the system. Its job is when you are using marina water, it prevents it from flowing thru the pump into the on-board water tank and overfilling, not to mention possible pump unit damage from reverse flow. I bought one at marine store , $30, made from "heavy duty plastic". It blew apart. I returned it. I found that at Home depot, they sell an anti-reverse
    valve made from BRASS. It had 1/2 pupe hread on the intake and output, so I bought BRASS 1/2 pipe to 1/2 hose fittings. The valve was $11, and the fittings about $3 each. Works fine.

So what else can we use and save w/o endangering us?
    Serpentine belts for the engine. Merc: $$$way too much. The lady clerk at three guys auto supply used a belt measuring thingy on the factory belt and came out with a belt whioch had almost all the same numbers on it. $30
    Some of the stuff at the marine store is carryed at Campers world or simular businesses. I have gotten kitchen (galley) ware there. Upholstery and curtains atre aklso available there. The campers are now using the 30 amp twistlocks just like the boats are. (5L30 I think is the number.) Shore power cord are cheaper. (And made by the same companies)
    "o" rings, such as the ones used on the water, fuel and pumpout deck fittings. $11 at marine store. 75 cents at True Value hardware.
    "whale hose" for watre systems. This is the red and blue hose which is he water system in cruisers. Howm depot, and Lowes carries most of teh fitings and hoses, at 1/3 the marine stor price, and moreover, the home stores had a better selection and bigger stock....

Things we don't screw with trying to save a buck or 2. I am a very safety concious person. As well as being a licensed master, I was a safety guy for 10 years at two jobs.
    ANYTHING certified by the Coast Guard or govt for marine usage:
    starters, alternators, carburators (Yes, my boat has one), flame arrestors (air cleaners), fuel hose (Must use USCG rated "A" hoses), anything which can reside in the engine room/bilge. Battery chargers, inverters, etc they are rated as spark supressed. NON CG approved life jackets. Not only illegal to have aboard, buy just how much is your life worth to save a few $$?

Captharv 2001 2452
    "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Good post.
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Been There, Doing That!
      Don
      1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
      1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
      1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
      10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
      1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
      "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

Great post! I will add that on the electrical stuff such as starters and alternators.....there's always the cheaper option of have a local rebuild shop refurbish them....my experience has been half the cost my shop guarantees the antispark integrity of their rebuild..... plus you retain OEM casings.

2008 H210SS Four Winns
        Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
        Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
        Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

Originally posted by TX H210 SS View Post
          Great post! I will add that on the electrical stuff such as starters and alternators.....there's always the cheaper option of have a local rebuild shop refurbish them....my experience has been half the cost my shop guarantees the antispark integrity of their rebuild..... plus you retain OEM casings.
          I agree to that. "new?" "marine electricals are outrageously priced. Years ago, Ford starters had a air vent near the brushes. To make it marine, they put an asbestos cloth over the vent and a metal clamp to keep it there. Maybe $.50 worth of parts, but because its used on a boat, the price doubled +.

A good rebuilding shop will retain the spark arresting add-ons. More so they can test the starters and alternators before and after, thus giving one confidence that it will work when put in, and you are sure it will fit.
          Another thing: They can also rebuild/repair-- Macerator motors, power trip pump motors, and other DC motors. I have had my macerator motor rebuilt and it is like new.
          Captharv 2001 2452

Comment

Good points. Don’t take it too far like me. I started using eBay parts for the engine like fuel pumps. Crap failed within three months. For engine stuff always buy Mercruiser.

also whale hoses and connectors cannot be purchased at Home Depot or Lowe’s only their competitor fitting which is t interchangeable.

I use the RV store Camper World for most of the boat pumps and drains and other items

Comment

Originally posted by toy4two View Post
              Good points. Don’t take it too far like me. I started using eBay parts for the engine like fuel pumps. Crap failed within three months. For engine stuff always buy Mercruiser.

also whale hoses and connectors cannot be purchased at Home Depot or Lowe’s only their competitor fitting which is t interchangeable.

I use the RV store Camper World for most of the boat pumps and drains and other items
              I agree somewhat. I fought with a whale hose fitting set under the sink that leaked. Put on new fittings from Home deposit. still leaked. Went to West marine and paid 3 times for the fittings, still leaked. A friend told me that when working with whale hose, do not reuse the hose as it sits. What happens is after years of sitting in the fitting, the "O" ring created a depression in the hose itself. When removed and reset (even in the same fitting) The oring and depression never seal the same. The trick is to cut the hose off at the o rung depression and re-insert. The will allow the ring to seat on virgin hose and it stopped leaking. Even with home deposit fittings.

Maybe I am old school, but I prefer a hose barb, good quality REAL hose, and a hose clamp. If it leaks, tighten it some more. and, at Home deposit and ace hardware, you can buy fittings to convert the whole system or one part back to real hoses. Try to find a while fitting to fit a "house type" water filter.

As far as fuel pumps, the one I got thru Amazon from an aftermarket fit right, and works fine, and looks like the original, which is now an on board spare.
              Captharv 2001 2452

Comment

Don't forget that a Mercruiser V8 is just a Chevy V8, with a just few modifications.
                1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

Working...
                X