• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SomeSailor
    replied
    Fish-a-Palooza wrote:
    What's your draft on the new boat?
    Not really much worse than the 2859 (a bit over 4') but the props and shafts are much more expensive and I'm down at Everett now so it's not really worth it now.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    SomeSailor wrote:
    And if you whack a log in a 28 footer, it's just a limp home and a haul out. A haul out on our boat now is a $500 bill. I've made my last trip through the cut.
    What's your draft on the new boat?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    PugetMike wrote:
    I can really understand PNW boaters being worried about shallow water. Before I moved here I often operated in shallow/dynamic water (mostly rivers) and had my share of prop shining and bending experiences. Since I have moved here I have gotten very used to having 2-300' of water under me nearly everywhere except close to shore. I now find myself getting concerned in less than 30' !!

I also considered moving to Everett, but I also would be hard pressed to find a good reason (besides the damn train bridge) to leave Dagmars.

I heard a story about not dredging the shortcut - I am not sure it is true, they said it keeps the main channel from silting in. POE needs the waterflow to help scour the bottom. I seem to remember hearing this story from Melody.
    I have been surprised a few times by how shallow the water was where I would have normally considered to be well away from shore.

Leave a comment:

• SomeSailor
    replied
    And if you whack a log in a 28 footer, it's just a limp home and a haul out. A haul out on our boat now is a $500 bill. I've made my last trip through the cut.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hey guys, don't get me wrong here - if anybody doesn't feel comfortable taking the short cut, well, I am on your side - you shouldn't. I certainly don't think any less of anyone who avoids it and I don't consider myself braver for doing it. Sorry if it sounded any other way.

I have a 2859 and have a 3' draft at idle - a bit less on plane. My boat is fairly nimble in this narrowish area. I would think twice about it with anything larger than a 34 myself.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    PugetMike wrote:
    Stuck-in-the-mud logs dont worry me nearly as much as the free range ones. I understand that you feel it is an unwarranted risk, but I do this all the time and to me it just a matter of keeping watch. I may one day hit a log in the shortcut, but I have already hit a submerged log off of Mukelteo (I got lucky and it was punky so I blew it apart). Boating in puget sound carries log risk no matter where you are.

To each his own I guess!
    You got that right. This is log-city! LOL

I've trimmed a few trees myself, luckyily nothing big or damaging.

Leave a comment:

• jmcannonball
    replied
    Here's my $0.02:

In my 38 Bay, the time and cost to follow the river to the Everett breakwater entrance is about 20 minutes and less than $5 in fuel.

On the other hand, the time and cost of make even a itty bitty teeny weeny minor navigation error taing the short cut could be hours/days/$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

For me, it's a no-brainer.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    leedub wrote:
    It sounds like the scary part isn't the depth as long as you have enough tide under you... it's the logs. As tempting as it is to cut time and gas, I just don't think it's a reasonable risk.
    Stuck-in-the-mud logs dont worry me nearly as much as the free range ones. I understand that you feel it is an unwarranted risk, but I do this all the time and to me it just a matter of keeping watch. I may one day hit a log in the shortcut, but I have already hit a submerged log off of Mukelteo (I got lucky and it was punky so I blew it apart). Boating in puget sound carries log risk no matter where you are.

To each his own I guess!

Leave a comment:

• Kimosammy
    replied
    This is crazy talk...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It sounds like the scary part isn't the depth as long as you have enough tide under you... it's the logs. As tempting as it is to cut time and gas, I just don't think it's a reasonable risk.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Fish-a-Palooza wrote:
    I understand that on plane youÔÇÖre out of the water more, but to me it sounds more like a hope and a prayer than the best way to get through! That is a narrow channel to navigate and if you make a mistake while on plane you have no time to recover, but to each his own.:arr .

I do agree with the route you mapped out and I use it every time. Most I/O boats draft at about 3 1/2 feet so I'll take mine through with a 5 ft depth but never with any speed.

I believe years back they dredged that channel to find out it almost immediately filled back in.

I have considered going to the Everett Marina just to avoid that extra 1/2 hour each way plus the occasional wait for the train bridge but I really like having my boat on the hard and being able to work on it at will. Plus Dagmars is really just a great place to be with regards to the service they provide.
    I can really understand PNW boaters being worried about shallow water. Before I moved here I often operated in shallow/dynamic water (mostly rivers) and had my share of prop shining and bending experiences. Since I have moved here I have gotten very used to having 2-300' of water under me nearly everywhere except close to shore. I now find myself getting concerned in less than 30' !!

I also considered moving to Everett, but I also would be hard pressed to find a good reason (besides the damn train bridge) to leave Dagmars.

I heard a story about not dredging the shortcut - I am not sure it is true, they said it keeps the main channel from silting in. POE needs the waterflow to help scour the bottom. I seem to remember hearing this story from Melody.

Leave a comment:

• SomeSailor
    replied
    PugetMike wrote:
    Does anybody know if my fancy-doo-dad Garmin 740s records depth when it records routing info ? You would think that it would since it is all integrated.
    If you're in fish eye mode and drop waypoints they'll have depth in them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I understand that on plane you're out of the water more, but to me it sounds more like a hope and a prayer than the best way to get through! That is a narrow channel to navigate and if you make a mistake while on plane you have no time to recover, but to each his own.:arr .

I do agree with the route you mapped out and I use it every time. Most I/O boats draft at about 3 1/2 feet so I'll take mine through with a 5 ft depth but never with any speed.

I believe years back they dredged that channel to find out it almost immediately filled back in.

I have considered going to the Everett Marina just to avoid that extra 1/2 hour each way plus the occasional wait for the train bridge but I really like having my boat on the hard and being able to work on it at will. Plus Dagmars is really just a great place to be with regards to the service they provide.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Went that way once with the yacht club. Hit sonething Will not do it again

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Nimh wrote:
    Count me in as another. I've yet to do it, but the time savings would be great. Once I have the GPS breadcrumb trail, it would be cake.
    I make a new GPSroute every spring, stuff moves around a bit when the melt water hits and the logjams upstream are cleared. My GPS is only accurate to around 3 yards - plenty of room to make a mistake in this narrow area. There really is no substitute for paying attention every time, stuff moves. By going thru a few times you get a feel for where the logs are and it becomes mostly a matter of looking for them where you expect them to be. It makes me nervous when I cant see a log that I know is there somewhere.

Does anybody know if my fancy-doo-dad Garmin 740s records depth when it records routing info ? You would think that it would since it is all integrated.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X