Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who take the shortcut out of Everett-gctid350604

If you take the shortcut, this is what you are facing. Map

I make it quite easily on a 7' or more tide. I usually have at least 4' under the keel.

It sure does cut a lot of time if your heading North.:arr but I still go through slow!

Comment

I used to run that all the time, but only on a +6 flood tide. There are a couple of deadheads just north of Jetty Island you wanna pay attention to though.
      Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

How close to the jetty are those deadheads? Anything else to watch out for?

Comment

leedub wrote:
          How close to the jetty are those deadheads? Anything else to watch out for?
          If you look at the image closely you can see where the logs are. There are a few that are very close to jetty island, and 2 that are out a ways.

I used to mark the logs but since POE does not hand out the little spiked markers any more I havent done it in a while. Most of the logs you see are sitting on the bottom, only a few actually break water.

http://"http://maps.google.com/maps/...s is the route that I normally take - the shallowest point is over the big sandbar just before you break into deeper water. I showed the logs that I look out for in this map.

I see a lot of people with smaller boats take the south fork, but if you do that you have to take a hard northerly turn once you are past the sandbar to get into the channel.

I have made this run on a 6' tide but it was a white-knuckler because you cannot come off plane - I only do it on 7' or more.

Comment

Personally I don't see the benefit. Sure it's a little more time if you're heading north, but at the risk of snagging one of the outdrives and the $$$$ that will cost I'll just go around.

Would be nice if someone would dredge that a little deeper though.

Comment

cowboyshootist wrote:
              Personally I don't see the benefit. Sure it's a little more time if you're heading north, but at the risk of snagging one of the outdrives and the $$$$ that will cost I'll just go around.

Would be nice if someone would dredge that a little deeper though.
              I cant speak for everyone, but I can say that for myself, I use it both northbound and southbound, it is around 1/2 hour faster going south, and 40 minutes faster going north.

The other big benefit is avoiding the Navy seawall and the horrendous confused seas at the Everett channel entrance. I never take a pounding going through the shortcut.

I keep my boat at Dagmars - if you are in Everett marina it probably does not matter nearly as much.

I dont agree about the outdrive $$ worry - it is a sandbar, you just have to keep a watch out like you do anywhere else.

I agree that it would be nice to dredge a clear channel.

Comment

I have been tempted many times to try it but I just have not gotten up the nerve yet. I draw at least three feet and I am not sure if it is worth the risk.

Comment

PugetMike wrote:
                  I cant speak for everyone, but I can say that for myself, I use it both northbound and southbound, it is around 1/2 hour faster going south, and 40 minutes faster going north.

The other big benefit is avoiding the Navy seawall and the horrendous confused seas at the Everett channel entrance. I never take a pounding going through the shortcut.

I keep my boat at Dagmars - if you are in Everett marina it probably does not matter nearly as much.

I dont agree about the outdrive $$ worry - it is a sandbar, you just have to keep a watch out like you do anywhere else.

I agree that it would be nice to dredge a clear channel.
                  Well to each his own I guess. My buddy grounded his 27 footer up near Kennmore inthe mud a couple of years ago and wound up bending his drive shaft in the outdrive. Didn't find it until the beginning of the next season and spent most of the season fighting with his insurance company on who would cover the damage (they claimed a manufacturing defect even after they paid off on a claim from the same incident). I'd rather avoid those kinds of problems.

Maybe I'll follow you through one day....

Comment

I went thru it a few times with our 2700 scr....it was a high tide and we saw 6' the entire way out....howeve....you better be on plane and definitely don't get out of the channel.....I was white knuckled the entire trip.......

so....if high tide...maybe worth the effort....but not anything below it.....

:arr arr

Comment

I have docked the boat at the jetty island docks before on a weekend with a low tide and have walked to the north end of the jetty to get a good idead of where the dead heads are and the sand bars. Also have taken the dinghy to the north end as well on a lower tide to invesigate the area and get an idea of where the channel is. And the last option is to overlook the channel from the lookout point at legion park. 6+ tide will be fine as long as you stay in the middle part of the channel.

Comment

cowboyshootist wrote:
                        Well to each his own I guess. My buddy grounded his 27 footer up near Kennmore inthe mud a couple of years ago and wound up bending his drive shaft in the outdrive. Didn't find it until the beginning of the next season and spent most of the season fighting with his insurance company on who would cover the damage (they claimed a manufacturing defect even after they paid off on a claim from the same incident). I'd rather avoid those kinds of problems.

Maybe I'll follow you through one day....
                        You would be welcome to come along. Like I said, I am careful about when I do it. If Everett is not showing at least a 7+ tide I *usually* take the long way, I have risked a 6' but didnt like the depth readings!

Comment

cowboyshootist wrote:
                          Maybe I'll follow you through one day.
                          Count me in as another. I've yet to do it, but the time savings would be great. Once I have the GPS breadcrumb trail, it would be cake.

Comment

between the draw bridge and the "short cut" is some of my favorite jetski turf. there are some nasty stationary logs that rise and lower with the tide that make me nervous at high tide, because they tend to disaper at high tide.

Beau

Comment

Nimh wrote:
                              Count me in as another. I've yet to do it, but the time savings would be great. Once I have the GPS breadcrumb trail, it would be cake.
                              I make a new GPSroute every spring, stuff moves around a bit when the melt water hits and the logjams upstream are cleared. My GPS is only accurate to around 3 yards - plenty of room to make a mistake in this narrow area. There really is no substitute for paying attention every time, stuff moves. By going thru a few times you get a feel for where the logs are and it becomes mostly a matter of looking for them where you expect them to be. It makes me nervous when I cant see a log that I know is there somewhere.

Does anybody know if my fancy-doo-dad Garmin 740s records depth when it records routing info ? You would think that it would since it is all integrated.

Comment

Working...
                              X