Question for AC, Help-gctid350524

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for AC, Help-gctid350524

guys , ready to pull trigger on a 10,000 btu unit for my boat, only thing is they are listing it as 120v instead of 115v. Please excuse my lack of knowledge but most units i have seen are either 115v ot 220v . What is with the 120v? Will ineed to supply some sort of extra power ? additional shorepower hook up to boat?? again excuse the ignorance . help

You will be fine,115 is a nominal figure. Voltage is anywhere from 110v to 120v. http://www.quick220.com/220_about_voltages.htm
    Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

THANK YOU! MS, now im gona figure out how to remove this thread , kind of embarrassing.......

Comment

Make sure you measure the inside of niche in aft cabin to make sure a 10K btu will fit. My 6500 just about fit.
        Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

Comment

Scraping B wrote:
          THANK YOU! MS, now im gona figure out how to remove this thread , kind of embarrassing.......
          No need to be embarrassed. I can guarantee there are others wondering the same thing.
          Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
          1998 3055 Ciera
          (yes, a 1998)
          Previous boat: 1993 3055
          Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
          Sea Doo XP
          Sea Doo GTI SE
          Life is short. Boats are cool.
          The family that plays together stays together.
          Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

definitley, measure twice buy once!! Thanks again for all the support fellas.

Comment

Just means you gotta buy the beer, that's all...
              Jeff & Tara
              (And Ginger too)
              Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
              "GetAway"
              Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Scraping B wrote:
                definitley, measure twice buy once!! Thanks again for all the support fellas.
                Good!
                Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

Comment

Scraping B wrote:
                  guys , ready to pull trigger on a 10,000 btu unit for my boat, only thing is they are listing it as 120v instead of 115v. Please excuse my lack of knowledge but most units i have seen are either 115v ot 220v . What is with the 120v?
                  You are good on the voltage, but installation in that boat is a bear and must be done correctly or you get a little condensate problem. 10,000btu is VERY adequate for the boat. Your issue is mounting. Most of these units are mounted under the sink in the head. VERY tight and the vent is mounted just above the fridge. Again VERY tight. The unit must be mounted on a platform above the deck to be above the water line for condensate drainage or you have to install a veturi to get rid of condensate. Being that hidden, building a small platform is better. The vent should be a multi directional regtangular unit so you can cool the entire cabin. RETURN Air should be installed in the removalble panel on the backside of the head. That way you get the proper circulation and avoid freeze ups from no air flow. The control go above the unit and are right by the companionway.

If you have a vinyl cover on the back of the head, you will have to have a solid piece made with the return air and filter for that space. Very easy.

Some folks install in a cabinet but under the head sink gets it all out of the way with less ducting.
                  David
                  http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
                  http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

Just a few days ago on the Boat US forums I answered a question from someone who said that their new marina had no 30a power, just 110 volt. So there are people who understand less about electricity.

Comment

Scraping B wrote:
                      No need to remove, I know I've asked some "stupid" questions, and searched for them as well. This will likely answer many BOC members for years to come! haha, maybe that's not what you want?

10,000 BTUs should keep your boat frigid! I know our unit keeps things down below nice and cool and I believe its 6000.

Comment

I had a 6500 btu unit in my 2855 which was rather marginal. Midnight Sun came with a 12,000 btu unit which I upgraded to a 16,000 and works just right. Personally I would rather have too big than borderline. If the 10,000 fits, go for it.
                        Cheers, Hans
                        2007 Carver 41 CMY
                        Twin Volvo D6-370
                        Montreal, Canada
                        Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

totally what i was thinking guys, go big or go home! Actually the 10,000 btu was a winter sale the 6500 btu was actually more for this time of year. So we are excited for a cool cabin this summer. Normally we will get to the boat and open up the canvas and crack open an oven (the cabin) . the kids enter and immediatley start to complain whine and ruin the start of a great boating weekend, meanwhile im wrestling a hatch air conditioner onto the bow asap to keep tempers at a standstiil . Only to have to wrestle it off an hour or two later when we take off for the beach. Guess what i get to do when we get back from the beach. This will be the greatest upgrade yet!!

Comment

Working...
                          X