what do i have, need some help-gctid350439

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what do i have, need some help-gctid350439

not sure where to start, dont know whay its so hard to find out about a boat. no one seems to have tims. so i can here. if anyone can help. i bought a 30' 1984 ceira bay liner a few years back. as a fixer upper. things are coming a long good. when i bought this boat the lower unit was bad. so i got something that could get me in the water quick. i am now wanting to get back to what was there when this boat was new. can anyone tell me OR how do i tell if this boat had power trim for the outdrive. i had originally thought there was, because, of a gauge in the dash... ( i am new at this ). now i am unsure. if i buy a out drive with power trim the i would have to buy everything from the prop to motor, trasom plate, gimbal, etc, as what i have is outdated. if this boat did not have power trim then that would make it a lot easer and cheaper. i have called 3 different bay liner co and cant get through or they dont call back. if it helps i have the id # from the hull? if anyone here can help, thanks much

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/653277=24611-trim picture.jpg[/img]

Welcome to BOC.

I don't think Volvo had power trim in 1984. It would help if you could post a picture of your boat. We can help you identify it. I suspect a Contessa but that is just a guess.

Also please fill in your profile. You don't need to give anything personal but your location is helpful to answer questions. It tells us if you boat in salt water, if you are in cold weather country which helps us answer your questions.

But a picture would help us help you.

Doug
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

If you contact Bayliner customer service and give them your HIN they can tell you what was OEM on your boat.
      Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
      1998 3055 Ciera
      (yes, a 1998)
      Previous boat: 1993 3055
      Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
      Sea Doo XP
      Sea Doo GTI SE
      Life is short. Boats are cool.
      The family that plays together stays together.
      Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Post pics of the boat and the transom with the outdrives and we can tell you what you have.

At that vintage it was most likely a Volvo 280.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

to answer some of the questions,

this boat at one time wa in salt water, i can tell where some barincales were scraped off and painted over- on the out drive. on the title - this is a ciera, also says on title, under HULL TYPE "open mboat" (i have no ideal what that means)

i have called 3 different bay liner co- 1 did not answer, 1, number disconnected, 1 put me off and gave me number to sea ray co . told me they could help id with hull id #, call they was on hold for 15 minutes before i hung up. will try again later.

i took a picture of my boat, and also where the transom plate is. please note. this is why i think there was something different on this boat to begine with. if you look at the picture of the transom plate. on the back of the boat there are some old paint lines that look like they came from a bigger transom plate... also look at the top 2 bolts on the transom plate, and look at about an inch above the plate at about a 45 degree angle and you will see a hole with a bubble in the hole. this is - or looks to be a hole (like a mount hole) with silcone in it and painted over.

any thoughts with this would be great

also just got my new water heater in. (yaaa now i can take a hot shower!!) neew a little advise ... not sure from where the hot water hose comes from and where it goes to- this would be to and from the heat exchanger to the engine. if it matters volvo penta motor set up- (raw water pump is on front of motor).

thanks very much

rusty

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/653638=24621-Boat back 2-7-12 002.jpg[/img]

Comment

Are you sure you don't have an '86? Check the last two digits of the HIN on the right rear corner of the boat.

ANd you are correct, it looks like your transom shields were replaced at one point. I believe you originally had 290 power trim drives (hence the trim gauge you posted, and I would know more if you could confirm your boat's model year). These drives found their ways onto 1986 (and possibly earlier) Conquests. You likely have a 3250 Conquest Sunbridge.

The 290 transom shields were slightly larger, and they replaced the older (non power trim) transom shields you have on your boat now:

It looks like someone had to replace your shields at some point, possibly due to corrosion, and couldn't find the 290 shields (which are a lot rarer than the ones you have now, which themselves are getting hard to find).
            Matt Train
            BOC Site Team
            Chicagoland, IL

Comment

the hull # says 83 the title says 84

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/653682=24622-boat pics 2-7-12 001.JPG[/img]

Comment

Definitely looks like a 84 contessa hull does the hull number end in 83-4?

Comment

hull # ends in a 3

Comment

The only power trim drive that Volvo Penta offered and that Bayliner may have used 1984, and the only drive that would have used the helm trim indicator gauge, would have been the 280 PT drive.

The one that you show is an incorrect transom shield for any 1984 boat of any brand and is likely a 270 or perhaps a 250 shield.

Also, the faint outline is too large for any other Volvo Penta transom shield.

I believe that the 290 was not yet available in 1984.

Post several photos of your drive and we can tell you what you have.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/653728=24626-270 shield.jpg[/img]
                    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

That outline you pointed out Rick looks like a PO may have done a crappy transom patch job, where OMC's an option and someone did a conversion?

Comment

1. That is a 2750 Ciera sunbridge, likely an '84.

2. There was both OMC stringer and Volvo Penta power during this year. That might explain the transom cutout, but...

3. The trim guage is for a 290 transom shield (or like Rick said, the 280PT drive).

However, the transom shield has a lot of inaccurate parts. Obviously the transom was rebuilt at some point.
                        Matt Train
                        BOC Site Team
                        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Looking at the footprint it appears that it could be a stringer set up once? Any photos of what it looks like in the bilge area?
                          1998 3055 Ciera
                          (yes, a 1998)
                          Sea Doo XP
                          Sea Doo GTI SE

Comment

Try contacting customer care this way. Give them your HIN.

http://www.baylinercustomercare.com/catalogs_index.html
                            1998 3055 Ciera
                            (yes, a 1998)
                            Sea Doo XP
                            Sea Doo GTI SE

Comment

Working...
                            X