Generator to power AC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator to power AC

I'm going to purchace an inverter generator for my boat and would like to be able to also run my AC. What would be a minimum wattage start/run to be able to operate it? 1994 2859, factory AC.

Most members here prefer the Honda EU series, and if powering an AC unit, the EU 2000 ( 2000 watt) appears to be the right choice!
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

When I ran the AC on our previous boat (1998 2858) the alrgest AC unit it would run was 9000 btu. It would not start the original 12,000 btu unit.

James
      1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
      Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
      Lowrance Electronics!
      MMSI
      VHF
      CFA 2587
      Boating on Georgian Bay
      Currently on the Great Loop

Comment

A 2000 watt generator will operate a small AC unit (preferably with a soft start). Once started it will be churning away at max output. A 2500 or 2700 watt unit would be better, but you will need a strong arm to hoist one of those units around. A 3000 watt unit would work best, but moving one is a two man job.
        Ray.
        1980 Bayliner 3270 "Goose Bumps"
        Twin 4.3 V6
        Located Blaine Wa.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray_Stec View Post
          A 2000 watt generator will operate a small AC unit (preferably with a soft start). Once started it will be churning away at max output. A 2500 or 2700 watt unit would be better, but you will need a strong arm to hoist one of those units around. A 3000 watt unit would work best, but moving one is a two man job.
          Ray.
          How about 2 of the Hondas linked together?
          Esteban
          Panama City, Panama
          Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952
          Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida

Comment

2 of the 2000W should work. As mentioned by others, it is best if you know the actual BTU size of the AC unit. The older units draw a lot during start up. A soft start kit will be helpful.
            1998 BL Ciera 2655 Sunbridge LX (Special Edition)
            "Sea Flights"
            5.7L 2bbl w/Thunderbolt Ignition
            Alpha I Gen II Sterndrive with raw water cooling
            MFG Extra's - A/C, Fresh Water Engine Flush port, HWH and Windlass
            Docks @ Punta Gorda, Florida

Comment

Originally posted by pgiconch View Post
              2 of the 2000W should work. As mentioned by others, it is best if you know the actual BTU size of the AC unit. The older units draw a lot during start up. A soft start kit will be helpful.
              Right. I have a Honda 2000 and it would never start a small rooftop RV AC unit. They have a hard start also and the load is too much for the genset. Two hooked together might work but a 3000 would be better, but that’s a big unit to lug around by hand.
              1990 2755 - sold
              2005 275 current vessel

Comment

Another consideration - if you double the generators, you double the noise. Of all the feedback and concerns I've read here and elsewhere (besides all the negatives about extra gas and CO gas dangers), the often heard negative is regarding the noise of a genny spoiling the quiet tranquility at anchorage. IF your AC system is 10K BTU or less you may be able to get by with the Honda 2200 unit vs the 2000. They are nearly the same in weight and noise but the 2200 handles a higher surge draw. My new Champion 2200 works quite well in handling my 6000BTU AC (plus the batattery charger). AND most importantly - ensure you purchase or make a grounding plug to ensure the neutral and ground are connected at the generator outlet.

See: http://noshockzone.org/generator-gro...utral-bonding/

Last edited by pgiconch; 07-13-2019, 10:57 AM. Reason: Add link....
                "Sea Flights"

Comment

Originally posted by dinellig View Post
                  I'm going to purchace an inverter generator for my boat and would like to be able to also run my AC. What would be a minimum wattage start/run to be able to operate it? 1994 2859, factory AC.
                  Update, my unit is a Mermaid 12000 BTU. Replaced in 2017 with new.

Comment

Refer to post #3. Although new (2017) I suspect it may be iffy that a single 2200W unit will suffice. If it does support the AC, it probably won't support much else. So now you need to decide if the space of 2 gensets, tie downs, extra fuel, noise, etc are worth the effort for the intended layover/anchorage time. That becomes a personal decision only. If you do go with using a genset onboard, please ensure you add appropriate CO sensors in cabin areas if they aren't already there. Enjoy your boat either way you decide to go. Summer is funtime.
                    "Sea Flights"

Comment

Originally posted by pgiconch View Post
                      Refer to post #3. Although new (2017) I suspect it may be iffy that a single 2200W unit will suffice. If it does support the AC, it probably won't support much else. So now you need to decide if the space of 2 gensets, tie downs, extra fuel, noise, etc are worth the effort for the intended layover/anchorage time. That becomes a personal decision only. If you do go with using a genset onboard, please ensure you add appropriate CO sensors in cabin areas if they aren't already there. Enjoy your boat either way you decide to go. Summer is funtime.
                      Understood. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                      X