Beginning of a new season for me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginning of a new season for me

Captains, I am leaving my home in the USA tmrw to start a 5+ month stay in my summer abode (in Turkey) where my beloved boat awaits for me. I am expecting to pull it out of the water on May 20th and then put it back in on May 25th after regular bottom, engine and drive maintenance plus a good cleaning all around. I am excited as hell and hope that all goes well. I shall connect again after I have made it to my boat and the Aegean Sea.

Fair seas to all!
    Retired, computer expert / executive
    Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
    Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
    D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
    bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
    bulent@pacbell.net

Best of luck with the boat and enjoy the summer. Guess you'll find out if leaving it in the water with you in the USA was a mistake or not.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Have a great season.
      Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
      West River Yacht & Cruising Club
      www.wrycc.com

Comment

Well, I am back in Turkey and have found my beloved Monte Vista in great shape. This was the first year when I left it in the water for 7 months during the winter. I had wrapped it up with a very functional canvas to keep the elements and cats out of the cockpit. First picture shows my boat tied at the dock with this wrapping. Because I have Mercathode on the engine the boat remained plugged to shore all the time. I was worried but had absolutely no corrosion issue. When the boat came out of the water the hull was not too bad but the drive was covered with all kinds of sea creatures. The second photo shows that. After the hull/drive was washed with pressured water they looked much better. The drive was cleaned with HCL acid and a bit of scraping and sprayed with original/protective paint, mostly for cosmetic reasons as there was no damage. Drive was removed, transmission bellow was replaced, new anodes were put on (some of the old anodes were almost totally gone) and drive was put back on after a lot of grease. Transmission oil was drained and refilled. Bottom was sanded and two coats of paint was applied. Engine was serviced, draining/replacing oil, replacing the filters and also re[lacing the anodes; one anode was almost totally gone other was good; I can't remember which was what. Impeller was checked and replaced (minor dents/gauges).

My baby goes back in the water tomorrow. After that a simple generator service will be done and a thorough cleaning will make the boar ready for the new year. Overall, keeping it in the water has been a better experience than keeping it on dryland for the winter. Main reason is land is much more dusty and the boat gets more damage that way. My only problem now is black mold on the pilot seat. I had folded the foredeck tanning cushions and placed them in the cockpit. Where the viny touched another viny a very bad black mold has formed. That is not easy to clean. I would appreciate any advice in getting rid of that stuff and the black stain it has left on my seat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8318.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	502935Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8328.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	502936Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8335.jpg
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	502937Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8334.jpg
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	502938Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8337.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	502939
        bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
        bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

The cleaning of the drive with hcl acid was a surprise to me. Have a great season.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
            The cleaning of the drive with hcl acid was a surprise to me. Have a great season.
            That is the "standard" remedy in these waters. It acts like magic.
            bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
            bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

Working...
            X