air conditioning-gctid349848

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air conditioning-gctid349848

i am looking for some compact portable form of ac for my boat. we probaly only would use it a few nights every now and then . i have looked at the reverse cycle ac/heat but i dont think it is cost effective for me the few times i would use it .does anybody have any suggestions on an ac unit that can be installed that doesnt use a waterpump. i have seen the portable type that sets on top of forward hatch i dont like the idea of carting that around all summer . any help would be appreciated.

If you don't come up with anything suitable for A/C, get a simple oscillating fan.

Far less money and better than nothing.
    2007 Discovery 246
    300mpi BIII
    Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

You can get a window hatch unit for about $1,000. If that is still to much I have seen self contained units at HD for about $400.
      Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
      1998 3055 Ciera
      (yes, a 1998)
      Previous boat: 1993 3055
      Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
      Sea Doo XP
      Sea Doo GTI SE
      Life is short. Boats are cool.
      The family that plays together stays together.
      Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

itsabowtime2 wrote:
        You can get a window hatch unit for about $1,000. If that is still to much I have seen self contained units at HD for about $400.
        Thought about the small portable house models but you need some ducting as well

Comment

My experience with the portable spot coolers in the small size that you would use is not all that good. Surely in your part of the world good ventilation and a fan would be adequate.

Comment

richardson wrote:
            My experience with the portable spot coolers in the small size that you would use is not all that good. Surely in your part of the world good ventilation and a fan would be adequate.
            Nothing beats a/c on a humid warm night I cant sleep for crap even with fans in those conditions so I can understand where jamie is coming from.

I would try to find a cheap used hatch unit, you can really get some EPIC deals on them.

Comment

biohazard wrote:
              Nothing beats a/c on a humid warm night I cant sleep for crap even with fans in those conditions so I can understand where jamie is coming from.

I would try to find a cheap used hatch unit, you can really get some EPIC deals on them.
              I feel the same way. I can't sleep with just fans on. I need the A/C. And we did use it a lot last summer. I had looked on craigslist a couple of years ago for a used hatch unit for our previous boat. There are some great deals out there (I bought a new boat with A/C instead - haha). Jamie, if you feel you would only use A/C a few times a summer, I would try the hatch unit. - Tom

Comment

Jamie,

I fooled around with both types - the hatch mounted version, which IS a pain to lug up to the bow.

Plus the suitcase, water pump version (Kruisin Kool), which did work great but took up floor space when in use.

I bit the bullet and installed a CruiseAir 6000 btu Turbo under the dining bench seat and it's the best thing I ever did. I posted the install process in the Tech section.

Your portable options are really limited. Believe me I looked.

Joey
                2007 Discovery 246
                5.0L MPI BRAVO III
                The "BAY-BEA"

Comment

We found a portable unit - NanoMax MF9000E made by Amcor. They are not made anymore, but some are available. Ours is a 9,000 BTU, with a dryer hose type exhaust we will put in one of our sliding cain windows to vent the moisture and hot air. Some people at our marina had a smaller version and liked it. Have not tried it on the boat yet, but dropped the temp in our bedroom (with cathedral ceilings) 4 degrees in 45 min. It weighs 50 pounds, has a remote control and draws around 8 amps. Got it for $199.00 with free shipping online, don't remember where, it was last year . . . .

Comment

Jamie, this is something i have also contemplated for some time. I have the hatch air that sits on the bow( total pain to get on and off of bow of boat) . I had planned on using a small unit sold at Menards which was an 8000 btu which needs to be vented to ext. of boat and drained for condensation. They actually have the same unit on Amazon right now for $259.00 plus shipping. The challenge would be ( without cutting a hole in the side of your boat ) to get the exhaust of hot air into your engine space( the air out does not contain c02). and getting a couple of supplys to the int of boat, also for best results you would need to get an intake that draws from the space you are cooling. The drain could be T d into a sink drain to a through hull and with some imagination im sure you could rig the rest. My boat has outlet boxes in the 2 locations i considered installing it (aft cabin comp. where fridge plus in & under sink where microwave plugs in) the unit i was planning on using came with a remot too. chew on that and you could probubly save some dough.

Comment

biohazard wrote:

ain't that the truth Ryan.
                      Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                      1998 3055 Ciera
                      (yes, a 1998)
                      Previous boat: 1993 3055
                      Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                      Sea Doo XP
                      Sea Doo GTI SE
                      Life is short. Boats are cool.
                      The family that plays together stays together.
                      Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

I mucked about with the hatch units and the suitcase units, then went to a sea water cooled unit (mermaid) and have never looked back. Just makes a great nights sleep. For a fe wbucks more, it is a wonderful nights sleep or a great day aboard at the dock.
                        Tony, Cape Cod, MA
                        Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
                        1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
                        454 Merc Cruisers inboards
                        "HOLODECK"
                        2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
                        www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

If you are handy, bite the bullet and do it the real way. I bought a refurbished unit several years back for my 2855 and also for my Avanti. Both worked and still work wonderfully. They are factory refurbished and rather cheap for a very high quality product. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARINE-AIR-C...#ht_500wt_1314
                          Cheers, Hans
                          2007 Carver 41 CMY
                          Twin Volvo D6-370
                          Montreal, Canada
                          Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

midnight sun, great link for the AC! we were just about to order from Star marine , with the install kit im much better going here. Jamie good luck with your quest for coolness, definitly check out Ms's link.

Comment

MidnightSun wrote:
                              If you are handy, bite the bullet and do it the real way. I bought a refurbished unit several years back for my 2855 and also for my Avanti. Both worked and still work wonderfully. They are factory refurbished and rather cheap for a very high quality product. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARINE-AIR-C...#ht_500wt_1314
                              Looks like a great deal for sure. Although I did get a full 5 year warranty with the new mermaid unit I bought for only a couple of hundred dollars more. ocean Breeze is a great brand!
                              Tony, Cape Cod, MA
                              Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
                              1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
                              454 Merc Cruisers inboards
                              "HOLODECK"
                              2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
                              www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

Working...
                              X