Zipwake tabs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zipwake tabs

Anyone who owns a 305/3055 knows that our tabs are to small, and there is no room for larger tabs. After long research I've decided to upgrade to Zipwake interceptors to replace my Bennett tabs. After years of owning my boat, and experiencing a lot of different conditions changes need to be made.
    Zipwake is an automatic system that deploys vertical tabs 5 times quicker than traditional tabs. I have been in conditions that I could not control tabs and throttles at the same time, and actually times that the tabs could not respond fast enough anyway.
    I've found feedback from other sites that say these have made huge differences in their boats, but could not find anything on this site, except from a guest. If anyone has experience with these it would be greatly appreciated.
    I will start out with the Zipwake 450 kit, and if need be I will add 2 more interceptors between the drives, that's another great thing about this system, you can add up to 4 more interceptors to the existing system.
    Dave
    2004 Bayliner 305(twin 220hp Bravo II drives)
    2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser
    2012 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
    http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=11187

go to Meridian Yacht Owners and search. there is an Aussie owner of a 341 who loves his zipwake. There was a lot of action around these at the Big Seattle Boat Show this year.
    Tally and Vicki
    "Wickus" Meridian 341
    MMSI 338014939

Comment

Thanks Tally,
      Unfortunately Meridian club requires me to set up an account. It would of been nice if the Cleveland boat show would of had them, but I guess the show just isn't big enough anymore to attract a lot of vendors.
      I have been in contact with the company and I think we have come up with the right set up for my boat. I'm hoping to get this project done this year, I am behind this year and haven't even started getting the boat cleaned up, hoping to start next week, that way I still have some time to get this done.
      Dave
      2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser

Comment

pasted:
        Well...today I fitted the Zip Wake interceptor trim blades and went out for a 1 hour trial. They work. In fact they work very well. Even though it was a quick run in calm waters, compared to the traditional trim tabs, I cruise at the same speed I was before, but at 100rpm's lower. I did not compare before and after fuel use but that's always a moving target and at 100rpm's I am anticipating maybe a 3-4% improvement.

And in Auto-Pitch control there is less...pitching.

With Auto-Roll turned on I was unable to see how it performs in a sea-way because of the calm conditions although I did cross my wake as many times as I could and there is a definite improvement in the roll in that it stabilises faster. And when making a full turn it does so in a tighter arc but with less angle. And again stabilises faster.

It was very easy to install and the instructions are so Swedish. One big piece of paper with very concise and clear and uncomplicated instructions. The user manual is also very intuitive. It's almost Apple-like I suppose.
        Tally and Vicki
        "Wickus" Meridian 341
        MMSI 338014939

Comment

He reports after a year high satisfaction.
          Tally and Vicki
          "Wickus" Meridian 341
          MMSI 338014939

Comment

Thanks Tally, I really appreciate you copying and pasting his post. I will post my results this season.
            Dave
            2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser

Comment

moultdkdj, very Interesting, could you give us the time for installation?
              Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
              96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Originally posted by fritzman View Post
                moultdkdj, very Interesting, could you give us the time for installation?
                Will do, I just ordered everything this morning. I am going with the 450 chine interceptor kit, and adding 2 300 interceptors inside of drives.
                I will take photos and keep track of how long it takes me to install. And of course add updates when the boat goes in the water.
                Dave
                2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser

Comment

Thank you that will be great, my thought that most of Bayliners stern drive boat need a bit of help lifting the stern.

Comment

Everything came yesterday, hopefully start install next week.
                    Just started buffing the boat out yesterday, even though I want to start on this project I will finish what I started first.
                    Dave
                    2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser

Comment

I finished the install today, except repainting the transom. But I will do that when the boat gets closer to launch date. The install was simple and took a total of 12 hours including removing old tabs and filling holes.
                      Attached Files
                      Dave
                      2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser

Comment

Can't wait to hear about the seatrial
                        Tally and Vicki
                        "Wickus" Meridian 341
                        MMSI 338014939

Comment

Great, I am on pins and needles to hear of the running and fuel savings.

Comment

Ok I launched the boat today and had a short 6 mile cruise to my dock. took longer then usual but the lake was a bit rough, 3 to 4 footers in a head sea.
                            I got out of the river and eased the throttles forward, I had very little bow rise as the zip wakes automatically fully deployed. I have to say my boat has never jumped up on plane this fast, especially in rough conditions, I cruised the entire way at 16 mph at 2700 rpm, I never had to stand and the boat never fell off plane. according to my fuel flow meters I was burning 15 gallons an hour.
                            Tomorrow should be a nicer lake and I can't wait to see how these thing do on a nice lake. I feel it took less power to get on plane, and I had perfect sight line the entire time.

So my first impressions are holy s### I freaking love these things. Now time will tell if they are worth the investment, but if they can make my boat handle this much better in rough seas then I'm very happy with the performance of them. I will of course keep giving updates as I put more hours on.

Oh I forgot to mention not only did they maintain perfect pitch, but they also kept the role to a minimum.
                            Dave
                            2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser

Comment

That is impressive! Were you able to be on plane at 2700rpm before? I have a 3055, '99 vintage. Twin 305s as well. Anything under ~3500rpm and I'm falling off plane. I feel like I have read that is most people's experience with this boat, in regards to planing. Can't wait to hear more.
                              sigpic
                              MDR3055
                              "GREEN JEANS"
                              '99 Bayliner 3055
                              Merc 5.0's Bravo 2's
                              Marina Del Rey, CA

Comment

Working...
                              X