Boat Insurance - Liability Only

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Insurance - Liability Only

The current insurance for my 1986 2850 is liability coverage only under my home insurance with Farmers. The premium is $100 for $500,000 coverage. My home insurance keeps going up year after year, so I am shopping for new insurance. I don't know whether the new company carries coverage for the boat. In case it doesn't then I need to go outside to get insurance for the boat. I like to know whether our members knows of companies out there that offer liability-only coverage? What is the premium?

Thanks,
    Joe
    1986 2850 Commend Bridge on hydrohoist
    A260 and AQ280 with DP lower unit

Don't know about your area; but in Louisiana both State Farm and Progressive provide that type of policy.

Comment

Wondering why only liability?
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Umbrella policy.
        Jeff & Tara
        (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
        "GetAway"
        Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
          Wondering why only liability?
          I have a 1986 boat which is in good condition but isn't worth very much. With my family commitment at his point of time, I I don't get to take her out very often. Also it is on a hydrohoist with less chance of damage than a boat on water. When I looked for insurance with Boat US a few years back it asked for a survey. I thought it was too much work. How many people with old boats have just liability insurance?

Joe

Comment

• nwboater62
            nwboater62 commented
            Editing a comment
            I also have an 1986 model that I insure through Boat US. They asked for a "Self Survey". Fill out the form and attach and send pictures that they ask for..

Originally posted by Jeffw View Post
          Umbrella policy.
          I don't know much about insurance. Will an umbrella policy cover the boat without an additional boat insurance.? I think my marina wants to see specific insurance on the boat.

Joe

Comment

I have liability only through Markel. They insure marine and aircraft. My policy is $1mil for my 2858 and I pay $348 a year. I also need a survey to get full coverage, but I didn't have a trailer until recently.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcajmca View Post

I don't know much about insurance. Will an umbrella policy cover the boat without an additional boat insurance.? I think my marina wants to see specific insurance on the boat.

Joe
              Yes, you would need some sort of underlying coverage, you are correct. I didn't think it through, umbrellas are excess coverage.
              Jeff & Tara
              (And Ginger too)
              Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
              "GetAway"
              Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

As someone stated, we use Progressive through our independent insurance agent. Full coverage on our ‘’89 SeaRay 300, no survey, $325 year/ agreed upon value of boat $15,000, $300 deductibles...boat is at marina and marina requires proof of full coverage. We get a pretty good deal as I have no less than 10 current watercraft insured through them..
                Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
                2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
                1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

Originally posted by RobMick View Post
                  As someone stated, we use Progressive through our independent insurance agent. Full coverage on our ‘’89 SeaRay 300, no survey, $325 year/ agreed upon value of boat $15,000, $300 deductibles...boat is at marina and marina requires proof of full coverage. We get a pretty good deal as I have no less than 10 current watercraft insured through them..
                  Hi Rob,

I think you get a very good rate for full coverage of your boat, I don't want to get a survey so I opt for the liability only coverage when I got the boat. I will check out Progressive.

Thanks,
                  Joe

Comment

I have a 1986 boat which is in good condition but isn't worth very much. With my family commitment at his point of time, I I don't get to take her out very often. Also it is on a hydrohoist with less chance of damage than a boat on water. When I looked for insurance with Boat US a few years back it asked for a survey. I thought it was too much work. How many people with old boats have just liability insurance?

Joe
                    I do the same. I have $1 million in liability for my 1988 2455. It costs less than a hundred added to my homeowner's policy.
                    Bill and Janice
                    Chatham, Ontario, Canada
                    1988 2455 Ciera

Comment

You might need to check with your marina...they might require additional insurance...
                      1988 3888 "Liberty"
                      Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
                      Onan 8.0
                      Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

Hi Rob,

I think you get a very good rate for full coverage of your boat, I don't want to get a survey so I opt for the liability only coverage when I got the boat. I will check out Progressive.

Thanks,
                        Joe
                        Liability only will not cover a sunken boat, or a fire on the boat, or a natural disaster, I believe!
                        Some issues can be quite expensive compared to additional insurance.
                        Our harbor in Seward, AK requires that our insurance cover the harbor in cases like a fire that damages the dock or the nearby boats.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...WSdE4EqcrGPQ56
                        Last edited by boatworkfl; 01-25-2019, 07:49 AM.
                        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                        Twin 350 GM power
                        Located in Seward, AK
                        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I am over here in Valdez, I just purchased a 3870, who do you use for insurance?

Comment

Additional coverage is worth the investment and her is why;
                            You'll have coverage if the boat sinks, catches fire, hits a rock and takes out your drives or the props and shafts, critters get on board and destroy interior, etc. Check out Marine Insurers.
                            No I am not an insurance broker. LOL
                            John
                            2005 Bayliner 285
                            6.2 Mercury Bravo 3

Comment

Working...
                            X