No announcement yet.

Replace or Repair? 1979 Alum Gas Tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS ...and we've discovered it's not the u-bolt. The tapered gears in the upper gearbox of the outdrive are damaged.
    new gear set $1,700 +/-
    new bearings $500 +/-
    misc Orings, seals $100
    set up time $700 +/-

Suggestion:

Drop the lower gear unit and examine the oil drain-back screen. (upper and lower share gear oil)

Find a good used 280 transmission from a four cylinder engine. ā€œDā€ designation.

Learn the shimming process and install.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

There used to be and maybe still is a place in Salem on Silverton Rd. called Culver tank. They build fuel tanks of steel and I think Aluminum too. Welliver in West Salem quit building fuel tanks a few years ago. It was a shame as they were the best fab and weld shop in town.

Greg
      Newport, Oregon
      South Beach Marina
      1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
      Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
      Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

OK another thought.
        If the problem is just a small area on the bottom why not weld a patch on that area?
        Doug
        Started boating 1955
        Number of boats owned 32
        Bayliners
        3870 presently owned
        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

UPDATE:

New aluminum gas tank from Coastline Equipment (Bellingham) is ready. They had the original spec sheet and drawing for it, but I sent measurements anyway.

I cleaned, primed, and painted the engine while it was out. Same goes for the bell housing (and yes, I got two new rubber seals/rings).

We took everything out of the bilge, except the new 14 gallon auxiliary gas tank. It now sports two coats of Interlux Perfection "Snow White" on the bottom, and the sides will soon get painted as well. (Also got a 32' LED Strip to light things up down there).

I need to replace that automotive distributor. Coil, too? Not sure which one to get, tho. Suggestions??? (How about the Pertronix D200801 Red Cap?)

Parts, paints, and misc. arriving just about daily around here. Busy busy busy! We're about ready to reassemble. Here's some more progress photos.

Shelly

Shelly
          Willamette Valley, Oregon
          originally from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
          Volvo Penta 225D &
          AQ280 outdrive

- My boat (every photo, ever -- for reference and progress log)
          https://www.flickr.com/gp/93076243@N07/esPXUY

Comment

Originally posted by 80Penta225D View Post
            UPDATE:

New aluminum gas tank from Coastline Equipment (Bellingham) is ready. They had the original spec sheet and drawing for it, but I sent measurements anyway.

I cleaned, primed, and painted the engine while it was out. Same goes for the bell housing (and yes, I got two new rubber seals/rings).

I will also suggest that you replace the 95mm soft wall exhaust couplers, and do so by making them each 2" longer than what the OEM were.
            You can purchase the soft wall 95mm by the foot via a good marine exhaust hose company.
            They will most likely need to order it in.

We took everything out of the bilge, except the new 14 gallon auxiliary gas tank. It now sports two coats of Interlux Perfection "Snow White" on the bottom, and the sides will soon get painted as well. (Also got a 32' LED Strip to light things up down there).

I need to replace that automotive distributor. Coil, too? Not sure which one to get, tho. Suggestions??? (How about the Pertronix D200801 Red Cap?)
            Pertronix uses Hall Effect triggering. I would suggest going with VR or photo-eye in a mechanically advancing style.

Parts, paints, and misc. arriving just about daily around here. Busy busy busy!
            I'll bet you are!

We're about ready to reassemble. Here's some more progress photos.

Shelly
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Great job it will last you many more years.
              Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
              96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Looking great! Your replacing all fuel lines including the fuel fill hose and vent?
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

RE: exhaust hose couplers
                  Those were recently replaced when we switched to enclosed cooling (details w/photos on how we did that are coming).

RE: Distributor w/ "VR or photo-eye in mechanically advancing style"
                  THANKS. Will do! Lol... I'll need to google that!

YES -- all fuel lines, hose, vent will be replaced. Also replacing the four ratty, brittle 3" bilge vent hoses.

"...last many more years."
                  Yes. After Vulcan Marine installs the rebuilt upper and lower outdrive units (now with duoprop), it'll be as good as new. Better actually, considering upgrades.

But I'm going off "gas tank" topic... where should misc project updates be posted?

Many thanks for all your advice! Very appreciated.
                  Shelly

PS - In the interim, I even got another cushion done. Will start on "screen" bra and sides next.
                  Shelly
                  originally from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
                  Volvo Penta 225D &
                  AQ280 outdrive

Comment

If you want to clean and coat the existing tank you still have to pull it though, right? Is there a way to do it in place? If not might as well replace it.
                    Glen Sherwood
                    1987 3270 twin 305ā€™s
                    Coupeville, WA

Comment

I wish there was something I could just add to my tanks and not have to worry about it.
                      Glen Sherwood
                      1987 3270 twin 305ā€™s
                      Coupeville, WA

Comment

RE: exhaust hose couplers
                        Those were recently replaced when we switched to enclosed cooling (details w/photos on how we did that are coming).
                        Shelly, just an FYI and I'm not trying to tell you what to do..... it's your boat!
                        And please forgive my redundancy:
                        Whether new OEM or not, the OEM 95mm couplers are always too short, and by about 1 -3/4".
                        This causes the placement of the band clamps to be over the elbow's scalloped areas.
                        If the hose material becomes depressed into the scalloped areas, it will eventually restrict seawater flow, resulting in over-heating.

RE: Distributor w/ "VR or photo-eye in mechanically advancing style"
                        THANKS. Will do! Lol... I'll need to google that!

VR = Variable Reluctor, and uses a steel magnetic wheel and a sensor unit.
                        This is a tried and proven triggering system that has stood the test of time since the 70s.

Photo-Eye is also very popular as a triggering system. However, there can be occasional issues with the photo-eye.

YES -- all fuel lines, hose, vent will be replaced. Also replacing the four ratty, brittle 3" bilge vent hoses.

"...last many more years."
                        Yes. After Vulcan Marine installs the rebuilt upper and lower outdrive units (now with duoprop), it'll be as good as new. Better actually, considering upgrades.
                        FYI again...... and not to scare you, but rather to inform you:

Most of the trained AQ series mechanics have since retired. (AQ series ran from the late 60s through the mid 90s)
                        The new and younger guys have never trained on the AQ series, do not fully understand them, and typically do not want to work on them.
                        However, if the shop takes on the work, the new younger guys end up doing it.
                        The shimming procedures are often misunderstood, and mistakes may result.

When the work has been performed by a trained/experienced AQ series tech, they will provide you with a build-out-spec sheet.
                        The OEM manual will provide a page for the build sheet that can be copied, and then filled out with the specs.
                        Be sure to ask for the build sheet!

If you get that Deer-in-the-headlights-look, it may be an indication of inexperience.

Hopefully this shop has an AQ series experienced staff and all work is great!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks, Rick. There are SO many ways to do this wrong, and it's really important to me to do this right. You can tell me what to do with my boat ANY day!
                          Shelly
                          originally from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
                          Volvo Penta 225D &
                          AQ280 outdrive

Comment

Thanks, Rick. There are SO many ways to do this wrong, and it's really important to me to do this right.
                            You can tell me what to do with my boat ANY day!
                            Well, thank you for taking that the way that it was meant to be taken.
                            I like to see things done correctly as to avoid issues in the future.

you're doing a nice job.... keep it up!
                            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Well, here it is -- the new 99 gallon gas tank, from Coastline Equipment in Bellingham. They did a beautiful job. One "boat buck" well spent!

Shelly
                              Shelly
                              originally from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
                              Volvo Penta 225D &
                              AQ280 outdrive

Comment

Shiny!
                                Some of us coated the exterior of the fuel tank to reduce future corrosion. Now's the time if your considering it. Also, plastic spacers adhered to the bottom to keep it up off the bottom and facilitate drainage is also recommended.
                                Dave
                                Edmonds, WA
                                "THE FIX"
                                '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                                (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                                The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                                Misc. projects thread
                                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
                                X