Buying a salt water boat.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a salt water boat.

Looking at a couple of boats that are or have been previously used in salt water. I would be moving them to Superior Wisconsin and was wondering what to look for. They both have Mercruiser bravo II outdrives and one freshwater cooled the other is raw water cooled and that makes me a little nervous.
    1995 2858 7.4 B2 (Present boat)
    1988 2655 460 KC
    1987 2150 5.0 Cobra
    Commercial/Ind HVAC/R Service Tech.

I’d also be concerned with a raw water cooled engine that’s been run in the salt. Closed cooled is the way to go imo. What to look for with the Bravo drive? Bravoitis.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
      I’d also be concerned with a raw water cooled engine that’s been run in the salt. Closed cooled is the way to go imo. What to look for with the Bravo drive? Bravoitis.
      Either boat is susceptible to bravoities. I would prefer the one with closed cooling but you need to access the condition to be sure it’s a good boat.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

I'm shy about the raw water boat too and agree with Mike about the Bravoitis. Beyond that is the hull condition. Iiwm, and the raw water cooled boat was better overall, I'd buy the boat and start planning for engine rebuilds around the 1000-1200 hour mark. When I was growing up or boats powered with Intercepter 312s and 292s were all raw water cooled. The wear issue was with the rotating assembly. We never lost a block to rust, it was always due to the rebuilding and increasing the cylinder size. And this was early 1960's metallurgy. We regularly put 4-500 hours a year on that boat.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
        MMSI 367770440
        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I think the most pristine boats are Great Lakes boats, fresh water and used what, 6 months out of the year. Salt water is hard as hell on a boat, closed cooling or not.
          Jeff & Tara
          (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
          "GetAway"
          Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Along with the salt water issues pertaining to the engine and stern drive, don't forget that salt water will have an effect on other on-board items.

I'm with Jeff...... wait until your move is complete, and then look for a boat in/around the Superior Wisconsin area!
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I have never seen a happy owner who bought a salt water boat and brought is up to the great lakes. The problems are not just skin deep as many find out after the first year of ownership. Also it is a difficult sell in the great lakes region when one knows it once lived in salt. Personally I would look elsewhere and do not be intimidated by the great price.

I have always said boating in salt is like boating in mild battery acid. Sounds extreme but not far from the truth.
              Cheers, Hans
              2007 Carver 41 CMY
              Twin Volvo D6-370
              Montreal, Canada
              Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffw View Post
                I think the most pristine boats are Great Lakes boats, fresh water and used what, 6 months out of the year. Salt water is hard as hell on a boat, closed cooling or not.
                +1
                Corrosion in the electrical system could also become an issue.
                My 3270 comes from Toledo OH
                CapMartin, Montr├®al
                "Belle de Dalhousie"
                1986 3270
                Volvo BB225B

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSun View Post
                  I have never seen a happy owner who bought a salt water boat and brought is up to the great lakes. The problems are not just skin deep as many find out after the first year of ownership. Also it is a difficult sell in the great lakes region when one knows it once lived in salt. Personally I would look elsewhere and do not be intimidated by the great price.

I have always said boating in salt is like boating in mild battery acid. Sounds extreme but not far from the truth.
                  I bought my boat in 2014 from Maryland, and am very happy with my purchase. Now I had the boat surveyed including engines and drives, so I new what I was getting into and got a great deal. My boat has 2 new engines, including manifolds, and risers. Back when I was looking I couldn't find the same boat for under $50000.00. With engines, gimble bearings, u joints, bellows, new canvas, delivery, and some miscellaneous repairs, it put my purchase at $29000.00 for what I consider a mint condition 305.

Now I have seen bad salt water boats, but I also have seen a lot of bad fresh water boats. Just make sure you get a good survey, including engine, and drive.

Hans, just didn't want you not knowing someone who was happy with their salt water purchase. LOL.
                  Dave
                  2004 Bayliner 305(twin 220hp Bravo II drives)
                  2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser
                  2012 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
                  http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=11187

Comment

Just don't
                    2007 Discovery 246
                    300mpi BIII
                    Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

You all do realize that, fresh water rots wood, of which there is plenty in old boats, much faster than salt water does.....I can tell you based on experience, in salt water you can get a good 15 years out of a raw water cooled engine, after that, you can have problems. However this assumes that the exhaust system was properly maintained (ie checked and probably replaced at 5-7 years). The Cobra drive system on my boat has been in salt water for 15 years, 6 months season. No real problems other than surface corrosion. I replaced the bellows 2x, the trim lines 1x, the gimble bearing 1x and the drive was re-sealed 1x. That's it. The boat's on its 4th exhaust system since I've owned it.
                      88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                      98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                      07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

As Jeff said, wait until you move to Superior WI. I agree that boats used on fresh water are in general are in much better shape. Most boats do not have corrosion issues at all. As for fishing, welcome to Walleye, Salmon, Brown,Rainbow and Lake Trout fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSun View Post

This is a great response...... ditto!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Listen to the guys about waiting. The Great Lakes are a great place to buy a boat. Stick with a fresh water boat anytime you can. You might have to go to one of the lower lakes to find what you want the it will be worth it in every way.
                            Started boating 1955
                            Number of boats owned 32
                            Bayliners
                            3870 presently owned
                            Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Working...
                            X