1998 2858 hard to steer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 2858 hard to steer

I finally got my boat after over a month of excuses on delivery. Once it arrived, it was very disappointing to say the least. I was shown pictures of a boat in a 8/10 condition and received a 5/10 condition boat. One of the many issues I'm having is the steering is heavy. It arrived with no fluid in the reservoir. I added some ATF and turned the steering back and forth and level dropped about half way down, but didn't get any better. It's manageable to drive, but trying to back into a slip was a nightmare. I ended up just getting close to a pole and using my strength to get myself in there. Is there a good starting point on what to check? I didn't try the lower helm to see if it was also stiff as well. On plane, it seemed a bit easier, but nothing like I think it should feel. I'd rate it at 4/10 at idle speeds and 6/10 at plane speeds. I did search several different threads on here about steering and didn't seem to help me.

If the boat has been sitting for some time in damp weather I would check the steering cable, disconnect at the transom to see if the cable moves freely or is binding.
    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

X2 on the cable. You are going to want to check the upper and lower cables separately. Also, it's difficult to do a pressure check on the power steering assist system, but there may be a leak in the system. If there's no atf in the bilge, I'd look at the power steering fluid cooler. You may be pumping fluid overboard every time you turn the wheel. The good news is that it's an easy fix. Get the particulars, length, diameter, fitting sizes, and go shopping. If it's the hydraulic assembly, I have a new, never installed mercruiser one gathering dust.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Like Pete said, top off the ps fluid at the pump and monitor it’s level. Double check belt tension is good. Old worn steering cables are often the cause of stiff steering issues.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

if you added power steering fluid and it dropped half way, add some more until it remains at the "full" mark after turning on the wheel... you should hold the wheel hard over one direction for about 10 seconds, then the do the same in the other direction.... cycle this procedure twice in both directions to purge any trapped air, and if the fluid in the reservoir drops, look for any leaks... if none are found, keep adding fluid and going thru the purge procedure until the fluid level remains constant... then you should have good steering.

there should be no noise coming from the steering pump, so if it has a bit of a buzzing sound, it either has an air bubble caught in it, or the pump is damaged. either can cause stiff steering.

and as you have noticed, NEVER buy a boat that you have ONLY seen photos of....

NU LIBERTE'
          Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
          5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
          N2K equipped throughout..
          2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
          2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
          '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
          Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Yeah, that's a hard lessoned learned. I'm meeting with my lawyer tomorrow to go over options. I'm hoping for a refund, but at a minimum, I want the boat to be in the condition he described and showed me, including having parts on it that he said it has, that it doesn't have.

Comment

Since you now have the boat, check the transom using a small hammer. A ball peen or plastic faced, not a claw hammer - the claws grab stuff. Just a light tap should return a sharp sound. If it returns a muffled sound, there may be an issue with the transom plywood reinforcement. It's not fatal, but it's a week or so in the work yard. It's also a statement of condition by the seller representation, just like the gear that is missing. Okay, missing gear. How was the boat shipped? How far and how long in transit? PO may claim that the missing gear was on the boat when the shipping company took possession. The shipping company may have a clause in the contract that they are not responsible for anything that goes missing while they are in possession of the boat.
              I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer. I'm trying to point out evidence for your attorney. Keep smiling, it could be worse.
              P/C Pete
              Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
              1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
              MMSI 367770440
              1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
              Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

2858's OEM upper square shaft will leak almost always since they're stern heavy, especially if moored in saltwater.
                take a good look at the steering lever inside the bilge.
                Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                93 3058 sold
                92 2855 (day boat)
                91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                Longbranch WA
                Life is Good

Comment

• adammlong
                  adammlong commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It was stored in saltwater. I'll check that out.

It's missing the windlass he said it had. Neither bilge pump works nor does the blower motor. Missing a speaker, missing a cubby hole cover on the inside. Boat was claimed to have been on a boat lift all this time, however, it showed up with barnacles growing on it and it was covered in bird poop and just dirty all over. Speedometer also doesn't work.

Comment

Steering is heavy and coming up on throttle is a bit hard to do.

Comment

bilge pumps, blower, speakers, speedometer would be an easy fix.
                    corroded steering cable guide tube is the culprit often times .
                    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                    93 3058 sold
                    92 2855 (day boat)
                    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                    Longbranch WA
                    Life is Good

Comment

These should steer with ease I'm assuming? My 2455 could turn with a pinky.

Comment

DId you buy the boat sight unseen and without a survey or sea trial? Did the seller put As Is Were Is on the bill of sales? If so you might not be able to do much about any of the issues.
                        Your boat should steer easy both on plane or going slow.
                        1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
                        5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

I saw pictures and videos. No survey or sea trial. He did put "as-is" in the bill of sale but I did not sign it as it was sent digitally.

Comment

He stated in an email, "boat is in perfect condition and 100% sea ready"....

Comment

Working...
                            X