norcold fridge amp draw... and amp draw indicator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

norcold fridge amp draw... and amp draw indicator

my boat is equipped with a Norcold DE0051 refrigerator, which draws approx 3 amps.
    but because of the 12v rv refridgerators being able to kill a battery within a few hours, I have been leary about using the fridge on our boat, even though the de0051 uses a danfoss compresser, as opposed to the rv units using a 12v element....

so after purchasing and installing a cheap inductive amp draw meter, I find the fridge uses 1.3 amps when it runs, which is about 50% of the time after its initial cool down... so over a 24hr period, it pulls about 15 amps.
    I have then installed a 200watt solar, which on the best day I have seen it delivering 5.8 amps while everything else (including the fridge) was shut off....

the amp meter shows both outgoing amps and incoming amps, so with the fridge running, I was still showing an input of 4+ amps... so i was surprised at how economical the norcold unit is. it has 5 coldness settings and we run it on 4, which cools the interior down to about 35-36 degrees... on 5 it will freeze everything in the fridge.

the affordable amp meter I took a chance on and purchased is shown here.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/bayite-DC-5...h/273016238373

I mounted the inductive pickup ring over the main cable that runs between the house batt and the mbss, with the solar panel connected to that lug on the mbss.... the mbss doest have to on for the solar charger to charge the batteries, and any current flowing either way thru the house bank cable will be seen by the amp meter, and it has its own switch so it can be shut off when not wanted...in addition to current/amps, it can also be switched to show the voltage that is available in the wire at that point in the system....

NU LIBERTE'
    Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
    5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
    N2K equipped throughout..
    2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
    2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
    '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
    Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

That's a good idea. A major killer of lead acid batteries is failure to get them back up to 100%. with their tailing charge characteristics. That's where solar is great, What is the capacity of your house bank?
    Irony
    Bayliner 4588
    Portsmouth, NH

Comment

Wow that Amp draw is very low/efficient. My fridge is a 1999 vintage and I assume has a Danfoss compressor but draws closer to 7A when running. Might be time for a service/cleaning and recharge. I have a Xantrex LinkPro on the boat with a 450A shunt that measures total amps in/out from all sources. They are very useful for sure.
      Terry
      1999 Bayliner 3388
      Twin Cummins 4BTA
      Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
      Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by TenMile View Post
        Wow that Amp draw is very low/efficient. My fridge is a 1999 vintage and I assume has a Danfoss compressor but draws closer to 7A when running. Might be time for a service/cleaning and recharge. I have a Xantrex LinkPro on the boat with a 450A shunt that measures total amps in/out from all sources. They are very useful for sure.
        A shunt resistor style AH monitoring system is the way to go!
        When the shunt resistor is located correctly, these will indicate AH consumed and AH charged into the house load battery bank.
        Just make sure that the shunt interrupts the Negative path ONLY for the house load battery bank!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Yes - another way to think about it is that the Shunt is positioned on the negative line as the first connection after the battery -- any devices terminated before the shunt will not get measured.
          Terry
          1999 Bayliner 3388
          Twin Cummins 4BTA
          Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
          Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Kwood View Post
            That's a good idea. A major killer of lead acid batteries is failure to get them back up to 100%. with their tailing charge characteristics. That's where solar is great, What is the capacity of your house bank?
            my house bank at this time is a single G31 marine battery.... its not the best setup, but its been adequate up to this point as I have all led lighting and just now have started using the fridge... and even with the single battery, in the morning the meter shows the battery still has a 78% charge.... I was able to confirm the amp draw with my fluke amp-clamp, so at least the amp meter I installed is fairly accurate.

also, the 50% run time (and all other related testing) that I have seen from the fridge was in the summer, so it will be less in these cooler months (and less consumed amps), which is good because the solar wont produce as much in the winter... but when on the hook for a few days, if necessary, its easy enough to start the engine in the am and let it run for an hour to bring the battery up with some bulk charge, then let the solar take over and do what it can throughout the day to top it off the rest of the way....

NU LIBERTE'
            Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
            5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
            N2K equipped throughout..
            2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
            2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
            '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
            Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Sounds good. If you don't draw down that battery more than 40 - 50% it will last a long time.
              Irony
              Bayliner 4588
              Portsmouth, NH

Comment

FWIW and FYI....... the shunt style battery monitoring systems allow us to monitor the more important Amp Hours out/in ...... not just amps or voltage.
                Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

• Centerline2
                  Centerline2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree, which may be important information when one habitually uses an inverter or other high draw device, or spends many days on the hook without wanting to run the engine...which would be nice.
                  But they cost quite a bit more that the $10 "experimental" unit I bought on a whim... after i get used to it, and then it fails due to the environment, i.will have to spring for one of the good quality units...
              Working...
              X