Interesting boat ad in Tampa Bay Times-gctid349238

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting boat ad in Tampa Bay Times-gctid349238

41' Hatteras Twin Cabin Motor Yacht - Twin GM Diesels, generator, marine air, swim platform, new top. Everything works. Cruise anywhere. $29,900. 727-480-8913. Web ID 75497
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

How deep in the water is it??????

Comment

WOW! I don't know much about boat values, but if that is actually the boat, and the engines are even in decent condition, that sounds like a great deal to me.

Am I wrong?

Comment

Why are the photos 2008? The price sounds good... Hattaras is an outstanding boat...
        Doug ;}
        MMSI: 338068776
        "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Without a doubt. Treasure Island is in the right area.He says it runs and damn I love the sound of Detroits. Hats are built like a tank.No I am not going to look at it for myself.I am about 90 miles from it and if someone was really interested I could take a look.Doug
          Started boating 1955
          Number of boats owned 32
          Bayliners
          3870 presently owned

Comment

Steve (Scary), can you shed some light on this? This seems like a dead giveaway. Even if it needed a complete repower, it would still be a bargain!This pic also comes to mind. It is a Hatteras being repowered...

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/652108=24480-engine coming out.JPG[/img]

Comment

Go Aweigh2452 wrote:
              Why are the photos 2008? The price sounds good... Hattaras is an outstanding boat...
              That's a 1967 boat. That's actually a bit on the high side for the year and size. I personally missed a deal on a 72 model 42' MY that had been totally restored and remodeled (nicely) lying in transferable Sausalito Ca., prime slip for $35k. Old boats with 2 stroke engines are expensive to feed and sell for very low prices in excellent condition. When they need any work, you can get people to pay YOU to just take them away in Florida.

Comment

pilothouseking wrote:
                That's a 1967 boat. That's actually a bit on the high side for the year and size. I personally missed a deal on a 72 model 42' MY that had been totally restored and remodeled (nicely) lying in transferable Sausalito Ca., prime slip for $35k. Old boats with 2 stroke engines are expensive to feed and sell for very low prices in excellent condition. When they need any work, you can get people to pay YOU to just take them away in Florida.
                I don't often disagree with you but the statement everything works and it runs would at least warrant a look if I were in the market.

After a time, age doesn't mean much. Its condition. If it is close to what he is saying, where can you get a boat of that quality for that price?

And yes there is always that great deal just missed but you can't say this isn't another with the info available.

If the work he says was done was actually done, the owner must have felt it was worth it. If he is telling the truth about moving, he likely would be willing to take an offer.

Again we can't know from this ad. A phone call to the owner might give some good info.

I am sure the boat will need work. Most all do but if the bones are good and its basically sound it is a good starting point.

Jmo.

Doug
                Started boating 1955
                Number of boats owned 32
                Bayliners
                3870 presently owned

Comment

dmcb wrote:
                  I don't often disagree with you but the statement everything works and it runs would at least warrant a look if I were in the market.

After a time, age doesn't mean much. Its condition. If it is close to what he is saying, where can you get a boat of that quality for that price?

And yes there is always that great deal just missed but you can't say this isn't another with the info available.

If the work he says was done was actually done, the owner must have felt it was worth it. If he is telling the truth about moving, he likely would be willing to take an offer.

Again we can't know from this ad. A phone call to the owner might give some good info.

I am sure the boat will need work. Most all do but if the bones are good and its basically sound it is a good starting point.

Jmo.

Doug
                  Doug,

I regularly professionally appraise vessels for banks, dealers, Courts, and anybody else who hires me to do so. To do so, I use comps (comparable recent sales of comparable condition and equipped vessels) and "supply and demand" of similar vessels on the market, combined with my knowledge of said vessels (known defects, design issues, etc) combined with current economic trends (demand) to make these formal appraisals.

That said, when I see a Craigslist ad for a 45 year old boat with 4 year old photos, and "needs minor cosmetics" (why?)- my suspicions of it's condition doesn't add value to the vessel. In this day of practically every phone having a camera, there's NO reason for 4 year old photos unless the owner is hiding something, which obviously is the way it looks today in 2012.

I've bought, sold, and brokered newer nicer boats for less money than this seller is asking. I can sit here in my desk and go to "yachtauctions.com" and SEE newer, bigger boats ASKING less money, then can drive up to see MANY in one location to ascertain their condition to the asking prices which gives me a bar to value others.

OR I can just look out my window to see newer vessels asking less.

In the same way many ignorant people diss Bayliners because they were priced cheap (compared to other marques at same time),the same people ADD value- with a Hatteras because they were priced HIGHER than others, when new. Just because something costs more (or less) when it was new doesn't translate into actual REAL value years later when TIME has taken it's toll and all have depreciated past normal tables. IF these old Hats had "melt down value" as Aluminum, or Steel built boats, then they would be worth more, because they weighed more, but since they're built out of fiberglass which has zero melt down value and in fact costs you money to legally dispose of, they don't. It costs more money in fuel to push one through the water which subtracts value. Especially if it's old 2 stroke HEAVY smelly, oily engines in them.

BACK WHEN DOCKAGE FOR A 41' Boat was $150.00 a month over there in Pinellas County, then owning one of these old White Elephants wasn't that big of a deal, but NOW when you would be lucky to find dockage there for $500.00 a month ($800.00 here on Gold Coast) then common sense say's "not so much" as right now you can buy Condo's and homes for less money per month. INSURANCE...also required for dockage most places.. factor that in... and this is BEFORE you address the old electrical systems, parts, bottom paint, electronics, etc.

Know where I'm going here?

IF said boat was in pristine condition (like the 1972 41' Hatteras I saw in Sausalito (HIGH VALUE FOR GORGEOUS LOCATION), which was an aft cabin model (2 heads/2 staterooms in transferable slip) with a new interior, new electronics, fresh EXTERIOR paint, new upholstery, fresh generator, fresh batteries, at least a new cheap GPS, then it still wouldn't be worth it's asking price. IF it had transferable end slip at Clearwater Municipal, or in Key West, then that would help it's value purely as "hotel value".

I sold a 69- 67' Chris Craft that had a bank payoff of $675k for $75k. THAT was a pristine Yacht. Bradford Yachts sold a one owner 68' Broward Sportfish with full time Captain, that lived in $3k a month covered dockage that had just undergone a $1.5 MILLION dollar refit with two engines still under warranty, new 17' Tender w/150 HP Honda OB, fresh paint, fresh fuel tanks, just as nice a gold plater you would ever want to see- for UNDER $100k. Right now a big Broward MY is being cut up for scrap (aforementioned melt down value) at Jones Boat Yard and Bradford is selling that big beautiful Striker 67' Sportfish for "change" too.

I'm serious-you can get owners to PAY YOU to take away (KEY WORD!!!) old boats down here. I won't take them for free-because it cost's too much just to dock them, and the liability (fires, cut dock lines, sinking, FINES) they could cause you isn't worth it. I bet you the owner of that Hatteras would take ANYTHING in trade..that rolled IF you would remove HIS liabilty and get that alligator out of his pocket. GO TO MY SITE and look at page "Print ads from the 80's" and SEE what boats were asking back then- they haven't gone up in value.

Comment

I'm goin with divorce on this one... just my thought...:hammer

Comment

PHK, I am sure you are correct in all you say.

Which is why I offered to take a look if someone was interested. Not to survey but to see what it was. But then I am partial to old boats.

The guy saying he was moving means he has to move the boat. That begs an offer.

Anyway I thought it was interesting.

Your remarks makes it sound pretty bad for any boat owner in Florida.

Thanks for giving your opinion. I take it at great value.

Doug
                      Started boating 1955
                      Number of boats owned 32
                      Bayliners
                      3870 presently owned

Comment

dmcb wrote:

Doug
                        Doug, Mine is a 44 tri cabin, '68 model. It has the 8 v 71 diesels and they run like brand new. The price sounds low to me, but maybe now the owner has to move it now. It would need some updates if you wish to do so, but the hulls on these tanks are massive.
                        David
                        http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
                        http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

dmcb wrote:
                          PHK, I am sure you are correct in all you say.

Which is why I offered to take a look if someone was interested. Not to survey but to see what it was. But then I am partial to old boats.

Doug
                          Thank you. I don't think Florida has anything to do with it. It's just the expense of owning old big machines that sit in corrosive (I wash my hands in freshwater) enviroment. I LOVE old designs too. I've bought my share (1928 48' Trumpy (yes they made a handful of sailboats) Cutter, 1959 Derector 39' sloop, 1968 Morgan 38' sloop, 78 CSY 37' Cutter, 1957 International Motorhome owned 12 years, 1950 Matthews 42', and most recently 88 43' Wellcraft Portifino w/Cat diesels that was a 10 on the scale-proved by fact of her new owner taking her on her bottom from Miami to Curacao with no problems-I paid $32k-sold $52k- good deal for both of us-guy I bought her from paid $119k then dumped $60k into her) and a BUNCH of old cars and trucks) and am a sucker for nice lines, and still regularly troll sites looking for Old Travco's, classic cars, and boats, but they ALL have their real value. It's like you hear them repeatedly say at the Barrett-Jackon Auctions- "you want to buy them already restored because you can't afford to do it you'rself for the price you can buy them finished, you're buying the restoraton-the car is free". This REALLY applies to boats.

Back when the price of dockage was in the realm of reality, then buying one of these old boats for a project was something that didn't cost anymore than any other hobby you have, whether playing golf, Mountain biking, or building models, but once that Real Estate craze ran amuck across the US starting in the early 2000's, there were no more reasonably priced places left to keep a project boat in the water, especially in Florida. It's worse in Ct. and Chicago area, where there flat out isn't dockage available and people have to drive to Michigan or go up to RI or over to Long Island and pay through the NOSE. I havebeen in "marina's" that do allow old project boats up in the California delta, but all screamed "RUN BEFORE YOU'RE KILLED" by the "interesting element" who inhabit them. Of course there's the boat Graveyards in Ft. Pierce and Lake Ocheechobee where the land storage is so cheap it's worth paying the monthly rent, but you have to get these project boats there, and then-well, you're there. Hence value of Sausalito boats, who cares if it can move? It's pretty damn nice right where it's sitting.

Comment

Four Pyrates wrote:
                            Doug, Mine is a 44 tri cabin, '68 model. It has the 8 v 71 diesels and they run like brand new. The price sounds low to me, but maybe now it the owner has to move it now. It would need some updates if you wish to do so, but the hulls on these tanks are massive.
                            There's actually one of these sitting in Sausalito "winking" at me right now. Check it out at Marotta Yachts. Location, location, location. Those slips are "impossible" to obtain, so the slip gives the boat strong value, not it's weight. My new wife politely reminds me how we stay in nice hotels when we're there and we can just walk away when we're ready to leave, with no dockage or other expenses while we're gone. Yep, makes sense, but "honey women don't make sense to own either, now that you bring it up". She's way too sweet to tell the old "rule of F in leasing vs buying" lol, but she has a very valid point. Today San Francisco- tomorrow "wherever" and those Kimpton Hotels are really nice!!

Comment

Working...
                            X