Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

East Coasters- Stay Safe Facing Florence!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Coasters- Stay Safe Facing Florence!

I am and always have been a West Coaster. That said, my business travels have taken me to the Southern East Coast areas such as NC and SC- so I know the density of boaters in those areas, and have even had to drive in a hurry inland from Havelock, NC back to Raleigh to avoid an approaching Hurricane.

Every geographic area has its perils, some less than others (we in Puget Sound are waiting for 'The Big One'- a +7.5 Mag Earthquake and possible Sunami). But I'm wondering, what is the protocol for my East Coast brethren when a large Hurricane is taking aim at your marina?

If you have a trailerable boat, I'm sure you are heading inland with it. But for those with larger boats, what do you do? Double up dock lines? Take down the Bimini and put your winter cover on? Call and lower your insurance deductible? (that was a joke...) Or just hope the worst misses you?

Either way, my thoughts and prayers for all those facing the approaching storm. Stay safe! Boats can be easily replaced. Humans not so much.

My boat is stored on a rack this year, they'll close the doors and hope for no wind damage. Some marinas have what they call 'hurricane holes' where you can keep your boat in safety. Never had to use one.
    Bob
    "Easy Living"
    2007 Discovery 246, 5.0L MPI, CC, B3
    Boating on the Rappahannock River, Virginia

Comment

This will be my first time living on the water with the potential of a storm pushing water up the Chesapeake. Fortunately my property is elevated ~10 feet above flood plain.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
        This will be my first time living on the water with the potential of a storm pushing water up the Chesapeake. Fortunately my property is elevated ~10 feet above flood plain.
        Good Luck, stay safe.
        Bob
        "Easy Living"
        2007 Discovery 246, 5.0L MPI, CC, B3
        Boating on the Rappahannock River, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by BobS View Post

Good Luck, stay safe.
          thank you

Mike

Comment

We were here (North Shore of Long Island) during Sandy and we are elevated about 60 feet above sea level so the main issue for us was the winds. We pulled the boat and because it fits in the driveway storage is not a problem but many people left their boats in. Most were ok but a few had un-maintained ground tackle and broke loose. On the South Shore of Long Island it was a whole 'nuther story, flooding everywhere, boats floating off stands and trailers, winding up on major roads, LIRR tracks, people's back yards and pools, etc. And Florence packs much stronger winds and likely much more rain than Sandy....
            In this pic I was driving along the road (at sea level) that leads into my neighborhood about 4 hrs before Sandy arrived, right at high tide. So the water in that spot, was 4 feet higher by then....
            88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
            98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
            07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Looking like the Mid-Atlantic area will be spared for the most part, prayers with those further south.

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X