Contessa Options and Opinions: Model / Engine packages-gctid349154

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contessa Options and Opinions: Model / Engine packages-gctid349154

I may be shopping for a new Contessa and have to consider getting a flybridge or sedan. I think I like the flybridge but have mixed feelings on it, having never been on one.

Now, as to engines... single 8, twin 6's or twin 8's?

Would love to know if anyone could offer some performance numbers to give me a gauge. I like the idea of being able to get home should one engine die, and I like the idea of going fast... but HATE the idea of doubling my gas bill. :-(

So there I am. Any info or opinions would be great.

Of course, if you know of a great deal, please let me know.

I am with you on the twin engines. However, it does not double the gas bill, as they are not working as hard with both running. I DO like the idea of the redundancy though, but not the maintenance of 2 complete powerplants and drives. As for the flybridge, I have always said I wanted one, but if I did get a bridge, I would want a minimum of a 36' with a 12'beam for the stability and the extra room. If I were moving up, I would certainly be looking for a bigger boat, rather than the same size with the upper level.

What happened to yours? Is everything OK?
    Tony, Cape Cod, MA
    Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
    1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
    454 Merc Cruisers inboards
    "HOLODECK"
    2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
    www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

Agree about the stability of a wide beem if you have a flybridge.

As said you will not double the gas with twins. I had twin 5.0's in my Contessa. At a cruise speed with the single, the twins will be loafing WOT will be about 40 mph with twin V8's.

I can't remember the fuel numbers now so what I give would be a guess.

Look at the interior room of both models and I think you will be able to answer for yourself which model. That aft cabin for us made the boat.

From talking to several Contessa owners who installed a duo prop, I think I would go with that over twins. Maybe a bit more horsepower also like a 350 or a 383.

While twins are nice that boat is right on the edge of needing twins and I think close to the same performance could be gained with the mods I mentioned.

What you would gain is less engines and outdrive to maintain and you would have room to work on a single a lot easier. Twins are a bear to work on.

Doug
      Started boating 1955
      Number of boats owned 32
      Bayliners
      3870 presently owned
      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

There are a couple in Vancouver BC craiglist one with twin sterndrives and one with single aq260

Comment

I have a buddy with a contessa sungridge with twin 305s for sale if your interested..... It's a clean boat with an aluminum trailer......

My 1987 contess with a single 350 did 28mph at WOT down hill with a tailwind......... It was great when the water got ruff......

Comment

Doug, I know you're right that I have to get on the boat to see if I like it. The problem is that I love the designer edition and the aft cabin too. I also love things about the flybridge too... oh well, time to start getting on some with the kids I guess.

I'm really torn on the twin engine thing and need to research some performance numbers to see if they can be justified. I've been broken down at times with a single that were flat out scary, so that's really the big thing for me. Honestly, either of those boats with the 260A and a duo prop is all the power and speed I need.

Abigayle... I would LOVE to see what your friend has. Please ask him to send me any pictures and information he has about the boat. He can email me at [email protected]

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

My opinion?

If I were willing to toss some money at repowering, I would find a Volvo powered Contessa single engine, yank the engine, throw a healthy big block in it with a DP, and call it a day. Option 2: I would find an OMC powered Contessa with a 460, yank that, swap to a DPS, and toss an 8.1 in there.

But if I wanted a turnkey boat with Volvos, I would find a factory twin engined Contessa.

It will be tough to improve on the Contessa for the size. It compares favorably to newer 30 footers, but its lighter and simpler than them. They are priced right and are still in demand 25 years later.

Honestly if I were to move up to a cruiser, a used Contessa would be at the very top of the list, followed by a 2955 Avanti.
              Matt Train
              BOC Site Team
              Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Gilligan wrote:
                • 1 wrote:
                • I also love things about the flybridge too... oh well, time to start getting on some with the kids I guess.
                • He can email me at [email protected]

• 1 wrote:
                • Mike, if there's even a remote possibility of you considering a SDN F/B boat, I'd encourage you to go out on one and pilot it from the F/B.

Take your wife and children with you. You'll find it extremely quiet, an excellent view, easy docking from the F/B, and the list, IMO, goes on!

Like exotic women, fine expensive chocolates and fine wines...... once experienced, there's no going back!

(I've experienced only two of the above)
                • Note to self: send Mike's email address to 50 boat brokers. :kidding

Download_Complete wrote:
                My opinion?

Option 2: I would find an OMC powered Contessa with a 460, yank that, swap to a DPS, and toss an 8.1 in there.
                Not sure if the KC transom unit lends itself easily to the DP-S, but there is always the impossible conversion that BOC member Wayne Miller did many years ago!

Wayne did the 460 Ford w/ the AQ series DP-C1 complete swap out and says that he is very happy with what he did.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Twins give you dock side manners that a single can not. Yes, you have more maintenance. IMO it is worth the cost. If I had a choice between a single engine or twin engine of the same boat I would take the twin hands down. Now I could be bias as I had that choice with mine.
                  Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                  1998 3055 Ciera
                  (yes, a 1998)
                  Previous boat: 1993 3055
                  Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                  Sea Doo XP
                  Sea Doo GTI SE
                  Life is short. Boats are cool.
                  The family that plays together stays together.
                  Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

itsabowtime2 wrote:
                    Twins give you dock side manners that a single can not. Yes, you have more maintenance. IMO it is worth the cost. If I had a choice between a single engine or twin engine of the same boat I would take the twin hands down. Now I could be bias as I had that choice with mine.
                    I'd listen to him here on this. The 2955 Avanti (and the 3055 the 29er morphed into) was the eventual replacement for the Contessa. THe sizes are similar, and both were available with single or twins.
                    Matt Train
                    BOC Site Team
                    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I've been on my friends 30' sea ray with the flybridge and I agree that it's a beautiful ride, though I didn't take the helm, and I can even see how docking is so much easier with the line of site. My concern with the flybridge, is how it might feel to hang out on it. I like sitting outside but don't think I'd like to split the party with a few people up top and down below... then again, it's nice to have the kids out and different places for everyone to hang. ARRRGGHH... why can't we have everything? Oh, and like Doug, I LOVE the aft cabin with a real door.

As for the twins, while speed and control are very nice features, I only REALLY want them for safety. Of course, knowing performance numbers will help to figure it out but I think off the top of my head my ideal set up would be dual 6's with duo props.

I'd like to find a flybridge that's local so I could bring my wife and kids so I could get their opinion of both layouts.

Comment

You will have a very hard time finding the twin V6 setup. I have only seen 1 in my whole life, and only on earlier Contessas.
                        Matt Train
                        BOC Site Team
                        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Ive seen a couple with twin outboards, a couple with twin sterndrives and a lot like mine single AQ260

Comment

I guess I can dismiss the twin 6's then. So, it's either a single duo or twin 8 - dare I go duo on the twin 8? :go-

How fast would that baby go?

Comment

Gilligan wrote:
                              .......... So, it's either a single duo or twin 8 - dare I go duo on the twin 8? :go-

How fast would that baby go?
                              I can't tell you what the top speed would be for the Contessa.

With my twin 5.7's and DPs............, w/ B-6's I'm sure that I can break 38 mph. Without the F/B, I'd not be surprised to see 42 +.

The Contessa S/B is smaller, so you'd probably see quite a bit more.
                              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                              2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                              Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                              Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                              X