I Want A Simple To Set Up Simple To Use Android Plotter App-gctid407120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Want A Simple To Set Up Simple To Use Android Plotter App-gctid407120

I use Seaclear on a laptop for most of my around the lake navigation and have done so for a couple seasons now. I had the devils own time setting it up though and it was almost more pain than it was worth and still somewhat quirky though I can live with it. I want now to get an app for my android for use when I don't want the bother of the bigger laptop. Nothing fancy and if I hit a rock due to some quirk in the matrix its my bad, no big deal. The thing I want is a program that uses Raster rather than Vector for better detail and above all SIMPLE TO SET UP. I did the download file conversion thing once and now have half the known world loaded on my laptop taking up space I don't dare to delete for fear of making a bigger mess. So with that in mind who has a simple raster type navigator that has all the goodies established or directly linked to it so I can download what I need simply and just use the thing. No converters, linking and all that ugly stuff. Bells and whistles not necessary , just the basics useable by someone who isn't too overly nerdy and very weak in the file management area:surr:surr:surr I only have 6 months of experience playing with this android phone and just got things back together again after they boogered me up grandly with their Ice cream sandwich update and don't need anymore teccy experiences about now, just KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid like the Drill Sergant used to say.

Vector charts generally has better detail. The only downside is loss of detail when zoomed out, but you get better detail when zoomed in.

There have been a bunch of Android/iOS plotter software discussions here lately, do a search.

Comment

That's definitely worth knowing. My main focus is on getting the darned charts installed where they will work and not ending up with crap all over the place created by my own lack of set up ability. Been there done that and all it took with Seaclear was someone putting forth the exact character set up spelling out just one of the ways it would work that I could follow to the letter and it was all I needed. It was amazing though how hard it was to find something that spells it out that simply. I guess you could compare it to teaching someone a language that doesn't know the alphabet.

Comment

Navionics. Install, select your cruising area on a map, hit download, DONE.

Comment

Holy crap I did it and all by myself :go-:go-. I had Marine Navigator Lite downloaded and somehow managed to download the region 1 charts for the US. It wasn't even a pain which really surprised me. Now all I have to do is go back and toss out all the most of the 374 charts which are of no use to me. The headaches aren't with the app or the platform but rather navigating the darned NOAA website. It sure would be nice if they labled those charts in some fashion rather than numbers. All my screwing around getting Seaclear going paid off as at least I could fumble my way to what I wanted. Too bad I didn't get this brave last weekend . I would like to have been able to see where we were when on a fishing charter around Block Island. Overall this program works as well as Seaclear as near as I can tell without taking it out in the boat yet. I don't really need or use most of the bells and whistles anyways. For the most part I just want to be able to go near to the rockpiles to fish without ruining a prop which is really important this year with the super low water.

One thing that makes this android razor handy is the size of it. While a tad large for phone purposes I couldn't very well deal with a smaller screen being over 50. I can actually see the thing.

Comment

Working...
          X