Chartplotters / Sonar Combo-gctid406973

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chartplotters / Sonar Combo-gctid406973

I am looking for a chartplotter and sonar combo. Does anyone have a favorite? I am looking to spend as little as nessesary for a decent preloaded unit. The GPS function is most important to me just due to the safety that it provides. Do I need to buy special GPS antennas or are they integrated?

Thanks,

RG

Looking to get a chartplotter and maybe a combo with fishfinder. I am looking for something that is preloaded with maps as I am planning a trip to Lake Erie in 2 weeks. Does anyone have a favorite? Do I need external GPS antennas or are they integrated.

Comment

Been happy with my Garmin stuff.

Your budget?

Hardtop or open boat?

If you have a hardtop an external antenna would be good. If open the integrated antenna will work fine.

Comment

My last boat had a Garmin GPSMAP 441S

The new one has a Eagle FishStrike 1000(?) made by Lowrance with the external antenna.

The wife said for my birthday I am getting a new Garmin 521S unit as she extremely dislikes the FishStrike
        Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

I have recently had the garmin 521s, which was ok for cruising, but I found the tracking/trails and sonar pretty useless...recently that unit was stolen so I decided to switch it up to the lowrance elite 5 as it is in the same price range...both units are entry level but all I need...

hands down I prefer the lowrance, for navigation, map, tracking, and sonar (funny lots of reviews show people prefer garmin map better)

I have a hard top and both units have never failed to pick up signal using only integral antenna

also note the garmin required the purchase of map software, the lowrance came with navionics gold...if memory serves me that made the lowrance unit slightly cheaper

either way both will work, but i much prefer lowrance

Comment

A nice small unit is the Garmin 540s. The bigger version is the 740s

The Simrad NSS 7 is a nice machine, perhaps my favorite at this time.

Comment

I like the Lowrance, if you get a HD model you can add fuel flow, capacity and a lot of other MNEA 2000 items down the road. The Elite 5 is a nice unit and a lesser price than the HD models.

Ken
              300SD all options sold.

Comment

You have the same thread going on in each section on the board no need to post it so many times. When you use the feature new posts they all come up.

Ken
                300SD all options sold.

Comment

I have this one: http://www.gpscity.ca/lowrance-elite...rtplotter.html

Quite happy with it. This particular bundle came with Canadian coastal waters and most major lakes preloaded. I think that little chip is $2-$300 bucks if purchased separately. I use it under the rag top of the 265 with only the internal antenna with no issues.
                  Mike & Dixi
                  2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
                  Closed Cooling

Comment

actually thinking that was the ONLY smart purchase the former owner made . . . enjoying both of them . . . still learning on them too . . . . upgraded the software last week and am learning some of that too . . . . damn things know when I sneeze!
                    1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - for sale - Dredge Harbor, NJ
                    Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
                    WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
                    James H. Stradling

Comment

I have a Humminbird combo unit.

The fish finder is far superior to the Lowrance I have on the lower bridge and it takes Navionics chart sims which in my view are the best system. Unlike Garmin Blue Chart you can zoom out and not lose detail like marks.

Comment

Working...
                      X